Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tmg ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 12:12AM

How many times growing up did my Sunday school teachers, family and mormon friends tell me that people leave the church not because they dont think its true, but because of hypocrites or being offended or anger. Well, I am angry. I am furious. so what? I am angry at the church for making me feel worthless, not good enough, and weak. I always felt unlovable. Is it wrong that I am so angry at a man made institution that has allowed an endowed, temple attending man violate me and keep his endowments? I am sooo angry that I devoted 20 years of my life to this. I gave the church everything.My bishop gave up on me and all my mormon friends cut me out. I know I need to heal, but today I am angry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 12:16AM

I have been out for almost 16 years, & I'm still pissed off for the extreme mental abuse inflicted upon me by the cult. Get mad when you need to get mad! We were in a cult — either by force or by brainwashing!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 01:16AM

They never explicitly explained it, but I learned at church it's only okay to get angry if you are God, or his supposed representative. In other words, only those with power or authority are allowed to have 'righteous indignation'.

Everybody else is supposed to put up with just about everything and be forgiving (70X7), be humble, never criticize the leaders, endure to the end, say yes to every calling and request to serve, pay tithing before buying groceries, and make nice with the bitch down the road who started a rumor about you because she's the primary president and we need to all get along. Some have even been expected to tolerate abuse or sweep it under the rug.

I'm not sure if the emphasis on not ever being 'offended' is CALCULATED to create doormats who will tolerate all sorts of impositions, expectations, violations of privacy, and abuse. But it sure is effective at creating passive people with repressed anger. And when people learn that they put up with that stuff to remain part of a religion that isn't even TRUE, the repressed anger finally makes it's way to the surface and erupts.

So then what does the church do? It points out how ANGRY apostates are. They must be nasty, mean people, who left because they lost the spirit. Pay no attention to those angry and bitter people over there. They just have an axe to grind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 01:17AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 02:21AM

That means you're normal. The recovery process is working. Ye shall learn the truth, and the truth shall piss you off. Trust me, you'll be so happy when it's over with.

Posted by: spotted otter ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 04:46AM

Yeah, IMO that's just culty bs. I didn't leave because I was

angry. I left because it's false. Then I realized my family was

duped and taken advantage of and fleeced. That made me angry. By

itself TSCC is so fake it's funny, but then add in the duping,

callous using and fleecing and it's maddening.

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 07:24AM

Angry? Take a look at Topper's link to the article in his post something like "The effect on children of being raised in a cult".

Most of the examples are from the Branch Davidsons, but I found the thesis very interesting. Among other things, it specifically references anger in cult-raised children.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 08:42AM

I try to jettison the anger as soon as it manifests. I inflate imaginary balloons with my anger as if with helium; in my mind I tie them off and walk to the top of the nearest hill and release them and watch them rise into the sky and become smaller and smaller until finally they disappear from sight.

It takes practice; I'm getting better at it. I've laid in a stock of balloons because I still have a fair amount of anger/helium that needs to be released.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 09:25AM

I should try using my imagination. In TSCC's case, I might have better luck with "Hulk smash".

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 10:40AM

What you DO with that anger is a different matter.

IDK about you, but I was raised with the idea that I wasn't allowed to be angry about anything, I just had to pray and accept my role in the cult. Suppressing anger for so long is detrimental to teaching children how to sublimate their negative feelings. Without learning how to properly respond to angry feelings, it can turn into depression, anxiety, exploding rage, passive-aggressive behaviour, or swallowing feelings with various methods such as eating disorders, addictions, or popping a pill without dealing with the root of the anger. These are all issues we see crop up with Mormons- they're not allowed to feel normal, valid feelings or express them, so they cover them up with unhealthy behaviours.

So be angry. Let those feelings run their course and learn how to sublimate them into something productive eventually. When the anger starts overtaking your life and negatively influencing day to day activities, then it's time to be concerned. You're normal and probably going through the stages of grief, which can be applied to any kind of loss or life change!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 12:13PM

Let them reap what they have sown.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.