Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 12:24AM

After perusing several RfM pages, I noticed a glaring omission of Brother Benson posts. Is he OK?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 12:29AM

Search for "^"

Date: July 10, 2016 12:35AM

Like, put that symbol in a search? Is this a test? Is there a prize if I win?

Posted by: punching bag ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 01:00PM

toto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like, put that symbol in a search? Is this a test?
> Is there a prize if I win?

He is literally using the symbol ^ for his username. If you are interested I think that the usernames "<" and ">" are still available ;-)

Date: July 10, 2016 04:49PM

Ahhhh, got it. I really thought it was a joke at first. Thanks.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 03:56AM

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 12:57PM

Could you hit me up too? I kinda missed the whole episode as well.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 11:29PM

I missed the episode too. I'd like someone to fill me in. I miss Benson.

Posted by: Anon 4 today ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 12:34AM

I heard there was some drama a few months back. Steve decided to leave and he hasn't been back

Posted by: ^ ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 11:28PM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 31, 2016 02:55PM

Meeeee tooooo!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 12:47AM

Many of Steve Benson's posts are very well thought-out and well researched. I have often been surprised at his journalistic skills which go beyond just drawing cartoons, which he is very good at doing that too. When he is on-topic, he is very good at what he writes.

Several months ago, his posts started getting too political, introducing a large amount of liberal ideaology, laced with traces of mormon topics that seemed sparsely related, more like excuses for the political expression than real discussions about mormonism.

If we can get the researcher, the artist, the prophet's grandson back on here, that would be a big plus. I've missed those posts. The political commentator with a political axe to grind.... not so much.

Date: July 27, 2016 10:04PM

In that regard, some of your posts were deleted, as well.

Date: July 30, 2016 04:13PM

When I spoke the truth about Islam and asked a certain cartoonist to mock Mohamad in a published cartoon if Islam is such a safe religion, something amazing happened. Poof... both the post and the cartoonist just disappeared.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 30, 2016 05:21PM

Steve has kicked the ball about with the best of them through many years. One little post is not likely to have seen him off.

One thing Sus I/S often said: We're not the RS here. People come and go and we give them room to come, stay, go, return, or move on to other pastures. It's all the understandable ebb and flow of life.

Another thing different about RfM from LDS Inc is that people don't have to justify their choices to the body at large.

I've spent more time at RfM now than I did in the Mormon Church as a short term convert. Other than jibes about being stupid enough to convert or over-the-top snideities about being Christian, I'm happy to have found this board (recommended by one of the very few exmos I've ever met in person) and happy to come and go and stay or leave without having to explain myself - a refreshing change from the Mormon way.

Of course, I'm not a famous cartoonist/commentator.

So.

Carry on...

Or not.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 28, 2016 08:43PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> liberal ideaology...

Is that the study of liberal ideas? ;-)

Date: July 30, 2016 05:12PM

I think they're calling it progressivism these days.

Posted by: max omg ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 11:09PM

Please say your kidding about that being "the drama." For months I've been concerned that maybe there was a serious crisis, like a dire health condition, or a personal family - maybe mo- issue, and it was not my place to pry.

If the "real" cause is "miff due to board rules," I'm glad that there was no serious illness or other personal crisis, but damn.

Just.Damn.

It's exceedingly difficult to avoid politics when dealing with the intrusion of religion into The Ruling Classes of government, but your withdrawl from full and proud participation here proves the right thinking behind the board rule.

^ helped many people with mo issues, and it's a waste of brilliance to not realize that there is a time and place for all of your knowledge, wit and skill.

No need to respond. I miss you, and either you choose to create and help, or you don't. I think you can discern my "vote."

I'll end this by stating that you once had one of my replies removed; I think I hadn't explained myself well enough, and when you thanked the mod for removing it, it took a little time, but I got over it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 28, 2016 12:32AM

I'm guessing that S.B.'s disappearance had something to do with mormon pressure on the newspaper he works for.

Date: July 28, 2016 01:13PM

Date: July 28, 2016 09:32PM

Hello Dear Brother.

I was worried about you, so I'm glad to hear from you, and glad you're OK. Take care with whatever you're doing.

Sincerely,
toto

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 28, 2016 09:06PM

I couldn't read his novella's....just not that interesting after the first 15 or 20.

RB

Posted by: Quirky Quark ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 07:10PM

Leth Rep
If I recall you didn't have a real belief testimony wielding investment in mormonism, is that correct?

If you didn't have a lot of testimony to deconstruct some of the detailed topics might not have been important for you?

For someone like myself who ate, slept and breathed mormon obedience for a huge chunk of my life.... well, S.B.'s ""novellas"" were like a life raft out in a sea of poop.

Gradually each detail began to untangle the mormon noose around my neck.

I owe him, and a number of other posters here whom I won't name now, almost every part of my deconversion.

I couldn't have done it without their painstaking attention to details to extremely important topics.

I bow to some of these posters who made my deconversion somewhat more tolerable, although how the board didn't ban me during my delicate 2 year deconstructing process shows me that the mods have the patience of Job.

Consider yourself very, very fortunate if you had no need for such novellas.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 05:30AM

I love Benson's stuff. And he *always* comes back after a long hiatus, this time as a "^". The dude can't help himself. He loves to sprinkle a little sarcasm, wit, and humor into the RfM pot year after year. Comedians are like that-they need their audience. He can't stay away long.

Luv u Steve!
;o)

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 10:09AM

I assumed somebody else was using the "^" handle to top Steve's previous posts, but I don't know why I thought that.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: July 29, 2016 06:54PM

Steve said he was leaving but then started using the name "^" to boost his old posts and put a few comments on the board. Looks like he can't quite let go

Posted by: farside ( )
Date: July 30, 2016 12:56PM

Wait, do we know that's really Steve, or is it somebody commenting on Steve's prior post's. "^" talks about Steve in third person a lot. Makes me wonder.

I just drop in every now and then, so I don't follow every little thing that's going on.

I do miss Steve's posts, though. I hope he starts a blog (or something similar), because I'd love to keep reading him, whether it's mo-related or not.

Posted by: Charles, not logged in ( )
Date: July 30, 2016 05:21PM

Good lord! SB has turned into a "carrot". Miss the guy's posts, too.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 30, 2016 05:35PM

In b 4 ~ ^

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.