Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 05:10PM

In this dream, as in many, I found myself walking through the rooms of a great and neglected house. One room opened on another, one staircase had another above it. Hallways were narrow with bare walls. There was no art or decorative furniture. Most rooms were empty, and there were no restrooms, though I had to pee. Whenever I thought I had the door to a bathroom, I would open it to find a closet. Parts of the house looked like they’d been lifted from the many homes I grew up in. The paint on the walls was cracked and peeling--sometimes rolling off in sheets. Instead of rugs, the floor was carpeted with refuse, mostly short lengths of two-by-fours and flat chunks of sheetrock. The windows were smeared with grease and dust. Just enough sunlight got through the panes to cast a pall on the interior. I wondered how many doors I’d have to open to find a way out. I was certain that my car was parked somewhere outside. There had to be a way out I couldn’t yet see, That was the feeling I had--that and needing to pee.

I finally came to a hardwood floored ballroom at the end of a long hall. It was musty in there and the corners were impenetrable to my view. I imagined that there was movement in the dark places. At the front of the room two flags were hung on six foot poles. The flags had a fringe that would have been gold if I weren’t color blind. The stripes and stars on the flags were black and white, or maybe just colorless, I couldn’t tell. I was gray as a cloudy sky myself. I felt the entire house sigh, and I was sad. I wanted to cry, but my eyes had gone dry. Maybe my tears had run out with my colors. I had the sense that I was seeing through my eyelids. My mother’s voice was in my head like a whisper saying things my ears wouldn’t resolve. She made a hissing and spitting noise and said, “the fungus monkeys live behind our eyes. They give us prophecies and premonitions. They ask us to read the Book of Mormon.” Then her voice went back to whispering meaningless sibilants. Something moved in the shadows.

At first I thought I was seeing a dressmaker’s dummy like in a painting by de Chirico. But it was my father. We embraced without emotion. Neither of us said a word, but we began to move our feet--not together, but with. There was no music, and yet we danced. Our steps were halt and we didn’t look one another in the face. We shared existence instead of words. Both in the same house, the same dream, the same dance. Together and alone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 05:21PM

Shivery superb...

...this belongs with the classics.

:) :) :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 08:24PM

I'm glad it's donbagley's dream and not mine.

It sounds like something to be produced for tv. Too surreal.

However, if you'd like an interior designer, I could offer suggestions!

:)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 08:28PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad it's donbagley's dream and not mine.
>
> It sounds like something to be produced for tv.
> Too surreal.
>
> However, if you'd like an interior designer, I
> could offer suggestions!
>
> :)

If I was editing/co-editing a book of shorter creative works, I would grab this on first reading!!!

I would...I would.

:)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:20PM

Yeah, those fungus monkeys fling their feces everywhere hoping it will stick to something.

Date: July 26, 2016 08:24PM

I don't know why I dreamed her saying that. Maybe my subconscious was just saying that her words were gibberish.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 01:43PM

I think you're right Don, plus every dream you have is created by

your subconsious ... its so interesting.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 09:07PM

We all have to dance with our parents as bad as it seems because they controlled us as infants and children when we had not say.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 09:59PM

Did you ever get to pee?

Date: July 26, 2016 10:10PM

When I woke up I went right to the bathroom.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 11:01PM

"When I woke up I went right to the bathroom."

Hmmmm...that's how most of my dreams end too.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 11:44PM

This reminds me of an episode of the old "The Twilight Zone" series. Very well written. What do you make of it?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 12:08PM

It just occurred to me with the blank palette staring don in the face (in his dream,) is that he has the opportunity to rewrite his story and fill the halls, rooms, and walls with art, furniture, and design of his own choosing, including renovation. He can make a new script!

Likewise, he gets to be the architect of his own journey. Where his and his father's paths diverge, is where his begins, takes shape, and soars to new heights..

His father's hopes and dreams may be stuck there in that vision of the past. But Don's isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 12:11PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 12:14PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At first I thought I was seeing a dressmaker’s
> dummy like in a painting by de Chirico. But it was
> my father. We embraced without emotion. Neither of
> us said a word, but we began to move our feet--not
> together, but with. There was no music, and yet we
> danced. Our steps were halt and we didn’t look
> one another in the face. We shared existence
> instead of words. Both in the same house, the same
> dream, the same dance. Together and alone.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this applies to you it is just my thoughts.

It was the animated body of your father. He had no spirit. You danced without conviction and him with no spirit.

Good dream. I've had dreams where I am with my parents as a spectator. They have existence and I don't. You've turned the tables. I hope to one day. I hope to be full of life with no marionette dummies dancing in my head. It is my dream.

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 02:11PM

Your writing style reminds me of one of my very favorites--Anton Chekhov.

Knowing it was you dream, though, made me sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.