Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 12:32PM

From a missionary blog. This guy is a mega-fanatic missionary serving in the Italy Rome Mission. This is from his weekly update:

"We also taught a beautiful Indian family twice this week. We met them using the American football as a finding technique in a park. One pass and people come running up and you can teach them how to throw. Then they ask why we are here, we teach them the Restoration, next thing you know, God helps them come to church for a tour and a wonderful member present lesson. It was amazing to see how prepared their boys were. They were like sponges. They soaked up absolutely everything. [Child] especially loves the story of Joseph Smith. It was a sweet family with sweet faith."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 12:53PM

Sounds like a nice unsuspecting family. I hope they'll just walk away.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 01:06PM

Sounds like a 'Bait and Switch' to me.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 02:36PM

Exactly what I was thinking...

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 01:07PM

After this morning's earthquake there may not be a lot of proselyting going on for a while!

Posted by: Sid ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 02:02PM

Seriously folks. If your message is really about God a bait and switch is not needed.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 02:13PM

Bait and switch is such a creepy side show tactic, but of course

the church is a creepy side show.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 02:23PM

Using deception to teach truth?

Really?

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 02:32PM

Link to the blog?

Date: August 24, 2016 03:38PM

I don't know if it is allowed here to post the link. Can I?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 02:38PM

Hopefully, the family will be happier if they drop the mormon football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 02:39PM by messygoop.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 04:03PM

First there were baseball baptisms, and now football baptisms.
Guess they didn't learn anything from the other sport...

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:46AM

Poor mishies. I detest that they are out there with all the pressures to fulfill their cult duties. So wrong on so many levels for them to have been groomed and pushed into thinking that this is the end-all and be-all as to what they must be doing at
a mere 18!!!! years of age. They are the pawns in a congame.

Roarrrrr....

Posted by: checkmate ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 09:11AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Poor mishies. I detest that they are out there
> with all the pressures to fulfill their cult
> duties. So wrong on so many levels for them to
> have been groomed and pushed into thinking that
> this is the end-all and be-all as to what they
> must be doing at
> a mere 18!!!! years of age. They are the pawns in
> a congame.
>
> Roarrrrr....

It's a huge red flag that TSCC grooms and coerces defenseless minors for the job. These kids are exploited like slaves. TSCC, their families, friends, and their PARENTS tell them that they are "obligated" to "serve." "Volunteers" my left foot. The Feds need to step in and stop this - human trafficking. The strict work schedule and hours tell the whole story. These kids DO NOT have a choice that is visible to them. If they refuse, consequences may be life-long. All for the pharoh's pyramid scheme that never pays off. Raising the age to 25 at which one may "volunteer" - oh, that would chap religious-freedom and military butts. What college grad would choose servitude over employment?

These kids are American citizens whose human and civil rights are being violated by older adults, via a demonstrably false religion, that checks nearly every tick mark in a cult checklist. WHO protects them?

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 09:19AM

My TBM wife has asked me recently whether the missionaries who converted her had lied. She doesn't think so because they seemed so sincere.

I said that it was likely they were sincerely repeating the lies that they were told growing up in the church.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 03:08AM

They are required to repeat "milk before meat," which means they withhold information from anyone who isn't fully indoctrinated in an attempt to deceive them and draw them ever deeper into the system. They use different words and messages for outsiders than with each other because their religion requires them to be deceitful and manipulative.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:56AM

Typical. Mormons will use anything to dupe people into the church....

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 08:34AM

Too bad the Pokémon Go craze is fading, otherwise they would be doing that too and finding unsuspecting players. Hmmm maybe I should keep quiet about this in case some lurking mishies try it.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:57PM

If someone can get religion and find Gawd because they wanted to learn how to throw a spiral pass, it only proves that the church is true, after all.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 02:06PM

They loved the Joseph Smith story?

There are soooo many...

Date: August 25, 2016 03:44PM

You are great, guys, thanks for the comments!

Posted by: huda ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 07:16PM

Missionaries dont have choice and it appears that they do best they can, albeit sort of spiritual military bootcamp....the message is discipline and buck up...different culture that smacks of cultism due to newness and need to acquire funds and members...good organization and sincere people...just Christian-other.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 12:46AM

He is easy on the eyes, so that's got to take care of their deceptive techniques being used on an immigrant family who must be feeling at least some desire to speak to people, probably in English given that it's one of the major linguae francae of their homeland. Right?

I can say with absolute certainty that a large part of our appeal on my mission in France to our African investigators (Nigerian, Ghana, and Cameroon) was having someone, anyone to speak English with. The religious aspects of it... not so much.

Tyson

P.S. Oh, and I just Googled what you copied above. That's how I found the young elder from Minnesota whose ancestor Giuseppe came from Palermo. :)

Posted by: Thyrrhenia ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 07:02AM

Exactly, Tyson, that's the guy. I met a James Toronto in Frankfurt years ago, a Professor at BYU who is descendant of that Giuseppe Taranto. I suppose they are all relatives, maybe this missionary is a grandson of the Prof.?!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.