Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 04:55PM

10 Top Cities Americans are moving to right now, none are in Mormon country:

"Whether for professional or personal reasons, people sometimes pick up and move. In the United States, folks have been migrating to urban areas in recent generations, but these days the places they wind up are not necessarily the major hubs we might expect.

Real estate information platform, Realtor.com, combined its internal data with U.S. Census Bureau information and discovered where Americans are moving these days. The results might surprise you."

1. Portland, OR
2. Raleigh, NC
3. Nashville, TN
4. Orlando, FL
5. Las Vegas, NV
6. Austin, TX
7. San Antonio, TX
8. Charlotte, NC
9. Jacksonville, FL
10. Tampa, FL

http://www3.forbes.com/leadership/10-cities-americans-are-moving-to-right-now/?utm_campaign=10-cities-americans-are-moving-to-right-now&utm_source=FacebookTest1&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=3&kwp_0=165760&kwp_4=704991&kwp_1=357334

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 04:59PM

IN B 4 ~ ¿ who was Houston dot Texas dot gov ?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 04:59PM

Las Vegas is essentially in Mormon country.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 05:40PM

That's true, once you leave the Strip, Las Vegas and Henderson are very much Mormon communities.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 05:02PM

Several of the recently retired in our ward moved back to Utah since that is where they were raised. Few of their children have gone to Utah after graduating college.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 02:12AM

Portland, OR has really expensive housing both to buy and rent.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 03:02AM

I thought you meant- by the title- 10 Utah cities were escaping ('from' Utah).

I knew about 7 of the 10 were growing big now but a few didn't register on my radar. Might need to get the thing fixed!

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 08:27AM

...but I wouldn't live in either Texas or Florida because of the heat. And Nashville is too big of a city for my tastes. As I've written many times on this BB, there are numerous nice areas to move to all over the mid-south. If you're planning a move, just do your research and pick one that suits you best.

A note about the heat: last week, I called on one of my customers, which is a tourist shop in the Great Smoky Mountains. While chatting with the store clerk, an older couple from Tampa, FL, was there, and were discussing the current heat wave. The Tampa lady asked us, "Is this your summertime up here too?" The store clerk and I just looked at each other, not really knowing how to answer that.

I joked, "Where are you from? Australia? Yes, it's our summer up here too."

The Tampa lady must have thought that east Tennessee was right next to the Arctic Circle.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 11:07AM

So, avoid these 10 cities then, because they'll be getting crowded and real estate will be rising unreasonably fast then.
Got it. :)

Date: July 25, 2016 11:19AM

If people aren't pouring there to retire, they're most likely moving to these cities in search of employment ops and warmer climates.

Personally I don't care for big cities. My idea of a retirement haven is countryside, near to extended family, and being able to support myself on my pensions and fixed income once I retire.

I'm moving back to Idaho &/or Utah, rather than away when my time comes. Plus I will be buried in a family plot as well, when I die, so don't want to be far away to make that inconvenient after my death.

I'm not drawn there because of Mormons, but most of my family there are still LDS. I've been out long enough to cultivate other interests including religious since leaving TSCC. I won't be seeking converts to my way of life or theology, and will have my "No soliciting," sign on my front door ready for any would-be pests. Maybe a Rottweiler or Mastiff or two to answer the door for me....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 07:39PM

I'm sticking with north California. It's a little too hot on some midsummer days, but the nights cool off. And the winters here are about the easiest you can get--cool with rain, no snow.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 01:49PM

I must be close to his location because what he said is the same where I live except that the fog from the bay crawls over the hills occasionally and cools us down to a welcome slight shiver in the summer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 03:47PM

don and Cheryl: I'll be in San Francisco for business in a couple of weeks, for 3 days...
If either/both of you would like to meet for a beer/dinner, let me know. Dinner's on me (ok, my expense account...)!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 03:54PM

twentyhundred12@aol.com

Date: July 26, 2016 02:43PM

Used to love the smell of eucalyptus when I lived there after rainfall and dewdrops. Northern California has its charms. I loved Placerville when used to drive there to write up county records for a title company I worked for in Sacramento, newly fresh out of college.

I nearly became a California Highway Trooper, and passed every exam including the oral with flying colors. But for the pesky eye exam, which I did not. They saved that for last, for some odd reason. With glasses my vision was 20/20. Without, not good enough to become a CHiP. But then had I been hired would had to have relocated from Sacramento to Los Angeles starting out. Not something I really wanted to do. It worked out for the best in the end, I moved to New York instead. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 02:47PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 07:46PM

Makes me a bit sad their moving to Portland. It will never be the same again. I still like to go visit though.

Date: July 26, 2016 04:35PM

madalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Portland. It will never be the same again.

No place is like it used to be. I've been so many places where they say, "You should've been here twenty years ago." But twenty years ago they were saying, "You should've been here twenty years ago." And so on.

Portland had already been "spoiled" in the '80s when my then-wife and I were thinking about moving there.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 04:52PM

I'm originally from Portland, and what you say is true. I remember the wringing of hands over Californians taking over in the mid-80s. It has happened and the cost of living (especially housing) is definitely becoming CA-like. Hard to knock the migration...it's a great place to live.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 02:56PM

Head north on I-15 cross the border...to Lethbridge. Lots of pubs and restaurants and 2 new craft breweries!

RB

Date: July 26, 2016 04:36PM

Ah yes, Southern Alberta, a.k.a. northernmost Utah. ;)

Date: July 26, 2016 04:52PM

Does anyone here remember the Kurt Russell movie from 1981, "Escape From New York?"

Well, maybe some movie producer could do a rehash only call it "Escape From Salt Lake City, 2021" to give it a sci-fi feel.

The Salt Lake City of the future, after the Mormons have become a relic of the past, and what's left of downtown is museums.

:/

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 10:25PM

for MLM frauds and confidence men who used religion to extort money. Snake Plissken is sent in to rescue the president. No, not that one, but the president of the U.S. (Uber Stations). The Mormon president is in the psych wing, and no one wants to spring him.

Date: July 27, 2016 02:29PM

This version sounds riveting!

Someone named Luther decides to help spring the president, when all hell breaks loose! An apocalypse of mammoth proportion follows when he unleashes his fury on what's left of the city.

Spiritual warfare follows; Snake Plissken to the rescue like Hans Solo to Darth Vader.

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 03:13AM

I moved to a So-Cal city known to be a mo mo strong hold... hardly anyone here is Mormon

Date: July 27, 2016 02:24PM

What city is that? Was that your reason for moving there because there were hardly any Mormons, or did that come as a pleasant surprise?!

:)

Posted by: Sweets ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:43PM

I live in Nashville, and the influx of people has made rent skyrocket in the last two years! Please don't move here!

Date: July 27, 2016 07:47PM

I've never been to Nashville, but I kind of like the music ....

https://youtu.be/PRozu-puKko

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.