Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:46PM

When I was a teenager (14) I went to the movies with my cousin and we saw the Sfi movie Barbarella (1968). I fell in lust with Jane Fonda. I had to go to restroom and relieve my BYU boner she caused. This same cousin gave me the manuscript for the book Behind the Green Door. The other thread mentioned the song these boots are made for walking (Nancy Sintra) which I actually watched earlier this week. I was amazed at how short their dresses were and how stiff Nancy Sintra seemed.

It was a wonderful time growing up in the 60's except for church. Rock and roll was of the devil and country western music was church approved. You know if you play country music backwards, you get your wife, car and dog back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:54PM

In the early 60s, besides the church dances, there were the dances at the National Guard Armory. I have no idea who put those on. Sometimes there would be a live (bad) band and sometimes it was just records. I loved this era because the twist was popular and it was one of three dances that I could do. (the other two were the mashed potato and the Bristol stomp.)

Huey Mortenson was the talk of the priests quorum the next day after he and a young lady did the dirty twist, which is where the two dancers 'twist' with their pelvic areas pressed against each other. Scandalous!

I never dirty twisted, but the 70s brought the dirty bump...

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 02:25AM

Date: August 11, 2016 02:28AM

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 10:10PM

Strangely, even in Utah, the 60's somehow were able to show up. How about those frequently rowdy concerts at Lagoon. I still have fond memories of the The Who, Beach Boys - and, oh yea, The Herman Hermits, Mrs. Brown you have a lovely daughter. Scandalous -

Date: August 11, 2016 02:30AM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 12:25AM

I was at the Herman's Hermits at Lagoon in 1968 with my Star Valley girl friend.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 11:23PM

Ah, the sixties... girls, cars, beer and war. Fun times. I'm going to meet up with some of the guys I went to war with back in the sixties next month. I can hardly wait. When we get together somehow we all turn back into twenty year olds again if only in our minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 11:23PM by michaelc1945.

Date: August 10, 2016 11:38PM

My problem is my mind never left the 60's and 70's. I am stuck. When I die, I want them to play Spirit in the Sky at my funeral.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 11:43PM

I like it...all of my kids know to play "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles.

;o)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 02:39AM

Because my mother had forbidden me to see "A Hard Day's Night," my 7-year-old cousin took me and my best friend (we were both rabid Beatles fans) to see it at a local drive-in.

It was one of the most fun evenings of my teens! OMG, my best friend and I talked about that DECADES later. We loved it.

Neither of us was Mormon. We just had oppressive parents.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 07:32PM

"all of my kids know to play "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles."

So do I...on the karaoke machine. :-)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:15AM

Last night I was at a Culture Club concert.

Boy George acknowledged in the audience the guy who wrote "Spitit In The Sky", I don't recall his name. He was just a few seats over from me.

Just thought I'd share because it was such a weird coincidence.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 09:41AM

Norman Greenbaum.
Great song. Even this atheist likes it :)

Posted by: freind in Jeezus ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:53AM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My problem is my mind never left the 60's and
> 70's. I am stuck. When I die, I want them to play
> Spirit in the Sky at my funeral.

I'm gonna recommend you to the place that's the best

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 11:41PM

In my humble opinion, the greatest thing about the 60s was not the music or the movies. It was

THE PILL

which ushered in the "sexual revolution" because women didn't have to worry about getting pregnant.

I was a newly divorced free man....

Ah! The 60s!

(An old man's memories!)

Date: August 11, 2016 02:16AM

If I could go back to the 60's knowing what I know now and have a 25 to 30 year old body. With my luck, I would be a TBM and sent on a three year mission.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 02:30AM

I'm an eighties kid myself, which means my whole life, I have to deal with the havoc the baby-boom generation have wreaked on western society.

The destruction of community for the sake of individuality of the 1960s, the madness of anti-authoritarian parenting in the 1970s, the unbridled greed of the 1980s, the fin-de-siecle delusions of the 1990s, the extreme expansion of debt-funded (i.e. unfunded) entitlements of the 2000s and, under way as we speak, the utter annihilation of savers and pensioners and the current and next generation.

Just my bad luck that I was born 20 years too late to the party.

Flame away, boomers!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 06:24AM by rt.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 09:45AM

Oh, how terrible for you. :)
At least we got started on fixing racism and sexism.
You're welcome.

Date: August 11, 2016 03:22PM

I'm a white male ;-)

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 01:15AM

I'm an 80's kid myself. Born in 84, so still pretty little in the heyday of the 80s but had older siblings to show me the way. A highlight of my week is om Sundays nights, when I'm usually home, playing Night Rider or Survivor on the piano while my babies rock out to it.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 06:34PM

My parents came of age in the late 60's. They're not worse off than their parents were. My mom is in roughly the same financial bracket as were her parents. My dad was just an engineering professor, but through the luck of a side job in manufacturing optical equipment with an ophthalmologist brother-in-law, is in far more comfortable circumstances than his parents were.

Posted by: rocketscientist ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:40AM

I think you have missed most of the history of mankind. The same charges can be leveled against most generations. For example, the excessive greed of the 1920's (my grandparent's generation) resulted the worst economic disaster in modern history. How many lives were ruined by that?

Of course each generation also brings good things to the table. My grandparent's generation created mobility for mankind through the invention and commercialization of the automobile and the airplane. My parent's generation created mass media through radio and television. My generation created the personal computer and the internet. All of these things benefitted society.

Sure, we make mistakes but the good thing is that the next generation can correct them (or just bitch about them).

Is this about you hating your parents?

Posted by: friend in Jeezus ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 09:29AM

No. It's not about hating one's parents. On that slow, jaggedy upward-trending slope of civilization, it's about being of a generation that has been reared in a downward jag.

We are worse off than our parents or grandparents, though we went to school, worked our entire lives. The vast majority of people our age will know only a retirement when they are cremated, because they can't afford a funeral. I take home, after taxes and insurance, 51% of my gross. Then deduct all the other taxes out of net pay - property, sales, excise.

How is that about hating my parents?

My mother went to work when I was 7, which left me to rear her brood, because there were no "childcare credits," which I must now pay to fund. Property taxes out the wazoo, though I have no children. When I hear young parents complaining that they are compelled to contribute 30 pencils and 20 notebooks to their school's (free baby-sitting service) general supply closet, I want to smack 'em. Don't have kids I have to pay for.

My dad also worked, but didn't manage to help me out a whit, and left mom almost nothing when he died. He was too damn busy "fulfilling" all those freedom-loving whoreish dreams. Do I hate him because he wanted to be free? No, I hate him because he thought f#ck*** mom was all there was to having kids.

The two are intertwined, but today, ask me what the life-suck is, and I'll tell you it's the freeloafers/loaders, who consider it my job to support them. They take well over 50% of my produce. That's slavery.

Mad, because our most productive years are sucked into the bottomless pit of "freedom" to f##k on our dime. My parents and current generations. The ones who are DOING THE WORK are MAD.

Date: August 11, 2016 03:34PM

friend in Jeezus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On that slow, jaggedy upward-trending slope of civilization, it's about being of a generation that has been reared in a downward jag.

Well said.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 12:35AM

You might appreciate the thoughts of this essay. It has been attributed to Lou Holtz, the former Notre Dame couch, but actually written by Bob Lonsberry.

http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=3651

Date: August 11, 2016 03:31PM

True, history repeats itself but the scale and the impact of the sixties are unparalleled in written history, with the exception of communism. Take any long-running crime statistic and you will find them rising in the sixties and only going down in the late nineties.

It's not about hating my parents. They were receptive to orthodox Mormonism, so you can guess what they thought of the sixties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 03:31PM by rt.

Posted by: M. Breckenridge ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 10:57AM

The sixties. My band teacher said The Beatles wouldn't last.

The song I loved the most was Petula Clark's "Downtown". It sparked in me the feeling that there was so much more to the world than just my little Mormon life. And in my gut I knew I had to have it even if I wouldn't admit to myself. There were people out there like me. I just knew it. I have never regretted the day I became "Of the world."

"Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?
The lights are much brighter there
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares
So go downtown
Things will be great when you're downtown"

When you're a Mormon and life is making you miserable
You can always . . .get the hell out.

It's not the world Mormons. It's you.

And . . .Downtown has coffee!

PS While driving with my adult home teaching companion the Animal's "House of the Rising Sun" came on the radio. He choked, turned red, and started to turn it off, but then we listened. First time I heard it. That song gets in your blood. Life gets in your blood. Looking back, the Mormon church never had a chance with me. It was only a matter of time.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 01:09PM

I remember the 60's. They were just a few months ago as I am now 70. Nondescript decade except for the births of most of my grandchildren.

Gatorman

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 04:18PM

as someone mentioned "The House of the Rising Sun." Without my older brother, I never would have experienced much of the 1960s. We got ready for school listening to "Riders on the Storm"

He and his friends had a band. They played THOTRS in a ward talent show. My mother said something to his best friend's mom about how well they did. The other mom told my mom to go read the words. I don't think she ever did. That would never happen these days in the lds church.

Date: August 11, 2016 07:27PM

"It was a wonderful time growing up in the 60's except for church. Rock and roll was of the devil and country western music was church approved."

Yep, church leaders condemned rock and roll music in the '60s. But ya know what? When I saw the Osmonds in concert in 1977, the band that opened for them (called Munch) played Beatles tunes. And of course, the Osmonds wrote and sang a lot of rock songs too, such as "Crazy Horses" and "Down By The Lazy River." I guess that church leaders in the 1970s forgave that when the Osmonds' tithing money started rolling in.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 12:04AM

I was between the ages of 6 and 16 in the sixties. Too young to be a hippie, but definitely a wannabe. I remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and my dad railing against their long hair. My mom was a fan though. I watched Shindig and Hulabaloo on TV and later Where the Action Is...all good shows to learn dances.

My dad was in the Navy and we moved around a lot. He went to Viet Nam so that was a big deal in our house. I was all about Peace, Love and Flower Power and he was military. It made for some big fights.

Musically, in my mind, you can't beat the sixties. I listen to the Sixties channel on Sirius all day at work, it's just where my heart is. They say the music that's popular when you're in Jr. High has the biggest impact on you, due to hormones and all that. I believe it.

I was, and am, a huge Monkees fan. Saw them first when I was 13 in 1967 and I've seen them a dozen times since they reunited in the 80s. They have a new album out and it's great! 50 years, folks. Hard to believe.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 12:16AM

I was in the mission field in '66 & '67 and the Monkees, Simon & Garfunkel and the Mamas & the Pappas helped fuel my soul (or lack thereof) during the last 14 months, when I became basically just a mormon tourist.

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 11:05AM

So true - I was on a mission during this period of time, as well, and the contrast was surreal - there was no restrictions on our listening to the radio, so we kept up on all the news and music of the times. Even today, I can tell you exactly where I was in the mission when I hear oldies on the radio. I wax nostalgic, for example, when I hear The Wichita Lineman:

"I am a lineman for the county and I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload
I hear you singin' in the wire, I can hear you through the whine
and the Withita Lineman is still on the lineā€¦"

Oh, yea!

Date: August 13, 2016 01:10PM

Glen grew up a poor farmboy working the cotton fields of Arkansas. Someone once asked him why he went into the music business. He replied, "I got tired of looking at the ass end of a mule."

As for "Wichita Lineman"---it was written by Jimmy Webb. Glen says that the best song lyric ever written was "And I need you more than want you...and I want you for all time."

That's a good 'un.

In the mid-'60s, when Glen was a session guitarist, he subbed for Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys for a short time. Dude could play and sing just about anything.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 12:49PM

Ahhh...the 60's. I got my drivers licence on my 16th b-day in 1964 and FREEDOM! Started me on my way to a life of sinning and apostacy...sweet! We lived on a farm 8 miles from the city so getting my licence and my first car was of MEGA importance.
My weekends became beer filled adventures which added to the pleasures masturbation were already giving me daily. Then I entered my hippie phase and weed was "IT". Never quite got over that....and proud of it. Those were the years I would have gone on a mission. Life was good.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 01:11PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 01:57PM

I was on a mission in Brasil 1968-70, and most of the music you heard on the radio was American rock and roll.

On my first Christmas there, my parents sent me a small transistor radio that I kept the whole time, and for some odd reason, it wasn't banned, although I could only use it on D-days. Which of course, I understood to mean Sunday night before D-Day Monday, so when we got home on Sunday, I would listen to the radio.

During the summer of 1969, Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" was played on the radio every hour if not more. And the radio station that played it would, about halfway through the song, have the announcer say the name of their station which was "EXCELSIOR", so that other stations couldn't copy it to play on their station.

To this day, if I happen to hear that song on the radio,(which gratefully I don't much) I know exactly where the announcer said it.

What a weird memory that is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.