Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:00PM

In another thread, a news article reported that a Mormon woman named McGraw in Roanoke, Virginia, had been told to stay away from church because she was a disrupting influence and had complained to church leaders that she didn't like what her daughter was being taught. Her bishop told her husband that he would like to meet with her, because he had prior experience “fixing other strong-willed, independent-minded women,” according to the lawsuit filed by the woman, alledging defamation.

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but it reminded me of when my TBM daughter and her husband (former bishop) were visiting us a few years ago. We had never had a chance to spend much time together. After my son-in-law had gotten to know my wife, he commented to her: "You would not make a very good Mormon."

She said, "Oh, that is one of the nicest compliments I've had in a long time! Thank you!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mom2boys ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 02:32AM

Love it!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 10:47AM

Wow, an honest former bishop. How rare! :)

Is your daughter (and her hubby) still TBM?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 11:00AM

Truth is.....mormonism doesn't make a very good YOU.

That's what TBM's are missing.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 12:09PM

"After my son-in-law had gotten to know my wife, he commented to her: "You would not make a very good Mormon."

As if your wife was *trying* to be a good Mormon.

That reminds me of the oft-repeated Mormon backhanded compliment: "He/she's a pretty good person, even though he/she's not a member of the church."

As if Mormons are the only good people.

Posted by: notrealistic ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 07:44PM

I think sometimes they fall for their own advertising and assume that everyone is just waiting for their 'truth' and miserable and incomplete til they've found it. Always smile and act like the church makes you transcendentally happy because if you act like you aren't happy you'll scare them away from the truth. Except that in the first place how happy an idea makes you is entirely irrelevant from it's truth, in the second place in my experience the moment you have any doubt at all your life becomes a living hell, and in the third place this is very clearly an Amway model which has never been anything but creepy and stepford.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.