Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 03:24PM

Just watched the tab fire up the old carnival Wurlitzer and sing this. Man, what a trip. I love the smitten at last part. Monty Python couldn't have written this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 03:38PM

You mispelled prophet. It's profit!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 03:40PM

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI3t5wNypzY

To me it was okay, must have to have been there to fully appreciate it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 03:47PM

It's not the music, it's the freak show. They might as well be singing the praises of Charles Manson. YouTube goes on to pick other classics. Some beautifully quaint, most with a tinge of weirdness. You have to appreciate the subtlety of a good mindfuck.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:57AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>You have to appreciate the subtlety of
> a good mindfuck.

Good one, bradley! I just spewed kawfee all over my monitor screen!! LOL. Have a great day. -edzachery

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:30AM

It sounds very pretty, but when you think about it, it's really strange.

Like the part where just the women sing in their sweetest, most angelic style of singing about "the wicked who fight against Zion will surely be smitten at last." .... the style just didn't fit the words they were singing. [Oh, is that the part you were talking about, Bradley?]

And I agree, it's like the heavenly hosts singing praises to Charles Manson. If we sing really prettily about him, will him make him a wonderful person?

Wow, it took two organists to play the music. I've never noticed that done that way before. Looked a little crowded.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 12:31AM by seekyr.

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 05:01AM

We Thank Thee, O God, for Apostasy!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:46AM

We thank thee, O Google, for your very fine search engine that helps us to find the truth and other seekers.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 09:09AM

I notice that the men in the choir are older. Bald and grey hairs.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:02AM

Why is it okay for the MoTab to knock off this little ditty at MM 108 when the poor saps in the congregations back home are required to dirge it out at MM 76?

Back in the day, we had metronome police in our ward, mostly in the form of a fanatical local music teacher. He'd time all of the hymns with his watch, and if they were even slightly off the MM marking in the hymnal, the chorister and organist would have to stand for a lecture. And, if we'd played this at tango tempo like the MoTab did in the link, we'd have been destined for hell for sure.

For the record, that's not a Wurlizter. It's a fine example of the the work of the great American classic organ builder, Aeolian Skinner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Tabernacle_organ

Obviously not straight from the hymnal, this is somebody's arrangement for Organ Four Hands (and possibly four feet), and it modulates through at least three different keys. Nonetheless, it's pretty much a sappy piece of junk as far as artistic merit is concerned.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:17AM

Oops, that clip was recorded in the Conference Center, not the Tabernacle. The organ was made by Shoenstein. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoenstein_Organ_at_the_Conference_Center

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:02PM

I bet the cheap bastards sweated blood signing the check for that.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 12:37PM

You've got to spend money to make money.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 12:46PM

One guy looked like Eric Idle. Did anyone else notice how many times the lovely young african american woman was focused and framed upon?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.