Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CO2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 04:41PM

I do not want to be rebaptized by some TBM relative after I am dead. Please don't tell me that I will be dead anyway, so why should I care. I made a conscious choice to get out of the cult and I want to stay that way. I don't want to be affiliated in any way with the church even after I am dead especially after the cult sent me a threatening letter stating that all of my blessings would be removed. I really don't want some dimwit who thinks that after I am gone he/she can swoop in a save me.

Families of holocaust victims were able to stop the church from baptizing their relatives. I would like to get on a similar list. Anyone know of a list for exmos?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:14PM

Under American civil law, the dead have no rights. (Amazingly, having sex with a corpse was not a criminal offense for a lot of our history, and there are still several states in which it is nothing more than ...very icky.)

Los mormones did not (supposedly) stop baptizing Jewish Holocaust victims because of any laws against it. They simply made the decision that the publicity was bad for them. That first time they said they stopped, they didn't. SLC was "horrified" to learn that Holocaust victims continued to be dead dunked. Of course, what horrified them was that they were found out. If they hide the records of dead dunked Jewish Holocaust victims where advocates for these deceased can't find them, they would probably be doing them now.

Directives made in wills concerning inheritances instructions are almost always held to be unenforceable when they are contrary to custom and tradition. You can't control behavior by declaring in a will, "To my son, BYU Boner, I leave umpity millions of dollars, but only if he leaves that cheeky monkey of his alone! If he doesn't, the money is to be taken from him and given to the Sisters of Charity Gentlemen's Club." Can't do it!

That's what trusts are for: to dole out money only as certain conditions are met.

There is simply no legal way at this time to prevent your eternal spirit from getting spritzed with holy temple water on the occasion of a baptism for the dead.

Even my current plan, to not resign so they can't dead dunk me, is in jeopardy! I've heard rumors that TBM children can petition the First Presidonkey to have the recalcitrant dead parent dead-excommunicated, and then a year later, dead dunked back into the church! Thus still giving my daughter the opportunity to bear her testimony about how good she feels now that she'd done right by me.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:28PM

Since there are no legal ramifications and it seems that once you are dead you are gone I can do any mumbo jumbo that I want to and there is nothing that you can do to stop me.

IMHO this is a terrible scenario but that seems to be how it is. I wish there were a law to prevent things like this but for now que sera sera. (whine whimper)

Posted by: reality check ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:34PM

There is no such list. Dead-dunking is legal.

The church response to the Holocaust s***storm was only due to the horrendous PR they were getting. Besides, how do we actually *know* they stopped? We don't. Even now, it could still be happening, but with those particular records being sealed up.

And let's say there was such a list, and you were on it. What would prevent a TBM from simply ignoring the list and doing it anyway? Nothing. (And don't say "a lawsuit." That's laughable.) In the blizzard of names being submitted for temple work, no one would bother to cross-check.

Bottom line, you can't prevent it. It's something we all have to live with.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 06:49PM

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 06:04PM

I see your point. However, I'd like to be rebaptized.

I doubt if anybody I know would waste their time dunking me, but a stranger might. And this is where HOPE comes in: maybe, just maybe, in the process of dunking me, that future Mormon stranger takes a look at the index card in his hand, thinks, "Who the f--- is 'getbusylivin'?" and then "And what the hell am I doing in this hot tub getting wet on his behalf?" and then "I'm in a freakin' CULT!!!"

So, yes, there's hope. We can only hope.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 06:47PM

I agree with you. I don't want to have my name dragged through mormon temple rites after I'm dead. I consider it a desecration of my last wishes and memory. The problem is this. The dead have no rights and living mormons can do whatever they want in their temples.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 06:53PM

While the dead may not have any rights, the estates of dead people DO have certain rights.

So, to any RfM legal experts, would this change the game?

Date: July 27, 2016 08:08PM

Mormons are VERY careful not to get any of the Estate wet when they perform the dead dunking.

And estate consists of REAL things, even it's just an idea the deceased had, like the Happy Birthday song.

Mormons are doing nothing REAL in their temples; no estates have been harmed, or had their rights trampled, in the making of this ordinance...

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 07:25PM

He did such a ceremony on his show to rescue Anne Romney's dead father-in-law; who she and Mitt had had baptized LDS.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 08:18PM

I'M NOT TELLING ANYONE ELSE HOW TO FEEL, but I think of baptism for the dead as nothing more than an elaborate prayer ritual. While I may think it's nonsense, I wouldn't be upset at the thought of a Catholic friend lighting a candle and saying a prayer for my soul. There is a strong tradition in Christianity of trying to intercede on behalf of the dead to save their souls. The Mormon version is just a little wackier than the others. It has no consequences, natural or legal, for the deceased. I've express my wishes, and hope that they will be honored, but accept that someone might decide to pray for me, and that prayer might take place in a tank of water. Yes, it'S disrespectful. Someone might also spit on my grave, or curse my name. That doesn't hurt me either, and I feel no need to spend time worrying about that possibility.

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 08:33PM

You can tell your next of kin (along the chain) not to give permission. That will prevent it for the first 110 years after your death. (These days you have to provide written proof of agreement of next of kin to have any person who died less than 110 years ago temple work done.)

Posted by: reality check ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 08:38PM

Yeah, that'll work, Lolly. Dream on.

If you actually believe that, I've got some beachfront land in Nebraska I can sell you. Give you a good deal on it, too.

Date: July 27, 2016 08:52PM

The church doesn't need 'permission' to do as it pleases with the name of a deceased individual.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 08:49PM

Ask 1st Ward of Saint Judas the Betrayer to create an "anti-baptism" ceremony for you.

Get creative, and create your own ceremony that frees your spirit. Garments, handshakes, prayers, temple recommends, create your own. Make your own voodoo to cancel out the mormon voodoo.

Fight fire with fire.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.