Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mdoreenruthclark ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 02:34PM

December 2012, my husband and I got baptized together. used to go off n on to church but then due to his bad back and my macular degeneration in my eyes, and not being able to always drive, we both got to where we couldn't go to church much if at all. I asked stake pres and bishop about bringing my service dog. no answer. so I asked numerous times if they would lease bring the sacrament to my house, for three months now, nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 02:39PM

Mdoreenruthclark: If your husband has the priesthood he can bless and take care of the sacrament for you both.

HH =)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 02:39PM

try Jesus OPie

ETA ~ this spot sold to "Roll Bread Toast"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 04:44PM by ziller.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 02:41PM

It is a sad and unfortunate truth that in this particular church, they are not going to do anything to help you. They don't feel it is their role. The congregants are to serve the church and not the other way around.

I'm sorry you finding this out and probably feel like it's personal. It's not personal. They're just not going to go out of their way to help.

I'm sorry you're not getting the help you need.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 03:05PM

You may have confused mormonism with christianity... Well, actually, you were fooled into thinking the two were related.

Also, you may be a tad befuddled. We are not servants of the mormon church... Oh, no!

But I tell you what, post the bishop's email address and I'll write to him, see if I can stir him to action!

Posted by: Oliver Cowardly ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 03:35PM

You're just now discovering what the users of this board already knew, that the church is a steaming pile of dog poo. The church doesn't care at all about you, it cares only how it can use you for its own benefit.

And that is but one reason (among many) why we are no longer Mormons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 04:37PM

Under U.S. federal law, the Mormon church is required to accommodate service animals in all buildings and areas open to the general public.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:20PM

"Under U.S. federal law, the Mormon church is required to accommodate service animals in all buildings and areas open to the general public."

But can your service animal pass the sacrament to you?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:32PM

If it's a dog, it has to be almost two years old.

If it's a Galapagos turtle, it has to be at least 70 years old...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 04:38PM

Aren't service dogs allowed because of disability laws? You don't need permission to bring a service dog to church with you, if it's for medical reasons.

Just go to church with your service dog! If someone gives you a hard time, sic your dog on em. (jkz)

Now that's a work dog! :D

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 24, 2016 04:51PM

Since moving into a retirement village seven years ago and no longer driving, my mother has seen priesthood leaders twice and only once did they offer the sacrament. The sacrament visit was only three months ago and she thought it was going to be a regular routine but it turned out to be just the once. The couple that came were older and infirm themselves. I think it's not so much that they won't come again but can't come.

Being old in the Mormon church makes you relatively invisible.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 02:06AM

This is why I don't have a butt. Stuff like this ground if down to a stump.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 02:58AM

Here's what ya do: Quit giving them your money.

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 08:35PM

ADA has a religious exemption. But why don't you just take your dog. At this point you don't know that it will be a problem. (You might contact your HTer to ask for help getting the sacrament, and your VTer to let the Relief Society Pres know that you will be coming with a service animal and need to know if they will clear a chair so the dog can sit down beside you.)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:16PM

If so, I guess you'll need to call the uncaring bishop again and again to prod him into action.

I would encourage you to check out the facts of this church. Many read and study their way out and are better off for it.

Good luck. I have eye problems too and know this must be difficult for you. Good luck with all of these issues.

Posted by: PaintingintheWIN ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:23PM

You could try caling your Relief Society president and tell them of your desperate need for help. for instance, I once helped clean the home of a disabled couple in Ca except it was the man who had lost his sight completely, and she went to a wheelchair and coikdnt keep up. We found his pistol in the empty fireplace in late summer. These things happen, people do help each other. My house was a mess Im sure others were too but after the loaded pistol turned up near a gas log, nobody minded because they knew they were needed. Other churches are like that too. You can bring a guide dog or service dog into any protestant service... I like the informal ones with good music they have bands speaker systems and short services. YES you can reach out for fun music and inspiration. Dont be afraid. Use dial a ride since your husbands back hurts or he may stay home, and you cant see comfortably.
Sorry about the fellowshipping 2 years ago more true friends can be found in a rehab church where people know how bad life can hurt, and they love the little things.

Please dont stop looking for music love and smiles just chirch hop. Bring your dog.

And and and some places serve donuts after church! Yay! And you get to eat and talk... I think youd like it. Its about time to to get the (pause) church (pause) hop <move your shoulderswhen you say that to rythym of the song: "the Monster Mash"

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 10:29AM

Don't hesitate to still live and learn. This congregation of Mormons obviously doesn't care about your welfare. Now, move on from that and if you still desire to go to a church, go to one that actually cares about you and doesn't see you as just an ass in the pew. Realizing you made a mistake by joining a cult is not the end of the world, it's the beginning of the rest of your beautiful life. And thank your lucky stars you didn't give them a lifetime's worth of tithing.

Posted by: You don't know me ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 12:22PM

This is one of the reasons I like this community.

Here we have a TBM asking for help from us (probably not knowing who we are).

None of the responses appear to be vile. Some less than polite, but hey, this IS the internet afterall. But there are real suggestions to help this lady out in her trouble (though most of us would see being ignored by Mormons as a blessing).

We are showing one of the most important things Mormons (and especially the corporate church) seem to lack: genuine compassion.

Posted by: wee one ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 10:34PM

Call a different church. I don't think God cares which church you go to, or how you choose to worship him.

The mormon church has no professionally trained clergy, so it's luck of the draw as to how they tend members.

I don't go to church, but I have a friend who attends a Baptist church, and all the ladies there have at least two crock pots. It is their joy in life to take care of others - for all their beliefs that I consider so strange, their hearts are full of love for people. They also support their pastor so that he can "tend the flock." Word spreads as to whom needs what, and it just appears. They go into the city soup kitchen laden with food once a week to feed strangers, and can tell you how many are homeless there. These people are not big on preaching, but huge on just showing up.

The point is, you can find the love of god wherever it is allowed to thrive. You may want think about expanding your options.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.