Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 08:56AM

Jumping into the way back machine, who all remembers radio station K96? It was a top 40 station (I think based out of Provo) that was very popular back in the late 70's early 80's.

One thing they use to do was the "K-96 Soundoff" where listeners could write in and bitch about whatever was bothering them. Their letter would be read by on-air talent.

The Soundoff's were always cringeworthy and dripping with LDS self righteousness. A couple I still remember even today:

Someone sounded off about how they thought it was horrible that local restaurants served coffee and that coffee drinkers should be segregated with the smokers since coffee drinking and smoking went hand in hand (smoking sections were still around back in this era).

I remember another sound off where the person was complaining about racing events like the Indy 500 and how it was such a waste of gasoline during the then energy crisis. (Forget the fact that Indy cars use ethanol).

It was Planet Utah in full display.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 10:44PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 28, 2016 12:44AM

I don't know anything about K96. Is that a soviet submarine or something ?

I only remember Lynn Lehmann and Skinny Johnny Mitchell.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600151805/KCPXs-former-Big-13-Team-has-get-together.html?pg=all

Posted by: Still Lurking ( )
Date: July 28, 2016 02:14AM

I remember K96; I won a lot of their contest stuff.
KCPX was also a fave; I loved the syndicated top 40 countdown hosted by Wolfman Jack.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.