Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 09:14AM

Cool. 240K in tithing from a crook. The church NEVER discourages Utah's abundant crop of fraudsters & scammers. Maybe now, after getting dragged to court (and more importantly- bad publicity) the church will speak out against these criminals, instead of turning a blind eye while accepting their stolen loot. They'll kick people out for speaking up, drinking alcohol or being gay, but they gladly welcome financial crooks-as long as they get their cut.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4291349-155/draper-man-accused-of-24m-heist

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 09:29AM

Isn't that funny?

Is happy to screw whomever he can get money out of, but by gawd, he's gonna pay his tithing! Lmao I hope he cools his heels in time out for a long time.

Date: August 30, 2016 09:58AM

I can't believe (well, yeah, I can) that the church & it's lawyers are fighting to not give back 240K of peoples stolen retirement funds. I hope someone connects this story to national news outlets. Then, you'd see a PR release on how magnanimous the church is being in making sure the poor, innocent victims are getting restitution.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:33AM

Religious freedom means you get to keep stolen property. I hope TSCC fights it all the way to the Supreme Court.

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 01:23PM

Jehovah, Michael,

See; yonder are retirement funds pilfered! Go ye down and collect those funds and squander them on real estate holdings like unto the other real estate holdings that we have heretofore created.

Call your labors "legally justifiable" and return and report...

Date: August 30, 2016 04:24PM

Yep. And don't forget;
"Ye shall employ unscrupulous barristers to protect your rights to ill gotten gains."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 05:01PM

All tithing is stolen from families headed by irresponsible parents.

Date: August 30, 2016 05:14PM

They're involved (some unwittingly) in a huge conspiracy to commit larceny/extortion. I wonder how close church leaders come to violating RICO statutes?

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 05:30PM

I guess the whole avoid "the very appearance of evil" does not apply in this situation?

Orwell was meant to be a warning rather than an instruction manual.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 05:36PM

I thought I saw that it was 13:30 in church when I was at my sister's homecoming talk a couple weeks ago...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 06:14PM

It's God's money, the US Gov'ment can't have it.

When will the SEC and IRC understand that!?

"If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." (Aaron L. West, Sacred Transformations, December 2012)

Hey, this church does, and they're not even mormons!

http://www.ccclife.org/tithing/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 06:36PM

I hope that the Mormon church is forced to give back every penny -- as it should. Shame of the church for fighting this.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 06:50PM

If the church had any sense of decency, the money would have been handed over by the church as soon as evidence of fraud and swindling came to light. How dare they profit from someone else's retirement savings?

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 07:35PM

Is there not something in the super secret manuals regarding the non acceptance of tithing from gambling? I thought I re,mebered reading something along that line.

One would think this is another example of what shoukd be comsidered "ill gotten"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 07:43PM

Calm, calm, everyone.

When the retirees can't afford to eat because they've been swindled, I'm sure that tithing money will open the gates of the Bishop's Storehouse and they can go in with their little pre-approved list for canned peaches and Wonder Bread.

Isn't the Lord wonderful with all his (hidden) blessings?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 01:07AM

This is not a large amount of money.

It will cost the morg more $ in billable attorney's hours to defend this lawsuit.

But getting any money back from the morg is like pulling teeth, even for the SEC

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.