Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:05AM

I'm over the Church, in a sense. Something I really believed in once, but it wasn't hard to let go of. Truth is kind of my thing. But the Church destroyed people I loved deeply and they are still lost in a toxic and bitter wasteland. That hurts, and it will always hurt.

So, I keep coming to terms with it. Helping heal other people helps me. Maybe a lot of us are in the same boat. RFM is part of our recovery process because we are human and here we get to be more human.

I'm starting to see Mormons in a more gentle light. They're not just the raving lunatic in a straight jacket insisting I'm crazy. They're real people stuck in an unfortunate place that some people just can't escape. Maybe someday I'll make peace with this sweet monster that eats everything. Until then, I can only keep telling myself that love conquers all. Mormonism is my compassion bench press and God is my spotter. But let me tell you, this is some heavy shit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:14AM

I hope you take satisfaction in the likelihood that your voice is part of what keeps apostasy a very real rite of passage in modern mormonism.

Many of us old timers didn't know anyone else who was doubting or leaving. The worm has turned; now everybody knows good people who very obviously did NOT leave to sin.

I suspect that the majority who leave just ... leave! Maybe I just want to believe it, but whether I'm right or not, it's what I believe. I believe that the majority of TBM parents who see their children apostatize do NOT react in the manner so often depicted here. I want to believe that most parents are not that insane.

I want to believe that the majority of apostates leave and it's no big deal and so they never need to find support. That's my vision and I'm hanging on to it.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 07:47AM

Bradley wrote--
-Mormonism is my compassion bench press and God is my spotter. But let me tell you, this is some heavy shit.

Sooooo true

Posted by: Sconer ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 07:53AM

Be true to yourself!

Posted by: Sconer ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 07:57AM

Believe in yourself.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:24AM

LDS church leaders would say that's Satan whispering in our ears, not truth. If they only knew what I felt in my head, the rightness of it, the lightness of it, they might think instead, that maybe there's more to life than only to obey, and more reward in living as you find your own way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 08:25AM by seekyr.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.