Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 09:24PM

my favorite:

"Q: ...another related question that comes up is the statements in the King Follett discourse by the Prophet, about that, God the Father was once a man as we were. This is something that Christian writers are always addressing. Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?

Hinckley: I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it. I haven't heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don't know. I don't know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don't know a lot about it and I don't know that others know a lot about it."
--Transcript from interview by David van Biema, reported in “Kingdom Come,” Time Magazine, 4 August 1997, p. 56"

But less than three years earlier:

"On the other hand, the whole design of the gospel is to lead us onward and upward to greater achievement, even, eventually, to godhood. This great possibility was enunciated by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the King Follet sermon and emphasized by President Lorenzo Snow. It is this grand and incomparable concept: As God now is, man may become! Our enemies have criticized us for believing in this."
--Gordon B. Hinckley, Report of the 164th Semiannual General Conference, Ensign, "Don't Drop the Ball" Nov. 1994, p. 46.

At least Monson has the distinction of not being as big a doofus as Hinckley!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JDM13 ( )
Date: September 01, 2016 10:34PM

There's now a friendlier link: http://33ldsquotes.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.