Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BigBoy ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 06:12AM

Gag. Destroy the printing press.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 01:32PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 01:37PM

Wow! It's almost surreal
that you would stop to count
the words BigBoy wrote!

Date: July 21, 2016 01:43PM

We had to have things like this to keep the kids occupied in the pre-Internet days...

/former English teacher's voice off

Date: July 21, 2016 03:15PM

SL Cabbie SHOULD HAVE Written:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> We had to have things
> to keep us busy in the
> pre-Internet days...
>

There! I fixed it for you...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 01:44PM

By the time Joe died, it was a political movement. Otherwise it would have died with him. It's a little dicey to judge 19th century behavior from the 21st century, but we can certainly assess the contemporary Church.

"Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan Kenobi

Posted by: amongthetombstones ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 09:48AM

" It's a little dicey to judge 19th century behavior from the 21st century"

When you're claiming to have a direct line to God, I disagree. If 16 years olds can't date today, 14 year olds definitely shouldn't have been getting coerced into marriage then. If God gets involved in politics today, he should have had something to say about slavery back then.

God's morals seem to change to match the times. Doesn't sound like a God to me.

Date: July 25, 2016 03:07PM

1. He brought back the church.

He founded a church. The church he founded does not exist anymore. Oh, it has the same name, and some of the same offices, but neither the form nor structure it had when he made it up.

Two other 'famous' churches sprung up during the 19th century (the 1800s), Jehovah Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventist. Both of these organizations are kicking mormonism's big butt in every aspect you can name, most especially in growth and charity.

2. He was a learned man.

I think this is a typo; I think you meant to say he was NOT a learned man so he couldn't make it up. But that's not true. His dad was a school teacher and Joey read a lot, and loved to make things up. His mother's autobiography details how he loved to entertain them when the TV, cable and X-box weren't working.

3. He healed people.

Well, he was reported to have healed people. But Benny Hinn, and a lot of other TV preachers, are on video healing people. Me personally, I think people heal themselves.

When I was on my mission, I was asked to heal a Down Syndrome baby (look it up). I couldn't do it. One of the thoughts that came to me in the hours after this abject failure on my part was that I had no experience growing up with stories of ALLLLLL the healings done by church presidents or the apostles. And I asked myself, 'why weren't there thousands of such stories?'

you added a fourth that I missed: he gave us a place to gather.

So by that logic, Starbucks is better than the mormon church. Plus the customers don't have to clean Starbucks.

You're out of your league here. Go mow some more lawns so you can add to your missionary fund.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2016 03:11PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 03:39PM

Starbucks gives you something for your money, and they don't care what you do when you leave the building.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 04:00PM

Yeah, and what Starbucks gives you for your money is delicious to the taste, and most desirable! :)

Date: July 25, 2016 08:08PM

I shouldn't have reported "ldslover."

I'll offer that by way of explanation for EOD's "out-of-the-blue" subline... (I'm the poster with the "fetish for ellipses," honest)

I'll pass on anymore "snark" (since my first disappeared).

You folks carry on with the barbecue, however, and be sure to go heavy on the marinade.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 02:15PM

bigboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Atheism is cool, if thats what you believe.
> Lately. Its been very hard cut on this forum. Some
> people dont believe in the LDS movements, however
> many of us do believe in Jesus.

There are (and always have been) many Christians on RfM...AND the rules prohibit proselytizing for any religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.