Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 07:28AM

I was never into the cartoon Dick Tracy so I need your help. Did Dick Tracy wear an Apple Watch or did he wear a rock on his wrist to communicate with?

When I was TBM, I used to try and believe my iPOD was like a seer stone. It never worked.

I did search and finally find a real seer stone. The only problem with it working was I could never find the power port to charge it or the on/off button. Damm thing never worked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:38AM

If the caption on this cartoon is accurate, that was a two-way wrist TV.

http://unisci24.com/data_images/wlls/15/221084-dick-tracy.jpg

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 09:44AM

lol

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 06:51PM

The two way wrist TV is older technology, similar to the urum and thumum used in ancient times.

The iPod is newer technology, similar to the seer stone JS used in the 1800's.

It's pretty simple if you keep the time frames in mind.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 10:37AM

and turned into a 2-way wrist TV in 1964.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 07:00PM

I loved Dick Tracy and his gadgets. Who knew we'd be using them plus much more now.

RB

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 10:39AM

Apple watch using Skype.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 06:40PM

Elder Tracy wore a petrified tapir turd covered with shellac. You can't tell the difference between it and the Cosmic Pebble that Prophet Smith used to translate the Chinese restaurant menu that we know and love as "The Book of Mormon."

You should know this already. I'm reporting you to the Mothership so they can send Home Teachers around, pronto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 06:41PM by getbusylivin.

Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 01:47AM

Anyone remember some dick Tracy promotion at McDonald's in the early 90s they were like a scratch off ticket type thing, I was a real young kid but I remember the "gambling" type excitment of getting them

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 02:01AM

I vaguely do remember that promotion, although I wasn't a kid. I like Dick Tracy in the 50's and 60's and had lots of comic books based on those stories.

The McDonald's thing was probably based on the Dick Tracy movie, written by and starring Warren Beatty, back when he was a big deal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099422/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It got pretty mixed reviews but IIRC, it looked great; the costumes and sets were very cool.

You can also find on Amazon Prime movies, if you have that, some old Dick Tracy movies from the 30's, 40's, black and white of course. Kind of fun, but not much too them.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 11:37AM

I'm not a big Warren Beatty fan, but one way or another the Dick Tracy movie didn't do much for me. I read that they spent huge amounts of money on makeups recreating all those hideous criminals from the comic strip--and then they killed most of them off in one scene very early in the movie. Maybe the makeups weren't all that convincing. And I've never been much of a Madonna fan either. I saw it because my then-13-year-old stepson wanted to go.

OTOH I grew up with Dick Tracy in the 1950s and early 60s. At the time it seemed exciting; but looking back from here, it had a lot of gratuitous graphic violence. Tracy enjoyed beating up suspects and didn't bother much with Miranda warnings.

Then the science fiction element came in and the whole gang went to the moon in Diet Smith's magnetic spaceship. The moon people didn't dress like Quakers, but the females wore Nancy Sinatra-style go-go boots and very little else. When Junior Tracy eloped with the Moon Maid, I gave up on Dick Tracy. I was in college by then, so maybe I just outgrew it. I gave up on MAD magazine about the same time, but Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four lasted a little longer. Obviously they were more intellectual.

The wrist-TV was more prophetic than most fictional gadgets of that era. I always thought it was ironic that none of the science fiction writers of the 1950s--not even Heinlein or Poul Anderson--foresaw the pocket calculator. They had guys in spaceships still using slide rules. At least Tracy was on the cutting edge of technological innovation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.