Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo4 ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:18PM

Ok so I'm a Nevermormon but have been following this board for years and have seen what all of you have said about the LDS Church policies on same-sex couples and their children,including references to many suicides linked to these policies.

So I stumble across this 'well-behaved Mormon woman' blog.And am left speechless...

http://wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.ie/2015/11/response-to-new-church-policy-gay-marriage-children-baptism.html

She basically states that children with 'same-sex parents' shouldn't be taught the gospel,like people of certain religious groups because it would cause too much family conflict...

'While Christ does ask us to be prepared to give up family to follow him, (Matthew 10:37), he never teaches that one should attempt to be both a good family member and a good church member if those two are at odds'.

She also states that the member must be 'protected' (?)...

'Adults who were raised by same-sex couples must meet extra standards before becoming baptized. This, like the policies regarding adults who are/were Muslims and adult children of polygamous parents, serves to protect the candidate'.

And finally,I've got to share with you my favourite part:

'Some of my friends may well disagree with these policies. However, I plea with them to not lessen their commitment to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Nothing that happens in this church-- however hard it may seem to be-- changes the fact that God spoke to a 14-year-old boy in 1820'.

Sure....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:40PM

Sure, let's rationalize bigotry and hatred by saying it's for the good of the people we're bigoted against and hate.
That's a good idea.

Not.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:43PM

I have insufficient time to spend with intelligent, good-hearted people. Hence, I have no time to spend with cold-hearted imbiciles.

She's a waste of time.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 11:07AM

succinct

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:49PM

"Well-brainwashed-bigoted-mormonwoman."

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:54PM

This writer is a joke and an idiot. One day she may regret this post. Well behaved..shit, maybe perfectly delusional.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 07:25PM

She's the one who believes that Disney movies are part of a conspiracy through the "gay agenda." Her post about the song "Let it Go" from Frozen being an example of the "agenda" went viral when that movie was in the theaters.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 08:14PM

The title of the blog says everything I need to know.

"No well behaved woman ever made history," is the anecdote to the "well behaved mormon woman blogspot."

Who said what? Marilyn Monroe is attributed for the quote.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 10:02AM

This phrase is often, and mistakenly, attributed to Marilyn Monroe, Eleanor Roosevelt and several other famous women. It was actually written by a historian named Laural Thatcher Ulrich and later became the title of her book, Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History.

Date: July 27, 2016 01:52PM

Thanks for relaying that. Her book sounds like a really well written read on society and the patriarchal order. Something I will look into further, because it's a subject close to my heart after leaving the patriarchal system of Mormonism, that's a slow death to the feminine soul.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 28, 2016 06:17PM

Ironically, Ulrich is Mormon as well (I'm related to her through my paternal grandmother, Hannah Thatcher).

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 30, 2016 08:43PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The title of the blog says everything I need to
> know.
>
> "No well behaved woman ever made history," is the
> anecdote to the "well behaved mormon woman
> blogspot."
>
> Who said what? Marilyn Monroe is attributed for
> the quote.

I think 'anecdote' should be replaced with 'antidote' and then it actually makes some sense.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 08:37PM

"...I plea with them to not lessen their commitment to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Nothing that happens in this church-- however hard it may seem to be-- changes the fact that God spoke to a 14-year-old boy in 1820".

What defines a cult? Commitment to the group, or leader, above all. Our writer has confirmed that the cojcolds is a cult with her statement.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 09:18PM

"however hard it may seem to be-- changes the fact that God spoke to a 14-year-old boy in 1820'."

Who said God spoke with a 14 year old boy?.....

The 14 year old boy....

humm....

You know what, Stan. If you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don’t you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 11:27AM

An Office Space reference! I love it! :)

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 09:38PM

Hegemony is alive and well! She could write a book on it!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 01:46AM

Mormons do not own the concept of "the gospel." My response to her would be that the children of gay married couples can always learn the gospel from the Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, etc., and that these churches have great youth programs. If the Mormons don't want these children, some other church will.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 02:02AM

I agree. What a great opportunity to escape the fraud of mormonism and tBM's won't even be encouraged to stalk them.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 08:26AM

Great idea! Tell missionaries and Mormon stalkers, "My parents are gay", and you will be left alone.

Date: July 27, 2016 09:41AM

Mormons should be so wise; they might learn something from their rival factions. Such as the pure love of Christ in action.

When their numbers have dwindled beyond disbelief to abyssmal, perhaps then they'll take a second look at what their repressive policies have cost them.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 02:05AM

Oh, good grief. If you want to be a well behaved Mormon woman, go make me a sammich.

Posted by: amongthetombstones ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 09:32AM

Yes, the last thing we would want to do is encourage more family contention. That's why the church urges people to not coerce their spouses into staying in the church after they discover the truth.

Wait a minute...

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 09:45AM

I cant wait til one of her kids comes out as gay.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 10:52AM

No, I hope none of her kids is gay. Can you imagine how horrid

she'd be to that child? She'd be one of those mormon mothers

who kicks her own kid out of the house because they are gay.

I've seen it happen, its tragic.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 08:38AM

In the April edition of Reader's Digest is an article, condensed from the book "Saving Alex". It goes through what Alex Cooper went through when she came out as gay to her very strict mormon parents. It was heart-wrenching to read that her parents disowned her and sent her away for several months to a couple for "therapy". It also goes through her escape from southern Utah and mormondom.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 12:02PM

Nevermo4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She basically states that children with 'same-sex
> parents' shouldn't be taught the gospel,like
> people of certain religious groups because it
> would cause too much family conflict...
>
> 'While Christ does ask us to be prepared to give
> up family to follow him, (Matthew 10:37), he never
> teaches that one should attempt to be both a good
> family member and a good church member if those
> two are at odds'.

Using this logic they should end their missionary program.

Posted by: Lost on a beach ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 01:08PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1411168,1411479#msg-1411479

Posted by: Lost on a beach ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 04:20PM
Re: I cannot believe her

You guys beat me to it.

She didn't write this drivel for you. Or for me. Or for the 15.

It was for her daughter. Her GAY daughter.

At first, I disliked her and her opinions as much as that Greg Trimble nincompoop. Then I heard about her daughter, and I just imagine their relationship.

She feels like a total failure (nothing can make up for a failure in the home). Her daughter crossed to Satan with a simple lifestyle choice. She could pray away the gay, you know, but doesn't to spite her poor, put upon Mom. She is literally threatening the immortal happy family. I won't stand for it! And since I'm such a devout, wonderful person, it must be. . . .Disney's fault! Yeah, Disney!

To live in that mindset, to believe that, to live within that head, it breaks my heart. Yet another of the "families first".

TSM could change the narrative, but I wonder if he can change his socks. And the rest? They're too busy congratulating themselves for making it as far as they have, and are trying to figure out how to make that next step (aside from living a long time).

It's all just so sad. The pain that could have been, and could be avoided, all by just accepting and loving. Sad.

--I pay no attention to her at all but has her daughter been cured of her gayness?

Posted by: Q ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 09:49PM

What I don't understand about the absolutely asinine justification about gays living in sin habitually is that if you subscribe to the Christian mantra, EVERYONE ALL THE TIME is living in sin every day if even for our lustful, private thoughts....not even actions. White lies? Drill lying...etc the list could go on and on...

We as humans categorize and assign degrees of "sin"...God doesn't...he can abide NO sin if you believe the bible.

The mormon church is just trying to justify their bigotry (again)...per usual SOP....

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 11:41PM

"Some of my friends may well disagree with these policies. However, I plea with them to not lessen their commitment to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Nothing that happens in this church-- however hard it may seem to be-- changes the fact that God spoke to a 14-year-old boy in 1820."

CULT, CULT, CULT!

Posted by: Ron ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 03:58AM

I really surprised the LDS Corporation has taken this path. You would think they would like to get the children of the Same Sex parents into the church so they could poison the children's minds against their parents. I can't believe they missed a good chance to do some more evil.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: July 31, 2016 01:27PM

+1

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 06:32AM

Just pointing out (since everyone's saying "she," complete with a sexist comment or two) that, while this lady is truly awful, this is a guest post from Michael Terence Worley. Apparently he is a law student at BYU, or was in 2014, and wholly insufferable. He writes a lot about being against gay marriage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 06:33AM by woodsmoke.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 30, 2016 08:34PM

While waiting for my wife for dinner, I thought to look up stats for the site. This particular post was read 1780 times this week. The average post well over 600 times. Just for reference. ...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 31, 2016 02:04PM

My dil wrote something very similar on her blog. She then went on to say what a shinning example she is to her kids because she chose to stay in the church even when they do things she doesn't like.

It's taken everything I have to keep my mouth shut. Her ignorance is really going to hurt those kids, and I have to stay silent or lose access to them. That's the kind of church mormonism is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.