Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 02:31PM

Sorry, I don't have an believable story to to relate, just curious if you've ever heard of or known of someone who was "hit by a testimony" in sort of a Saul/Paul on the road to Damascus-type conversion? Besides wanting to hit on a morman girl/boy I can't think of a single reason anyone would.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 02:32PM

As you say, it's for hormones, if at all.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 02:44PM

Or, that could be one of his many stupid fabrications.

Posted by: Washed and Disappointed ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:23PM

No. He was fairly ignorant of Mormonism until he took interest. It was one of those conversions where he was at rock-bottom, and he was lured in by a "too-special-to-be-true" acquaintance. He figured if the church made this guys' family so happy, he should check it out.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:31PM

Went back and was re-baptized... He was one of what I've come to characterize as the "Co-dependent Caretaker Types," and he once hollered at me for not recognizing whose side he was on...

Later, after having a particularly hard time here, he went elsewhere and argued that RFM folks weren't interested in hearing stuff that didn't involve "maxiumum demonization of Joseph Smith."

The caretaker sorts invalidate the abuse many here have suffered (having intellectualized their own experiences rather than actually acknowledging its full impact on their personhood, IMHO), and my e-box has a number of complaints... I'm not in charge, however, but I did nickname one "The Dowager Empress" and another "Her Barren Sister" because the mixed messages they keep sending are particularly ludicrous as well as dishonest. Board rules, however, prohibit personal attacks, and since these sorts are hyper-sensitive to anything remotely resembling criticism and shriek convincingly, the situation persists.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:35PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:21AM

Posted by: rodriguez ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:33PM

Posted by: Nonnie (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:50PM

There's a book called "From critic to convert : a critic challenges his way to Mormonism" (Bountiful, Utah: Horizon Publishers & Distributors, 1995), by Willard Morgan. Haven't read it, though.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:36PM

My grandfather says that during his attempt to prove the church false, he ended up proving it true. He was the first convert in our family. Now the rest of the family parrots that story as if they actually followed the research that he did (which they haven't).

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 07:40PM

How many people have vowed never to buy a vacuum cleaner from a door to door salesman and in the process of trying to refute the salesmans claims end up not only buying one but believing that this vacuum cleaner will cure just about everything healthwise and make them live alot longer! Door to door religion is the same.

Posted by: NINA ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:50AM

I definatedly have met a number of anti-christ Jews having convertrd and their number increases every day, Even Muslims where they can get killed for it. One of my friends was a PLO fighter and is now a Christian and loves Jews, as did the youngest son of the Hamas founder turned from Islam to Christ. I hear it coming more from the Middle East, google 'exmuslims'

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:55AM

Once you learn that Santa Clause isn't real, you can't go back to believing in him again.

Posted by: nevermo ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:38PM

an associate did just that,[ we lived in utah ] he was always talking about what a b.s. artist joe was, how could otherwise intelligent people believe that crap, would debate tbm's etc. etc. and he was a very good creative writer, he told me the following: he realized he could'nt disrupt mormonism, but seeing the VAST wealth of the church, he approached church leaders with an idea, he would write short faith PROMOTING stories for pay,as a nonmember sympathetic to lds views and this he did, i read a few, and what a load of shit it was, he was laughing the whole time, a few months later he did his underwater dive for"the one true church" , with the requisite increase in pay of course,he still didn't believe any of it, but was laughing all the way to the bank, i still don't know what to make of him, what say you

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:02PM

How can you laugh all the way to the bank when you have to give 10%+ of it back?

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:16PM

But always in the hour of their death and never in the presence of any witnesses who were not zealots themselves.

Even communists will tell you about priests and cardinals who became good, clean-living, bible-bashing, commie atheists on their deathbed. Or before the firing squad. Whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.