Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 05:52PM

The Salt Lake Tribune also covered this story:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/51778199-79/utah-companies-calls-character.html.csp?page=1

The owner of the unethical companies, Forrest S. Baker III, is a graduate of BYU in Utah. He lives in a mansion valued at about $5 million, in Salt Lake City.

During one of Baker's telemarketing campaigns Verizon wireless customers received 500,000 calls in a 10-day period. Verizon sued Baker and won.

Baker owns eleven call centers. Some of his prime clients are police organizations. For every dollar Baker collects, the police charities receive about eight cents.

Baker's telemarketing companies rely on the fact that the the Do Not Call registry does not apply to charities.

Seems highly likely that most of the money being solicited via phone calls for police charities and firemen's charities is being funneled to a mormon business. The main, mormon, big wig in the business works for police charities nationwide, and not just in the western states.

I think the way it works is that Forest S. Baker III actively solicits clients that he can claim are non-profit, charitable organizations, then uses them to harass people over the phone for donations.

In addition to calling people on the Do Not Call list, Baker's companies deceived customers -- deception being apparently allowed under the "doing God's work" clause.

Quotes below are excerpted from the Salt Lake Tribune article:

"A Utah company and the Federal Trade Commission have filed dueling lawsuits against each other, with federal regulators alleging the Murray [Utah] company made 16 million calls to people on the National Do Not Call list and deceived customers...."

"The FTC filed its lawsuit Thursday in Tallahassee, Fla., alleging Feature Films for Families Inc., Corporations for Character L.C. and Family Films of Utah, and their owner, Forrest S. Baker III, violated the Federal Trade Commission Act and the Telemarketing Sales Rule."

"The FTC lawsuit states that in 2008 and 2009 the companies conducted a nationwide calling campaign under the name 'Kids First.'"
-----------

[In other words, Baker's companies and employees were using a non-profit for cover to solicit money.]
-------------

"Under its agreement, the coalition was to receive at least 7 percent of the revenues generated by the sales of DVDs and Feature Films for Families was to keep up to 93 percent in addition to shipping and handling costs. It also had the right to use consumer information it gained from the phone campaign for its own purposes...."
--------

[Using a very thin false front as a charitable organization to make money for the for-profit company. Sounds like the LD$ church.]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Green bush ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 08:00PM

I used to work for the scamming company too they treat there employees like shit it's the worst company to work for they scam there customers all the time.Like once more said we only put them on a 6 month call back or a one year call back even if they said they do not want to be called ever again or have anything do do with FFFF take me off the call list but never happens. then they made a campaign to get around the do not call list by saying there a none profit organization & would send out free dvds but would still charge the customer.Or they would just send a dvd to a customer with out them knowing stating if you dont want it to send it back or they would charge them for it. A lot of shit went on when I worked there.

Date: May 09, 2011 06:22PM

A person who used to work for the scammers posted this comment on the Salt Lake Tribune website:

"Feature films for families policy about telemarketing is that if you tell them not to call you they put you on a 6 month call back list. If you threaten to come blow them up and sue the crap out of them they put you on a 1 year call back. I worked there!! They are pure hard sell crap."

Date: May 09, 2011 06:35PM

Here's a blog post from 2009 that describes and analyzes the Feature Films for Families scam.

http://jgfilmfan.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-studio-makes-wrong-call.html

It begins with a telemarketing call.

Excerpt from the blog post comments (December, 2010):

"Found an FFFF movie at a thrift store and I bought it for its kitsch appeal... thought it would be funny. "In Your Wildest Dreams" from 1991.."

"I watched the whole thing, and now I'm kind of obsessed with the sacharine soaked heavy handed mormon themes and opiated pace."

"It's such a strange tone. Especially the storyline revolving around artificial intelligence. Baker wrote the movie, and is of course the executive producer,.."

Posted by: anonanon ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 06:52PM

I know 2 ppl who have worked with Baker on totally different fronts. THis guy is as phony as the LDS church with a bombastic ego & operating mode that rivals filth bag MORmON founding Joe Smith.

One was a mechanic that works on/ helps Maintain Baker's personal little fleet/ collection of 60's & 70's Hemi powered Mopar Muscle cars, & Lamgborghinis. Forrest was excited to go to the Silver State classic auto race, he warmed up for the festivities by drinking, heavily. THERE IS A GOOD MORmON FOR YOU!

Baker wanted to take his Lambo out to show it off. When it was finally time to go to the race even Baker realized that he was way too schloked to be driving at all let alone in a 200 MPH plus capable highly expensive exotic car. SO baker recruited my friend to pilot the Lambo out to Ely for him. Lucky deal for my friend, lots of fun blowing away challenging Porsches on the way out & all he had to do to earn the privilege was put up with Baker's booze breath for a couple of days.

The other person was female who did Data entry for Baker's sales boiler rooms. Yah the guy totally targets LDS/conservative types as his customer base
while promoting conservative family values. He also targets vulnerable staff females for diversional whoopee sessions in his personal hot tub at his nearby office. Frankly this woman was probably a little peeved that she was never invited /included, because she needed to lose some serious pounds if she really wanted to get some poundage, and yes I am tellin on an ex spouse! I heard all about the set up from her.
hot tub seduction -yah there is your real MORmON style Joe smith version of "family values"! phony POS MORmONS!

At one point when Baker wanted to raise some cash, he mailed a pre packaged collection/assortment of top FFFF videos to his best customers and pre charged those with credit cards on record. And made the selected customers return the package in order to refuse the sale that he was jamming down their throat. VERY PUSHY!( INconsiderate) AND Illegal as Hell! Surprised he wasnt busted for that & for something LONG before now, knowing how the POS operates.

I can not comprehend this kind of ultra wormy two faced self entitled self serving ego.

Date: May 09, 2011 07:34PM

It's interesting to see that the family-values pose is only skin deep with Forrest S. Baker III.

His sales technique of charging credit cards for sales to which customers did not agree is the same as the technique used by Jeremy Johnson, a mormon bigwig who lives in St. George, Utah. Johnson is the focus of another FTC lawsuit. (SunFirst bank, gambling money, money laundering, more than 50 shell companies used to charge customers for "memberships" and for questionable merchandise, using credit cards often without the customer's knowledge.)

These guys are ripping people off on a nationwide basis.

You'll find them both appearing in Mormon Times, Deseret News, and on lists of "most influential mormons."

Posted by: Carrie Karlton ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 06:26PM

Baker's phone number: 801-261-3805

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 06:35PM

He deserves to have the crap called out of him.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 06:46PM

After my first divorce when my oldest daughter was 2, I was a live-in nanny at the Baker home. There were 5 children. His wife stayed in her bedroom all day while I drove the kids to school and kept them entertained. Everything was fine until I got a boyfriend. Then Forrest started telling me that he was in love with me. He had already been exed and rebaptized two times. At the time he was a member in good standing. Most likely due to the millions in tithing money. His wife had a curio full of Lladro figurines because every time he cheated he would buy her a new one. This was in 1989, shortly after he started "Family Films". He said this was part of his repentance process, to make wholesome movies available to families.

Posted by: my experience ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 11:54AM

I use to clean for Mr.and Mrs. Baker and he was nice he was hardly ever there their home is beautiful. The kids all have their own bathrooms.and I worked. Hard to keep the house clean it was always clean

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 04:10PM

And what does that have to do with him running a scam?

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 04:46PM

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 05:07AM

This is not a common name. Do you know if his parents lived in Lubbock, TX?

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 05:35AM

Mr Baker has houses for his mistresses and is a compulsive gambler. His business practices are shady to say the least. I have never met someone with a bigger ego.

He is incredibly bright and eccentric unfortunately all that led to was horrible outdated crappy movies sold in dishonest ways.

Posted by: CCLETZGO ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 01:28PM

Baker is an LDS predator. They are the people that use the religion for profit. I live n the neighborhood in Murray that he used to live in and we would see him having make out sessions with various girlfriends in his car. He wouldn't even leave his own damn neighborhood to carry on his shenanigans. He is so over weight and unattractive its obvious the women thought they would get a nice payday from the affair. Sat. May 28 '16 tribune had a follow up to his court hearing. He got slapped with an absolutely HUGE fine for making calls to numbers on the "do not call list"

Posted by: Yuo ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 12:03PM

Forrest is my uncle so I know lots about his issues. Despite getting a three TRILLION dollar fine, he still tells his employees to practice shady telemarketing. I also think he isn't a good person in general, his wife, my aunt has died of breast cancer and all the things she had to go through before her death had to of been horrible.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 01:27PM

Just for grins I searched for Forrest S. Baker III and this thread comes up second. That's some good search engine optimization!

I suppose that is why relatives and former employees keep showing up to share their stories.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 09:40PM

His parents named him after the founder of the ku klux klan ?

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 10:03PM

Wouldn't he be named after his father? (he's "III")

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 10:34PM

Good point.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.