Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: uvk ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:17PM

and I don't remember whom, I'm at work and don't have time to search, but this is interesting....

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36640464

"Microsoft has agreed to pay a Californian woman $10,000 (£7,500) after an automatic Windows 10 update left her computer unusable."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:25PM

I was force-updated to Windows 10 as well. I couldn't get to the "heck no" button quickly enough. Updating was something that I had intended to do, but I wanted to do it on my own schedule. Not at 5:00 A.M. on a work morning when I was desperate to get to my work email. Instead I had to spend several days grappling with a new OS. So much for "productivity."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 06:29PM

But there wasn't really any choice. They would bug you about updating every 30 seconds or so until you finally agreed to it. And I haven't liked the way my computer works since I've had W10. My computer locks up completely - won't do a thing - every once in a while, and the only thing I can do is manually turn it off and leave it alone until the next day, when it usually behaves itself to some extent.

I really resented that they wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I fought them off for a couple of months with refusals, but it got to the point that the constant besieging was too much of a nuisance.

I am NOT a fan.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:09PM

I had postponed it; wanted to take some prep time first. I did back up all my MS Pub templates and reports Google Drive, and was then going to go through three years of photo folders...

But then I woke up a couple of mornings later to the news that MS had done the deed while I slept. I logged in and found a much cleaner interface and zero problems. In fact, one problem I'd been having involving converting MS Pub files to .PDFs disappeared. That't the only thing I noticed that was different, that the one problem I'd had in the past was resolved.

Oh yeah, one of my Nuance programs announced that I had exceeded the number of computers on which I could install the program and I needed to clear this up (pay more money) by getting in touch with customer service. But when I explained it was just the upgrade to W10, the customer service rep said, No problem, give her ten minutes and reopen the program. And true to her word, it works again.

I like it.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 10:17PM

ban windoze 10

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 10:54PM

"pc problem"

I thought you were going to jerk someone up short for not being politically correct.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:39PM

I went through 3 computers in less than 30 days because of windows 10. I was to the point where I was ready to go back to the good ole days of no computer and a land line.

The lady at the Apple store convinced me she could fix all of my aches, pains, and broken computer problems.

I went full on Apple and haven't had so much as a whisper of a problem since.

Windows 10 was like dying and going to hell.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 02:35AM

I'm also one who went with Apple because of the whole Windows 10 situation, as upgrading would have ruined my old laptop which was already on its last legs when I got my Apple computer. My dad got a new laptop with Windows 10 already on it, and for him it seems to be working fine as it's a brand new laptop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2016 02:38AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 12:17AM

I had a clean upgrade and Windows 10 is running fine. Not a burp or a peep. It seemed to stop dead for a time but I opened a beer, and then another. I didn't pour them into the PC but drank them, if you must know.

A friend experienced an unwanted upgrade and I spent a few hours changing some settings and playing tour guide and all is now well.

Your mileage may vary. Most of my friends are moving to Apple as they retire and I will, too. But for mainstream users tied to a corporate IT infrastructure we're stuck with MS and associated apps.

BcE

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 12:17AM

Upgrades are how software companies address "software rot". Yep, that's a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot

It's a little like religion rot, but Mormonism's latest LGBT patch had too many bugs. Not enough time spent testing.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 12:23AM

First words on the page:
"This article has multiple issues."

lol

Is there anything about this topic that doesn't?

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 08:15AM

I had a forced update that made it so my computer could no longer see my printer, but wouldn't allow me to delete the old printer drivers and reinstall updated ones. I ended up having to buy a new printer when the old one was perfectly functional before. Google tells me I'm not the only person to have this problem.

Date: June 29, 2016 08:42AM

I have an old but still functional and nice Epson printer. Like all Epsons it has individual ink cartridges for each color (blue, cyan, yellow.) Under Win 8.1 I would get a pop-up screen each time I printed showing me exactly how much ink was left in each cartridge. It was a very handy feature. No more. I did update the drivers, but it didn't help.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 11:14AM

Just a quick comment (not excuses)...

The PC platform has such a wide, varied, and often "not adhering to any standard" of hardware and software that making ANY operating system is, well, problematic at best. It's just not possible to do any kind of new OS, no matter how good it is, and support all of the hardware and software out there. Hardware manufacturers often "take advantage of" bugs and quirks of particular version of an OS like Windows, even though they really shouldn't. Software makers ignore OS calls and write their own code that talks to hardware through "unofficial channels" that are buggy, or that have to disappear in later versions. Frankly, I'm often amazed at how well most of it *does* work.

At one company I used to work for that released dozens of PC titles a year, we had over 200 people in our QA department that did nothing but "compatibility testing." They'd load hundreds of brands of PCs with thousands of variations of hardware (sound cards, graphics cards, hard drives, printers, etc.) and software (OS versions, extensions, add-ons, etc.), and test all of our software on it. It never worked on everything (not surprising, since that's probably not even possible), so we'd make decisions based on what % of people probably had this particular weird combination.

One reason Apple's OS updates work "better" (though honestly that's debatable) is that they have a much tighter grip on hardware and software that runs on the platform. That approach gains you some compatibility while losing users tons of options in hardware and software (and raising costs). Oh, well. Pick yer poison.

Anyway, not making excuses for Microsft or anyone else...just something to keep in mind next time you go buy a new PC, or a new printer, and turn it on and it just works. That's not as simple a task as some folks seem to think :)

Date: June 29, 2016 12:08PM

Yeah, I'll bet!

It turns out that overall I like Windows 10 because it makes a whole lot more sense as an OS than the ill-conceived Win 8+ ever did. My main issue with it is the Edge browser, which has great potential but is still *really* buggy. I'm hoping that MS works that out over time.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 05:51PM

I agree. I'm quite pleased with Windoze 10, actually.

However...I never use MS Browswers. Horrible compatibility, and usually slow as molasses. Firefox or Chrome.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 01:56PM

I made the stupid mistake of upgrading from W7 to W10 last July. My laptop hasn't worked right since. It finally locked up a couple weeks ago so my tech guy retrieved all the files I needed, wiped it clean and installed W10 as a new stand alone OS. All the upgraded computers have a problem with W10 fighting with the previous OS already on the computer, whether that be W7, 8 or 8.1. W10 is still, IMHO inferior to XP and even the much maligned Vista but there's no going back. If I could afford an iMac I might spring got one but will probably buy another laptop and not be tied to a tower.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2016 07:07PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 08:19PM

My Windows 8 laptop upgraded to Win 10 with absolutely no problems. Then again, I installed Win 10 clean instead of over Win 8.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.