Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 06:54PM

I was doing my daily obituary search and found this one:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=reed-amussen-benson&pid=181209519&fhid=32272

I'm really surprised with all of his connection and "experience" that he wasn't a full blow GA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William F. Buckley, Jr. ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 07:54PM

> I'm really surprised with all of his connection
> and "experience" that he wasn't a full blow GA.

I believe the answer to that inquiry lies in four words:

The John Birch Society,

of which looney tune organization Reed Benson was a tireless shill, even infecting the already addled mind of his unfortunate father, Mormon President and Depends underwear model Ezra Daft Benson.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 11:31PM

Hi Bill!

Guess you've been rolling over in your grave so much lately that you popped all the way out.

Woops--politics! sorry!

Posted by: Mythb4meat ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 08:06PM

.....This is Steve's uncle, and brother of Mark Benson. I knew Reed a little bit, from the BYU campus days...and also chatted with him once in the SLC airport. Anyway, I guess Steve will be coming to Provo this week for the service on Sept 1st......

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 08:13PM

My condolences to our fellow poster Steve Benson.

No matter what a relative may do or be in life (with few exceptions) it can be tough when they pass away. It is understandable to have feelings for people we are related to. I have felt close to relatives overseas I had never met or rarely seen, especially when there is a strong family resemblance or shared family stories and traditions.

You can't help the family you're born into. Hopefully there isn't too much guilt by association attributed to folks who are related to people others have reasons to dislike or disapprove of.

What may be intriguing family history to us is somebody else's actual life.

So, condolences to Steve at this time of loss in his family.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 11:59PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 08:36PM

Thanks, Nightingale, for expressing that so well.

Sending the same thoughts along to Steve.

Posted by: ^ ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 10:33PM

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 10:34PM

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed having Reed Benson as the teacher for a couple of religion classes at BYU more than 35 years ago. There were always little whispers and snickers in the classroom as students compared his appearance and voice to Maxwell Smart (Don Adams from the Get Smart TV show). A highlight of each semester was when Reed Benson would, without warning, pull off his shoe and start speaking into it like a phone. The class would erupt in shocked laughter, happy he was in on the joke and could laugh at himself.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 10:47PM

Great anecdote, 2thdoc!!

Thank you!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 10:48PM

My condolences, Steve...to you and to your family.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 10:56PM

I went back to college when I was nearing age 40. (it didn't last long). I had Reed for a Book of Mormon class. I was a devout member then but his teaching were so far out there, I looked around the room and thought that these poor freshmen were getting brainwashed!

Condolences to Steve and family.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 10:57PM

I was warned by my roommates to not take Reed's courses at BYU. I should have listened to their advice. His Book of Mormon class was absurdly and unapologetically difficult, to the point where I spent more time memorizing tedious scriptures for his 2-unit course than I did for my secular 3-unit courses. The class, which I believe got me my only 'C' grade at BYU, consequently brought down my GPA and I have Reed to thank for that.

I suppose Reed had his moments in retrospect, but he was not my cup of tea. To me he came across as a typical BYU religion instructor - smug and sanctimonious, which I now realize were prerequisites for the job.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 11:28PM

My condolences to the Benson family.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 28, 2016 11:31PM

Sending condolences also to the Benson clan.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 01:47AM

So sorry for the loss of your uncle, Steve.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 02:11PM

My deepest sympathy to you, Steve, and to your family.

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 02:22PM

Condolences, Steve.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 04:56PM

Condolences to Steve on the loss of your uncle.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: August 29, 2016 06:20PM

I believe it was Reed Benson who sold me a set of Saladmaster pots and pans and a set of knives in my parent's living room when I was 18 back in 1975. My mom said I needed to buy them for my "hope chest" and establish some credit PLUS he was Ezra Taft Benson's son so how could I say no? I still have those pots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2016 06:21PM by contrarymary.

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 02:17AM

Posted by: Reed Smith ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 01:02PM

As Reed Benson's senior missionary Assistant for almost a year, I got to know him well, and had a number of experiences that reflected his unique personality. Here are a few of my favorites:

Once we all (my companion, Reed, his wife May, and several of the kids) went to an "Up With People" (UWP) concert. As usual, I sat next to RB in case he needed me to do anything for him.

Anyway, UWP began singing a song, called "What Color Is God's Skin," intended to emphasize that He had no color and was God for all people of color. The seemingly endless refrain, "What Color Is God's Skin" was repeated over and over again, ad nausea. Finally, RB leaned over to me, and with his characteristic smirk, whispered, "White."

On another occasion, once my companion lost his wallet, which resulted in a thorough search of the mission office without success. The next day we were all kneeling in the usual morning prayer at the mission office. I was asked to give the prayer, and gave what I thought was a very good, humble, and thorough prayer. However, when we all started to get up afterword, RB stayed down and without lifting his head, said, "Elder Smith, Why don't you add a little P.S. about Sheldon's wallet? So we all went down again, and I added the P.S.

Finally, just before I left the mission field, a new Assistant was called in, who I was supposed to train. He was very nervous about his new calling, and wanted to please RB, who came across as gruff and formal to those who did not know him. So, at one point, I asked this new Assistant take another missionary and pick up RB at the airport. He parked the car at the Airport and he and his companion went in to meet RB. In the meantime, my companion and I followed and while he was in the Airport, we used our car key to set the radio to a hard rock station, such that when the car was turned on it would blast rock music automatically, music which, of course, RB hated and disallowed. The trick worked. The Assistant, of course, was embarrassed and tried to "explain" his innocence. Back at the office we confessed. RB thought the joke was hilarious, as I knew he would.

I could go on and on.

As is often the case with such people, underneath the bigotry and narrow-mindedness, RB was a person of great personal charm, kindness, humor, and yes, humility. Being a left-wing liberal even back then, I always distained his politics and social positions. Nonetheless, I could not resist liking him.

May he rest in peace.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 02:01PM

Condolences to you, my old friend.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:24PM

I had him as a teacher. He was quirky, but I remember liking him. Condolences to the Benson family.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 03, 2016 05:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2016 05:59PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.