Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:08PM

Anyone ever had there ward put on a temple trip night and they say if you can't go in you can hang out on the grounds or visit the visitor center and wait for everyone to come out than go to dinner, wonder if anyone has ever been desperate enough to socialize to jump at that pity offering

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:20PM

Maybe if there was a nearby mall real close?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 05:00PM

No way one way.

Posted by: gayle ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:06PM

where the young women go as a group, but you find out after you get there that they won't let you do any baptisms if you are having your period.

And, maybe you didn't want all the boys or anyone else in the group knowing you were having your period.

But you have to sit on the bench and watch and then try to explain to all the others WHY you weren't allowed to do baptisms.

So unbelievably sick!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 11:02AM

Is this still a policy? I know when we had temple trips (late 60s/early 70s) girls couldn't go if they were on their periods. I went once anyway and was scared shitless that I'd be outed. But back then, even though it wasn't talked about openly, it was kind of a thing in the church that virgin girls shouldn't wear tampons. I had to sneak them for years.

And even in the wider world, it wasn't really acceptable. When we had swimming for P.E. in Junior High, girls on their periods were not supposed to swim, even with tampons.

I would think that this is just no longer something that even prudish mormons would accept. But am I wrong?

Posted by: nomorefencesitting ( )
Date: August 01, 2016 02:30AM

gayle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> where the young women go as a group, but you find
> out after you get there that they won't let you do
> any baptisms if you are having your period.
>
> And, maybe you didn't want all the boys or anyone
> else in the group knowing you were having your
> period.
>
> But you have to sit on the bench and watch and
> then try to explain to all the others WHY you
> weren't allowed to do baptisms.
>
> So unbelievably sick!

This ^ happened to me as well. I was mortified.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:30AM

LOL. When I was in youth groups in the late 80s, the Seattle temple was the only one from Alaska down to Oakland. Temple trips only happened every 1 to 2 years and it was a major affair. We had very large turnouts when they happened.

Fast forward 20-25 years...I'm a YM leader at this point, the youth groups are considerably smaller, there are 7 temples where there used to be only one, and temple trips are occurring 3-4 times a year. Turnouts were terrible, getting enough adults to go was constantly a challenge, and the trips felt like a drudgery rather than something to look forward to.

Posted by: McKay Cahtso ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:59AM

I wonder if MormonCo ever saw that in their future. People used to make huge cross country trips with coaches full of teens, going to the temple for a week of baptisms, kids sleeping in members' homes. Now they can't get a quorum of teens together to go down to the local mctemple. I think it's great. O, the inspiration.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 07:09AM

Yup, when I was a leader in YW, we took the youth on a temple trip that involved 4000km on a coach, overnight in the snowy mountains for sledging (none of the kids and only a few of the adults had seen snow before) 3 days at the temple followed by 4000km home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.