Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:44AM

The song says that Earth must atone for the blood of Joseph Smith, which was shed by assassins. I was thinking of how this idea affected Mormon docrines and behavior.

First of all, it sounds like a demand for generalized punishment. It's a form of original sin held against everyone on Earth, and can only be remitted by conversion to the Mormon gospel. There is no grace, solely because of Joseph Smith's blood. Almost makes him an anti-Savior of sorts.

Second, there was the oath of vengeance in the temple endowment until 1927/1930/whatever. The oath was taken against the United States. This is congruent with the idea that most Americans have heard the gospel and will be judged more harshly because of it. Also in 3 Nephi, the Lamanites are supposed to conquer or kill the Gentiles and build the New Jerusalem. Why? What did they do wrong? They rejected Joseph Smith.

Then there are the appalling hair-trigger standards of blood atonemnet. Sins that woud have been overlooked before, like a few insults from the Fancher Party, become capital crimes because of Joseph's blood. It's like the blood covenant of the endowment. Break it in the slightest way and you deserve to be killed in three different ways. Just be glad they can't do it yet because of the secular laws.

Finaly, Joseph gets to judge you however he wants to admit you to Heaven. Doesn't matter if you were a good person. He may demand that you give him your wife to get into Heaven. He may demand that you become his wife. It's a good deal; take it. It's the only way to Heaven, because he gave his life...for himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 07:39AM

The idea of Joseph Smith standing in judgement of anyone is so laughable.

The fact that other prophets think they are going to be in the same roll, is it any wonder they came up with the second anointing.

What a bunch of weirdos. How could anybody not look at this and think cult cult cult...

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:36AM

Like it is the Earths fault. How dare the world of people not listen to superstition and fantasy. lol I think the lyrics used to be different too. It was something like "Illinois must atone". How dare they hold Joseph Smith accountable to the law and jail him! What happened to men being accountable for their own sins and not for their fathers(adam) transgressions? Wait, the curse of cain too? God is really wishy washy isn't he.

He willingly gave up his life, in a gun fight that he shot 3 men. Sounds like martyrdom to me.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:14PM

The original lyrics went, "Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins, stain Illinois while the Earth lauds his fame."

They've replaced "stain Illinois" with "plead unto heav'n". See: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1769528,1769894#msg-1769894

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:47AM

Earth having to atone for the blood of Joseph is putting Joseph on the level of Christ.

Christ atones for all the earth and now all the earth has to atone for Joseph? That puts him on the level of a God no two ways about it.

This line alone is proof that Joseph Smith is worshipped by Mormons. Mormons DO worship Joseph Smith. He himself said he had done a better job with the church than even Christ. He gets to decide who goes to heaven. He has to let you past the velvet rope even if you already made it past Jesus.

Mormons worship Joseph Smith.

Okay everyone. Get on your crosses and let's get this atoning thing over with.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:57AM

W.W. Phelps was only writing lyrics as a man.

(And someone changed those later anyway...)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:04PM

The above posters got me thinking about the interesting paradox Joseph Smith plays in Mormonism and how the average member may not be aware of this paradox.

Brigham Young, in speaking about the temple endowment, taught that the signs and tokens were to guide one back to God enabling one to pass by the angels and sentinels standing as guards. We all know that the final "health to the navel..." talk with the Lord through the veil lets one go through it to the presence of God. Yet, in many early conference talks Joseph Smith plays an important role in getting to God's presence; and, as Blue noted, Joseph will be the judge in the Last Judgement.

Perhaps this should be a major talking point with Mormons, "Can you explain to me why your church teaches that the temple allows me to enter the presence of God but your prophets clearly taught that Joseph Smith will be my judge and have final say if I can enter God's presence? And what is the role of Jesus Christ in all of this?" The Boner.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:29PM

Yeah. Where's the essay on that juicy bit?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:24PM

earth abides

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:54PM

I'm sorry you all are wallowing in sin, but it's okay. My God is coming to kick your ass.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:57PM

Maybe just a little culty. Maybe.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:06PM

What a crap fest.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:14PM

My wife has a very old songbook, it's been many years, since I looked at it but I seem to remember "Many" or Missouri or something like that instead of Earth?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 04:14PM

Always a debt to be payed with this god.

Why do all his en devours result in someone owing someone?

Everything and everyone OWES god big time!

And he isn't going to be happy until he gets what he's owed!!!

Even the earth has to pay!!

Honestly, I never understood the reasoning or need for all the debt that has to be paid because god supposedly created the earth and us.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:00PM

After the Mountain Meadows Massacre many of the leaders gathered
in a circle to thank God that they were able to fulfill their
temple covenants.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:37PM

I would like to see a movie made in which JS is serving the devil in hell and bragging about all his exploits!

Another way is to have an actor play the part and be interviewed by a TV reporter - perhaps in several parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 08:39PM by rhgc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.