Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 03:39PM

Happy New Year!!! every 11 days...

The sci/fi freaks here know just from that fact, that it completes an orbit every 11 days, that something unusual is going on.

Here's one freaky fact about the red dwarf star, Proxima Centauri: Its total luminosity over all wavelengths is 0.17% that of the Sun, although when observed in the wavelengths of visible light the eye is most sensitive to, it is only 0.0056% as luminous as the Sun. More than 85% of its radiated power is at infrared wavelengths.

Only 0.0056% of human eye visible light... So those predator dudes who inspired that ferocious pro football look, are probably from there, since they saw their human victims via heat signatures.

Here's some additional data, indicative of the likelihood that while it might serve as a rest stop, or a prison, no one is going to voluntarily live there:

"Because of Proxima Centauri's (this is the star, not the new planet) proximity to Earth, its angular diameter can be measured directly. It is about one-seventh the diameter of that of the Sun. It has a mass about an eighth (1/8th) of the Sun's mass, and its average density is about 40 times that of the Sun. Although it has a very low average luminosity, Proxima is a flare star that undergoes random dramatic increases in brightness because of magnetic activity.

"The star's magnetic field is created by convection throughout the stellar body, and the resulting flare activity generates a total X-ray emission similar to that produced by the Sun. The mixing of the fuel at Proxima Centauri's core through convection and its relatively low energy-production rate mean that it will be a main-sequence star for another four trillion years, or nearly 300 times the current age of the universe.[22]

"The star is suspected to host a planet, Proxima b, discovered in 2016. ... Because Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf and a flare star, whether a planet orbiting it could support life is disputed. Nevertheless, because of the star's proximity to Earth, it has been proposed as a destination for interstellar travel."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:10PM

So interesting!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 05:11PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 05:49PM

How exciting! It would be lovely if someone or something were home to us "next door."

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 06:09PM

Is it Kolob, or is Kolob the star that it orbits? I get confused at times.

I'm joking, of course, This is a monumental discovery.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 06:41PM

Very cool.

I have a basement full of crap and have been wondering where to dump it. Once we figure out how to get there efficiently, this place would be perfect as Planet Dump.

If there are already intelligent beings living there, I'm sure they won't mind. After all, all those residents of "America" had no problems with my gringo ancestors landing in "Hispaniola," "Plymouth Rock," "Jamestown" et al. We come in peace! (They'd better get their measles shots pronto, however...)

How about if we trade some beads and shiny things to the residents in exchange for using their world as a place to stash our nuclear waste, styrofoam etc. and meanwhile we enslave their kids to work on Planet Earth in brothels, sweatshops, etc.? Sounds like a fair trade.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 07:13PM

The leaders have often taught about inhabitants on other places besides earth.

Brigham Young taught: "So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain. It was made to give light to those who dwell upon it, and to other planets; and so will this earth when it is celestialized." ( https://journalofdiscourses.com/13/31 )

The inhabitants of the Sun at its corona should have no problem staying warm as 27 million degrees Fahrenheit is sufficient to not normally need a coat, especially if the individual is faithfully wearing their temple garments in order to remain worthy ( http://www.space.com/17137-how-hot-is-the-sun.html )

"As far back as 1837, I know that he [Smith] said the moon was inhabited by men and women the same as this earth, and that they live to a greater age than we do—that they live generally to near the age of a 1000 years. He described the men as averaging near six feet in height, and dressing quite uniformly in something near the Quaker style"
( http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/YWJ/id/11790 - see March 1892 volume )

Just imagine what more we could've learned about Mars, Venus, other moons in our solar system and other places from the prophets if it wasn't for the anti-Mormons of the 19th century causing the prophets to become shy about sharing the gospel truths. It certainly would've given Mitt Romney a lot more wonderful things to answer questions about in 2012 when he was running to fulfill the White Horse prophecy.

As the beloved Gordon B. Hinckley would say, isn't this marvelous.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:19PM

It is unfortunate that the Quaker moon people happen to look like craters.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:41PM

Maybe Breedom Young didn't say "quaker" but in fact said "crater people" - they sound very similar. I will give Breedy the benefit of the doubt because he probably was mis-qouted. I believe he said "they look like craters (crater people)"

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:30PM

Who needs NASA, and the rest of the astrophysicist community w/ Mormon prophets who know far more than anyone else about the universe. Maybe we should all tone down the anti-Mormon rhetoric so that Tommy et al can give us more gem's of wisdom about the cosmos.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:27PM

It must be Hell with all that fire. And don't forget, Satan and his minions don't have bodies, so they should be able to hang out in a place like that for.......let's say, eternity?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.