Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 08:24PM

As a kid, I realized it was all false because of history. Not the cult's history, but world history. Nothing in the BOM jived with what I was being taught in school, or what I learned from watching history documentaries or reading history books. I remember being only around 5 or 6 & thinking it was just all made up. It had to be allegorical. But people in the ward believed that it all really happened. I couldn't believe it. They had all been duped.

(Grammatical error)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2016 08:25PM by Tristan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 09:30PM

Well Tristan, you got a big headstart on me! I didn't question it until much later than you did.

You were a critical thinker from an early age! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2016 09:31PM by Amyjo.

Date: July 21, 2016 09:38PM

I wasn't able to leave until I was almost 25 though, & I still haven't been able to resign. Hopefully, it will happen next year.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 09:39PM

Years ago an exmo friend of mine made the statement, "history is
anti-Mormon."

I said, "you mean Mormon history?"

"No," he answered, "history."

At the time I didn't know what he meant. However since then
it's become obvious that history is an enemy of Mormon claims.

Date: July 21, 2016 09:44PM

This is why I don't understand why some people don't leave the cult until they've studied the history of the cult. Can't they see that the BOM is completely false? I know I'm being critical of those Exmos, & that I should just be glad for them that they're out. But I want to ask them, "Why couldn't you see that it was false just because of the BOM?"

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 10:26PM

Right on Tristan!

If the BOM is actually what it claims to be then why don't Public Schools at least give it a cursory mention during their American History classes???

Or so it seems to me...

Date: July 21, 2016 10:41PM

Also, the bs the cult made up between ancient Hebrew & the fake & false "Reformed Egyptian". It just didn't make any sense! Of course, it didn't because it was all lies.

Date: July 21, 2016 11:51PM

Also, I was just thinking now about how I was so scared to talk about my thoughts regarding these things when I was a kid. Even to people who were Nevermos, mostly because I was scared, but also because I was legitimately verbally attacked for being forced to be involved with the cult. These people didn't know anything anyway, they attacked me on baseless claims from stuff like the Godmakers. I was also told that I was going to hell by a few kids.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 10:37AM

When it comes to religion, "allegorical" is just a word people use when evidence clearly shows the myths they believed were factual aren't factual at all. To the religious, it sounds better than "made-up shit," and gives them some room to justify continued belief.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 01:38PM

A little bit OT, but I have a US history book from 1876 that talks abou the theory that Native Americans crossed the Bering Straits, and then mentions "The story of American Indians coming from the Middle east is ridiculous".

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 08:32PM

The difference between Mormonism and reality bothered me at an early age. Dinosaurs were denied. God was racist. The Earth was very young, etc. But the worst, I think, was the repetitiveness of the lessons. Nothing new, just rehashed nonsense over and over. I started skipping church classes when I was six. By twelve, I'd had enough. Then came the righteous punishment and the saintly hate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.