Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fiona ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 05:59PM

I just had a disturbing interaction with some friends who are still 100% convinced Mormonism is true. It started with one friend announcing she would unfriend anyone who dared to use profanity and hashtagged it #sorrynotsorry #getanewvocabulary.
Right before this status, she'd posted one of those "I'm a mormon, no I'm not judging you, no I don't think I'm better, I'm just trying to live worthy to return to my Father in Heaven, my job is to show everyone the love God and Jesus would etc etc" (I'm paraphrasing).
It seemed absurd, at best, to one minute post about your mission to love all like your god allegedly does, and then follow it with a "Imma delete anyone who swears!" style status. So naturally, I called her out on it.
This started off a long-winded conversation between me against her other TBM friends, who continued to preach absurdity to justify deleting someone over a curse word they don't like. Some of these gems were:

"God doesn't use profane language. You are not required to invite sins into your life just love the person despite their sins. Just like not watching movies with profanity, violence, nudity, etc. You are not required to read posts that contain those things as well."

"God does not tolerate sin in the least despite his love for the sinner. Not being Facebook friends with someone because of their language is a perfectly good reason."

"Love does not mean tolerance"

"Does that mean I'm judgmental and un-Christ-like for removing friends/family who put me in a situation that I don't want to be in?? No it doesn't! "

"As Christians our job is to be an example of what Jesus Christ himself would do, that's a leader, who has the courage to stand up for what one believes to be right, even if that means being hung on a cross. Christ loved all, and through his example He taught many to be a leader and stand for what is right. We are here to learn and better ourselves, don't hate on **** for trying to improve her life. If it baffles you as to why she doesn't want it in her life, try praying and asking Heavenly Father what you want to know."

..... there was plenty more but for the sake of length, I'll just use these examples.

I came away feeling completely baffled that these people not only judge over such stupid shit, but that they truly don't believe they're judgmental! And like the cult they are, they all gang up on anyone who calls them out.
And what's better? One of these girls who said it was totally fine to delete someone for swearing then added me! I asked her why, as it went against everything she just said and she replied with saying she can still "love me" even though she doesn't agree with me. What???
I almost think this friend-of-a-friend that I've never met only wanted to add me to show "look how Christlike I am for adding the ex-mormon who swears" rather than out of genuine goodwill. Nevertheless, I decided to add her because maybe my skepticism is wrong and time will tell.
Am I just crazy or is this pervasive problem of Mormons shunning and cutting anyone who even lives contrary standards to them...... COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS? And my God, the HYPOCRISY OF MORMONS. They think of themselves as such saints (literally), and so set-apart, and try to showcase themselves as such Christlike strivers, but in their regular lives 6 days of the week (sometimes seven), they're just fucking judgmental pricks who love to play holier-than-thou.
Posting:
"Yes, I'm a Mormon. No, I don't worship Joseph Smith. Yes, I'm a Christian. No, I don't hate gays. No, I won't try to shove the Bible or the Book of Mormon down your throat. No, I don't tell non-Mormons that they're going to hell. And no, I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I was put on this earth to prove to my Heavenly Father that I'm worthy to return to live with Him, to be an example of the love that He and His only Begotten son, Jesus Christ, has for everyone, and to spread His Gospel to all who are ready to receive it. Period."

Directly followed by:
"Cleaning up my friends. Say the f bomb one more time and you're gone. #sorrynotsorry #getanewvocabulary"

Am I wrong here? Or are so many of them so completely blind to how judgmental and pharisaical they are?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:07PM

Since no one else is buying their lies anymore, Mormons are lying to themselves.

They don't have fact on their side. They don't have reason on their side. They don't have human kindness or understanding or empathy on their side.

All they have is their phony "superior" facade and the only way to keep it up is to lie to themselves. Believing their own bull is a survival skill now.

The only thing you can do is avoid them because they have been lying so long it is pathological.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 06:08PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:12PM

This hurts me more than it hurts you.

It's almost as if they are giving courses on how to be an abusive parent.

Posted by: Fiona ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:23PM

And not only did this friend get a substantial amount of likes for her status, but every TBM girl who posted a reply have all played clique to support each other's positions while condemning mine, as if they REALLY do believe they're right. It's so delusional it concerns me.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:35PM

But the contrarian in me wouldn't be able to resist dropping multiple f-bombs then daring her to do her worst.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:39PM

A LOT of people find the word "f***" to be particularly offensive, and I really can't blame them for wanting to block a constant barrage of it on their own Facebook page. To them, perhaps, such a person is being insensitive to them, instead of the other way around. I think it was considerate of the person to give a warning, rather than just getting fed up with it and blocking you without warning.

As to all the various reasons they give, meh. But I DO believe it is well within anyone's right to block someone who repeatedly uses language that they find offensive.

I blocked my SIL who only posts political stuff I'm opposed to. Sure, she has the right to have the opposite political views from me, but she never EVER posts anything at all about herself or her family - only these sarcastic, angry political posters. I got tired of even seeing it and finally blocked her.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:42PM

This why Mormonism can never be reformed and why you can't go back.

Posted by: Gone gorl ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:45PM

Didnt Christ spend his time with the sinners and lepers and cast outs? Don't recall him harrumphing and walking away. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:27PM

My thoughts exactly, gone gorl!

Just imagine the language used by tax collectors, whores, and fishermen. And what do you suppose Joseph said when he whacked his finger with a hammer? I don't remember Jesus leaving home over it.

I do, however, get so tired of the f bomb sometimes. I belong to a 12 step group where the f bomb is more common than the Serenity Prayer. But I don't judge someone because he uses it.

I knew a woman in my group who said if you bring your kids to meetings, two things will happen:. 1.) Your kid will be the first in his Sunday School class to know the Lord's Prayer, and 2.) he will be the first to get in trouble at school for saying "fuck."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:34PM

I also doubt Jesus would be offended at the f-bomb. Life is life - sometimes the f-bomb is all you have.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 06:50PM

I think I either would have ignored her post, or replied, "Do you really know that many people who swear on Facebook?" To me she was just showing off.

Posted by: bordergirl not logged in ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:00PM

Yes! Tell her to reread her Bible because Jesus was pretty clear about her kind of behavior!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:02PM

I think my reply would have been a succint "Fuck off."

But that's just me.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:33PM

Jesus doesn't unfriend people for cussing, he just wipes entire cities off the map.

Posted by: Anon4now ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:56AM

^^^^^ This! ^^^^^ omg it took me awhile to quit laughing so I could type this. I was smiling at the post above yours (Hie's), and then you had me lol! Thanks for that!

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:36PM

Just some random thoughts...

I've noticed the pile-on that occurs any time you call a Mormon out on Facebook. Their friends-of-friends, people you don't know and have never met, will start chiming in about how wrong you are, how "christlike" the person you're "attacking" is, yada yada yada. They circle their wagons to "protect" each other and start vomiting up the lies. It's a cult, after all, and about conformity, not truth.

A tangential thought related to the above, they're all also watching each other, and everything they post. When my niece was a Freshman at BYU, any time she "emoted" on Facebook, all the ladies in her network would crow about how "smart" she was. But if she posted something truly objective, or open minded, there's a conspicuous absence of "likes" and/or comments. For example, she posted once that she not only visited, but enjoyed visiting, a different church one Sunday, and the only likes were from non-Mo family members. This, for someone who usually gets between 50 and 100 likes for ANYTHING "right" that she posts. Everybody knows that the only reason to attend a non-mo church is to criticize it afterwards, right?

Most of the time they post crap like this ("I can't stand swearing") they are simply trying to draw attention to themselves, and how "good" they are. My TBM SIL goes on and On and ON, all the time, about sleeves and "modesty." Ironically, one of the definitions of modesty is to not draw attention to oneself. So, is it truly modest to yammer on about how "modest" you are? Just more Mormon cog dis...

Also, the vocabulary issues... Good grief. Words are just words. They only have the meaning--good bad or otherwise--and magnitude, that we ascribe to them. So, speaking of meaning and magnitude, is substituting "frickin'" or "flippin'" for the F-word really any different? It's filling the same place in the sentence, serving the same purpose (colorful magnifier), and even starts with the same letter, so you know what it's taking the place of. Literally, for all intents and purposes, the "innocuous" word is serving the exact same purpose as the "bad" word, so it's effectively no different. In usual Mormon fashion, it's much ado about nothing, except if one says "flippin'" enough to be noticed, then one must be REALLY Christlike, right? So, if you say "shut the fetch up," instead of "shut the F___ up," then you might as well just say, "shut the F___ up," or just shut the F___ up (pun intended).

By the way, the cool guy filler words is not just a Mormon thing. I was visiting someone in the hospital recently, and they were watching HGTV non-stop. On one episode of one of the ubiquitous house shows, they were featuring a minister and his wife, and the guy said "shut the front door," in place of "shut the F___ up" so many times that it got to be a little nauseating. It's like saying, "I'm so cool...I have a fill in phrase for 'shut the F___ up' that I can use whenever I'm shocked or surprised!" So, even greater than a filler word is a whole filler phrase, I suppose.

I guess the takeaway is that when Mormon Jesus was turning his nose up at the tax collectors and other sinners, to show how loving he was, he must have said something like "fetch off, mother flippers!" And the pharisees all nodded in approval and told him how "freakin' bad ask" he was. And then they went to the temple to clean toilets.

yeah, that last paragraph is a little tongue-in-cheek. Sorry, couldn't resist demonstrating how preposterous it all is. Somebody, please tell me to shut the front door! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 09:01PM by nomonomo.

Date: June 29, 2016 12:15AM

Really? Nobody? :(

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 09:04AM

Shut the front door!

Date: June 29, 2016 05:20PM

:D

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:40PM

21,000 people died of starvation today....

But I'm going to obsess over random swear words and coffee drinking...

And we can always dead dunk those 21,000 people eventually...

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 08:30PM

Funny...and sad at the same time. But sums up very well the gravity of a swear word vs. what is going on in the world. A world that Mos don't have a clue about.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:44AM

TXRancher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny...and sad at the same time. But sums up very
> well the gravity of a swear word vs. what is going
> on in the world. A world that Mos don't have a
> clue about.
================================
...and don't give a flippin fartin flyin freakin frosty fetch about!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 09:07AM

You said the farting word. I'm de-friending you on RfM.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:37AM

Isn't telling lies profanity? If so, she uses them all the time. I find it funny that most Mormons are offended by "fuck" but freely use words or phrases that really are offensive like "that's so gay" or "illegals" or disparaging remarks about black people or polish jokes. Just don't say fuck or shit and you are fine.

Posted by: taxed god ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 07:28AM

If you really want to mess with them, Google "the problem with wwjd" and post the excerpts that catch your eye.

Once again, mormons are way behind the curve in religious education and comprehension.

If it weren't so sad, it would be funny that it is their "devotion" to the one twue church that leaves them as spiritual infants. They have no hope of "saving" anything, going toe-to-toe with adults.

It is that shame which drives the secrecy, milk before meat, etc. There is nothing sacred about personal embarrassment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.