Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 11:32AM

I was camped Sunday at Flaming Gorge (a recreation area on the Utah-Wyoming state line, for those of you unfamiliar with the region). The campsite next to me was occupied but the people weren't there when I arrived. Later, Mom, Dad and three teen sons arrived and piled out of their minivan, wearing their church clothes. The boys looked miserable. Dad looked stoic. Mom looked contented. They changed into camping attire, the boys almost stripping as they hustled from the car to their tent. The suits spent the rest of the day neatly hanging from a tree on hangers.

Now, to be fair, I don't know if they were Mormons. Their van had North Dakota plates. But the people had that Mormon look, and evidently they didn't belong to a church with come-as-you-are dress standards. Even if they weren't Mormons, suits look mighty strange in a campground. And it speaks of a belief that God will punish you if you don't worship him every single Sunday, no matter what.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 11:43AM

If I go to a church on vacation it is historic and I am there to take pictures. Stained Glass is one of my favorite things to photograph. Also the Stave Churches in Norway were fascinating.

But attend the service on Sunday, not so much.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 12:02PM

I don't recall my family ever missing a Sunday service while on vacation when I was growing up. I can relate to the teen boys.

Too bad I wasn't there. I could have translated. I speak both fluent Mormonese and Dakotan (which is quite similar to Wobegonian). If they didn't have hotdish for lunch, they were Utahns who had moved to North Dakota.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 12:38PM

Nobody moves to North Dakota. Not willingly.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 02:48PM

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 05:24PM

"If we moved there I would be the darkest person in the entire state!"

Classic!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 01:50AM

getbusylivin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "If we moved there I would be the darkest person
> in the entire state!"
>
> Classic!

When I was six, my family drove through North Dakota once. We'd gone into South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, the Black Hills, and whatever else there was to see in South Dakota, including a storm that morphed into a bona fide tornado one night. My parents had never been into North Dakota, so they decided to drive a bit further north so that we could all say we had been in the state of North Dakota.

The first five years of my life were spent in Laie, Hawaii, except for summer trips to Utah, so I had experienced cultural diversity, but at the time of the Dakota vacation we were living in Utah County, which is pretty white, and was even more so in the 90's. The kids in my family would have all still been some shade of blond at that point. My dad would have outgrown his almost-towheadedness but was still close to blond. My mom's hair was the same blonde shade of her youth, courtesy of whatever product her hair dresser was putting on it. In summation, we did not have anything resembling Native American coloring.

We drove into what I believe was the small North Dakota town of Bowman. It was time for lunch. We didn't find anything resembling a restaurant or even a fast-food operation, but there was a mini-mart. We pushed our way out of the van and into the minimart and argued with our parents about what forms of junk food could actually pass as a meal until they finally gave in and approved "fruit" roll up, Hostess snack cakes, and an assortment of other garbage.

Just a block away was a school playground with a picnic table on the edge. The school was across the street from a Lutheran Church (probably the only church in town, as the town only had about 1,500 people at the time as I recall, though there may have been more churches we didn't see, and maybe even multiple Lutheran churches; some of these denominations seem to divide over light and transient causes, and one cannot expect an ELCA Lutheran to take communion alongside a Missouri Synod Lutheran; it isn't just the LDS that are picky about small things).

The Lutheran Church was apparently holding Vacation Bible School at the time we were there. Just as the younger children in my family finished eating the garbage we passed off as lunch and had ventured onto the school's playground equipment, the Lutheran Church unleashed its Vacation Bible School clientele to run across the street and have free play time on the school playground equipment. (I don't think they sent a single adult out to keep an eye on the kids. It' a good thing my parents weren't axe murderers or kidnappers out looking for more blonde kids to add to their already oversized brood.)

We were blond, but the Lutheran kids of Bowman, North Dakota were so incredibly white-haired that they made most of my siblings look like Panamanians by comparison. At six, I was still tow-headed enough to blend in with them. When an adult showed up to round them up and take them back inside, he tried to take me as well.

My mom said she looked at the eyes of as many of the kids as she could without looking as though she was a child predator, and didn't spot even a single green-eyed child, much less a brown-eyed one. It's a different world up there, or at least it was in the 1990's.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 12:11PM

My TBM ex was one of those guys that insisted with going to church on vacation. You stoked a few memories.

*How many times did the people at the ChurchInc. Chapel we were visiting thought we were "fresh meat" and fawned over us only to find out we were ONLY there that Sunday. Too many times to count.

*The ex getting pissed off that he forgot his "Church Clothes" and blamed me for not reminding him...or pissed that I intentionally chose something more casual since I was on vacation!

*Church Camp-Another church I attended (Non LDS) had a "come as you are" around the fire on a chilly Sunday morning. We had coffee, a guitar, and the most relaxed and happy church "service". It made it clear that I can worship God anywhere, whenever, and with WHOMever I wanted.

*Going to church on vacation is now a choice. The last time I did (Non LDS) I loved how welcoming the congregation was and they were happy to have me visit even after finding out I was not a member and just "passing thru".

No more "have to" for me. If I want to, I go.

RMM

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 03:14PM

If they skip Sunday meetings, Mormons are in grave danger of knowing how wonderful a free Sunday can feel.

Mormons might look back and realize that the most spiritual Sunday of the year was that one Sunday on vacation, out in nature, with their family the whole day.

I think the largest ward in all of Mormondumb is the Island Park ward. It's sad to think that all of those people are supposed to be on vacation. Try stuffing a suit into a bedroll or duffel bag.

I was born into a GA family. We weren't allowed near the water on Sunday, but often we would have to secure the boats. We couldn't catch fish on Sunday, but we could cook and eat them. No hiking--but we would call it "going for a walk." No horseback riding, but we would have to feed and care for the horses on Sunday. No card games, but board games were OK. We could drive into town to church, but we couldn't drive anywhere else.
No work on Sunday--for the men and boys, anyway--but the women worked their heads off, cooking an elaborate Sunday dinner, and cleaning up after. One of our wells went bad, and she and my aunt had to haul in water for drinking and to wash the dishes. I chopped kindling for the wood-burning stove.

The multiple Sunday rules were so confusing, that my cousins simplified everything by saying, "No fun on Sundays."

Posted by: TrustNobody ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 03:38PM

No way...

Every time we were visitors, we were always called on to say the opening/closing prayers in every meeting.

WHY DO THEY DO THIS?!?!

... so no more vacation church for us...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 03:40PM

If a family must have church on vacation, why not sit under the trees or around a campfire and read a scripture or two, pray and sing a song?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 05:15PM

My mission was in the Caribbean Islands and we would get vacationers, honeymooners, military, visiting now and then.

My favorite was the couple that was newly temple married and on their honeymoon in Barbados. They were older, 40's maybe, singles ward/ special interest types, but some how in gods perfect church, they found each other.

So all the men are in priesthood meeting, and the newly wed guy is there too. I notice that he appears to be eating/ snacking on something. I though he had some peanuts.

I start watching the guy and realize he has a pair of nail clippers out and was cutting his nails. But instead of dropping the clippings, or saving them to throw away.....he was eating them. Then he would clip pieces of skin from around the nail.....and eat that too.

He spend most of the meeting clipping the skin and nails from his fingers and eating it. Like it was popcorn or something. In between mouthfuls, he would join the discussion in class.

I always wondered how well they knew each other before they married, and if she knew about his strange manicuring and dietary habits.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 10:23PM

Maybe she does it too. Maybe it was what let them know they had chosen each other in the pre-existence.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 09:47PM

An idiotic stupid thing I did on my honeymoon was to attend church meetings. We were in Hawaii for Zeus' sake and no one was checking up on us. So off to Lahaina branch we go, and the next Sunday to stake conference in Honolulu. How could we be so stupid?

Years later we did attend church a couple of times on our trip back to the old mission field where we met. It was different then--we were exmos. (Auto correct goes too far--thinks we were exams.)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2016 11:24PM

If we were in a town visiting Mormon relatives we went to church. If we were say, in Aneheim, CA...we went to Disneyland on Sunday.

RB

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 12:56AM

I'm lucky that my TBM ex considered vacation to include a vacation from church. It meant that I could actually relax and wear pants or shorts that day if I wanted to.

My TBM step sisters do go to church when visiting relatives in Utah or the Vegas area, but when they go other places, they generally skip church. The only reason they really go to California is to visit Disneyland, and Sundays are generally when they head back home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 12:57AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 01:03AM

Been there, done that.

We took our church clothes, and found the closest local ward if we were camping, too.

Wouldn't travel on long trips on Sunday. Part of it was that my dad didn't want to buy gas or food on Sunday. But I think he wanted to be extra sure he wasn't breaking the sabbath, kind of like the ancient Jews not wanting to take too many steps on the Sabbath.

We were pretty much under house arrest on Sunday. The 'no fun on Sunday rule' would sum it up. My poor parents. They wasted 1/7 of their lives keeping those Sunday rules. Fortunately, I got out young. I've only wasted about 1/21 of my life with the Sunday rules.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 01:04AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 02:04AM

I've always hated it when it was our wards year to start at 1:00.
I hated getting up early on Sundays to attend 9:00 AM services, but I preferred it , since I didn't miss any football games, like I did the years we started at 1:00.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 03:09AM

Thanks, Dave. I love the Hitler rants!

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:51PM

As a kid, we went to church every time we were on vacation. I always hated it and it made me resent the church and my parents. I am so glad I no longer feel guilty for actually enjoying my weekends!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 12:52PM by Atari.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:19PM

As a kid many many years ago we often attended church in strange places simply because it was Sunday and that is what gawd's children do if they are faithful. There is a campground called Coffee Pot, up in Idaho I think, where the whole Ward would go camping on a particular weekend. They doubled the attendance on the Sundays that they were there. Dressing up for church meant buttoning the top button for the men. I remember passing the sacrament and thinking it was weird.

One time on a scouting trip we had sacrament meeting in the woods. It was required for every kid to bear testimony at that meeting. Me and another kid didn't want to and after several long and awkward minutes of silence, the other kid stood up and mumbled some words. Jesus, it was awful, but I stood up just to release myself from the stares I was getting. I hated it.

I have never attended church while on vacation since I got married and was out from under the thumb of those who would pressure me/us. A vacation is simply that, a vacation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.