Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 01:33PM

A family member told me they are assigned cleaning duties (vacuuming, toilets etc) on Sunday after church because there is no longer a custodian that comes in weekdays.

Every use of the chapel is followed by a cleaning session of the rooms used and toilets.

I'm not sure if this is Australia wide, or even in other stakes in Brisbane.

When do members clean the chapels elsewhere?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 05:13AM

Yeah, that's what *I* thought!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 05:13AM by matt.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:57PM

working for the Lard is not only acceptable, but encouraged.

Of course, working for money is not always wrong either - just ask Steve Young.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:08PM

Each ward is divided into 5 groups alphabetically. THere are 2 wards using our building. So it amounts to one Saturday morning every other month for each member. And its still like pulling teeth to get people to show up. I used to be one of the group captains.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:26PM

That makes sooooo much sense!!! And with children running around in their sunday best clothes too.
I bet the women and men in their sunday shoes would just love the opportunity to spill toilet bowl cleaner on their feet!!!!

Ikkkkk! Ouch!!!

I've cleaned a motel where the bowl cleaner accidently hit the carpet and ate the threads off down to the rubber backing!!!
The hole was the size of a quarter. So I grabbed some spray on adhesive, plucked some carpet threads out of the carpet next to the wall where it wouldn't be missed and glued them back on to the bare spot.

I just can't imagine cleaning anything after church in my best clothes with hungry hyperactive kids to look after when we'd just finished a three hour bore-fest of meetings!!!

Well some people must be masochists.........:(

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:32PM

This is such a huge joke.

I've helped clean a temple after Sat. sessions, but a chapel, on a Sunday? So funny...

yuk yuk, stupid cult...

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:42PM

I remember having to go to our church building one saturday to help clean. When I found out there were no custodians to keep up on cleaning the bathrooms I got completely and utterly disgusted and from then on only used the bathrooms if I couldn't wait to get home!

Even to this day if for whatever reason I have to go to a church building I notice the bathrooms just aren't as clean as they could be and think how probably it's like pulling teeth trying to get members to volunteer so maybe they have to skip weeks for lack of volunteers??

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:42PM

I am so glad I'm out. I'd be shaking my head and saying "I don't clean any place but my own - sorry chaps" "Anyway, I'm hardly dressed for a scrubbing session now am I? After all, we ladies are required to attend church in our heels, stockings and best frock"

A scrubber I am NOT.

So there!

Briggy

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:49PM

On Saturday mornings. One week it's YM/YW, another it's RS, a few weeks ago they called DH to clean with the Elders' Quorum. Thankfully, he had to work that Saturday morning because TBM DH would have gone and the fact the members clean the buildings just drives me crazy. It's up there with Fast and Testimony meeting and wearing garments on my list of Things I Just Have to Put My Foot Down On. I'm willing to compromise a lot to work things out with DH but I draw the lines at cleaning toilets for free for a multi-billion dollar, multi-national company who's product I don't believe in - in fact, that I find harmful.

But at least it's not on Sunday.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:12PM

I think Jesus should do it.

"Let us go down and clean those toilets the way that they used to be cleaned, like unto the '70s when we used to pay our janitors."

"Let us go down Jehovah."

"We will go down."

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:26PM

The last I heard the temples were cleaned by custodians. It sounds like that has changed too. So who cleans the temples now? Who dose the grounds of the buildings? Is all of it done by joes members?

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:58AM

Both my son and SIL have had assignments cleaning the SLC temple. They both thought it was a wonderful experience. One of them was assigned to the locker room. I asked if anyone got to do the Holy of Hollies? Maybe in the spirit of everyone participating, God and Jesus rotate cleaning that sacred room.

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:09AM

Both my son and SIL have had assignmnets to clean the SLC temple. They both thought it was a great experience, an honor.
One of them was assigned to clean a locker room.

I asked if anyone got to do the holy of holies? In the spirit of everyone participating, it wouldn't surprise me if God and Jesus rotate cleaning that room. Hey, its their house.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:39AM

Nothing like putting on high heals and a nice dress to clean in.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:05AM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:05PM

so they can change into them to clean the building. Ya. That works!
I wonder how long people will keep coming to church if they have to clean it before they can leave.
This nonsense started after I left.
I think I would take money out of my contributions to pay someone to professionally clean the church!!
Ever see how some people clean their own houses?
I would NOT want to use a bathroom after their so called ...cleaning!!!

Posted by: jhughes1973 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:22PM

it appears to be a wide reaching rollout to save money.

In the UK, my TBM wife was approached and assigned her cleaning duty.
She was furious and refused to do it.

She hid behind me a little but i had no problem with that.
They have also removed the missionary cars and hinted they want members to become a taxi service for them.

She won't be doing that either !!!!

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 05:23PM

when I got out of SM! See ya, I'm outta here. TSCC shoots itself in the foot again. Soon it won't be able to walk. LOL

Posted by: AussieJohn ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:32PM

ozpoof, any chance you could contact me. I'm in Brissie too.
Great old mormon friend of mine is a "team leader" of cleaners in the Brisbane temple. I sigh, she says, "now Johnny, I'm doing my bit." Poor love, she's been doing it for 51 years now

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.