Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 07:49PM

then they're more accurately described as personal delusions." Niel deGrasse Tyson

Delusion: Persisting in maintaining an erroneous belief, despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 08:42PM

So very true!!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 09:01PM

Which means there is no settling on a particular belief and no end to learning. Not a comfy place to be for most people.

Date: August 29, 2016 09:08PM

Which is why, when asked during a debate, what would change your mind, Ken Ham said, "Nothing" and
Bill Nye said, "Evidence",
which pretty much sums up the whole problem with Modern US society.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 10:06AM

Hit THAT nail on the head.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 10:52PM

I would hope most people base their beliefs largely on logical evidence. But I'd be hesitant to accept every claim that scientist put out. I still find it hard to believe that we all came from monkeys. Maybe some people did but not me. Just sayin... :^)

Date: August 29, 2016 11:03PM

The great thing about science is that it's true despite your beliefs to the contrary.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 09:30AM

And that it doesn't want your "belief."
It just presents the evidence.

Oh, and by the way, we *didn't* come from monkeys. We and monkeys share a common ancestor :)

Date: August 30, 2016 10:44PM

Some of us have trouble imagining how tree branches work.

http://www.pasttime.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ape-Family-tree.jpg

Primates branched off from other Mammals about 65 Million years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution#Early_evolution_of_primates

7 million years ago the earliest bipedal primates branched off from our common ancestor with our closest living relatives, Chimpanzees and Bonobos.

Humans (Homos, our genus, of which there have been 16 or 17 species), stone tool makers, didn't come along until almost 3 million years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

The first Homo Sapiens (our sub-species, which includes 6 other subspecies) didn't come along until about 200,000 yrs ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omo_remains

In that time there have been 7 different species of Homo Sapiens including us, that we know of and two we only recently discovered that are much more modern than the other 5 species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomically_modern_human#Terms_and_classification

We are discovering more all the time.

The various combinations of their DNA, makes up our DNA. We all consolidated into one species, through hybridization.

We are the last, not the first.

I have 2.8% Neanderthal DNA in my Genes and so do you. If you're Eurasian descent you have 2-4% Neanderthal DNA in your genetic makeup. If you're Asian descent you could have an additional 5% Denisovan DNA. Papua New Guineans are up to 9% "Archaic Human" (Denisovan and Neanderthal).
Africans are none.
African Bush Men are closest to Homo Sapiens Idaltu, the First Wise Man. We're all hybrids. Even Africans are many different huybrids, different combinations of all the many differnt species of Humans that have co-existed and interbred with our species, up to 17 and still counting.

There are lies
Damned lies and
genetics

If you reject the genetic evidence due to your personal beliefs,
They're closer to personal delusions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 10:55PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 11:11PM

Hey! the NT testifies that evolution is God's preferred method. Jesus--a superior godlike being--was born of a lower species, Homo Sapiens. This is why he wasn't married, being the only member of a new species, he couldn't reproduce. ;-)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 09:39AM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> then they're more accurately described as personal
> delusions." Niel deGrasse Tyson

I always find myself in a bit of a defensive stance with you. I agree with this statement with one caveat. One must know and understand the objective truth to subsequently delude themselves. I think that Mormons more often find them in the category of willfully ignorant. They do not wish to learn the things that would cause them question their personal beliefs.

>
> Delusion: Persisting in maintaining an erroneous
> belief, despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Agreed. Just remember one must in possession of the evidence to persist in maintaining an erroneous belief.

Date: August 30, 2016 10:02AM

There is no conversation more boring than one where everybody is in agreement.
Mormons subscribe to the self deluding practice of "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." And anything that doesn't lead to their untimate conclusion, the Church is true, is evil and therefore, dismissed out of hand. It's an ends justify the means attitude. Everything is relative, even morality. Joseph's Myth humped the teenage househelp? Oh, no problemo! That was common back then!
Oh, he "married" his followers wives? You're a gd liar! Wait, the church published it? Oh, well, it was just for eternity, not time. Where is the law that permitted that? This conversation is over!

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:45AM

Good one, Koriwhore! Your last several sentences read like a battle between the voices in your head! ;)
Peace out. -edzachery

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:47AM

This entire discussion just makes me smile. You guys (and girls) out there on RfM are incredibly amazing! Thank you so much for the smiles and giggles. Sincerely, edzachery.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 10:57AM

gbl, I wanna see the movie of your life.
Let's get Hugh Jackman to be you...and Penelope Cruz to be the crazy Costa Rican girlfriend with the knife. Box-office gold, I say! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 11:02AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:15AM

I was going to suggest the same damn thing! Movie worthy!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:17AM

In San Jose, Costa Rica, there's an infamous brothel, the Hotel Del Rey... just sayin...

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:04AM

Getbusylivin,

May I take a screenshot of your post so that I can refer to it when I am beating myself up for similar and worse decisions?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 11:09AM

Sure, Kathleen. Don't touch it, though. It might be contagious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.