Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 12:42PM

You started all this ridiculous focusing on the dead more than the living so you deserve to have your death be more important than your birth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 12:55PM

I am one of those who loves thinking about what might have been if JS had lived to a ripe old age. My thoughts on this subject begin with his escape from the Carthage jail just before the arrival of the mob.

It's easy to see on Google Maps the line of travel west to the Mississippi, but then one has to make stuff up... Would he have followed the river north, back to Nauvoo? Stayed where he was to see what developed; gone south on the river; gone further west?

There is a tiny chance that he would have admitted it was a BS and asked to be left in peace, but I doubt it, because then he'd have to work for a living.

It amuses me to think about all the ways he could have screwed things up sufficiently to NOT be taken seriously.

Date: June 27, 2016 01:04PM

Ah, when we engage in What Ifs thinking about WTF things.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 01:20PM

If Joseph had survived? What. The charlatan and the despot!

I think if Joseph and Brigham had both made it to the Deseret that Briggy would have had a special javelin made especially for Joe.

Ruthless beats shameless every time.

Date: June 27, 2016 02:43PM

Right on! JS was only shameless. BY was both! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 11:15PM

I was thinking about his possible escape routes and destinations a few days ago. There wasn't much in Iowa for him, and too close to Nauvoo. California had an Anglo community, but was accessible only by sea. I think Texas would have been the most likely place for him to settle.

He probably would have toned down the weirdness and become a more political preacher, spouting and embellishing Manifest Destiny doctrines. If the Mexican Army didn't shoot him first, he could have ridden the great wave of westward expansion for at least thirty more years. Maybe ended up in Colorado.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 01:10PM

I actually got nauseous when I googled "Joseph Smith" to check the date. Glowing pictures, fawning praise, etc.

TSCC was a dishonest business enterprise from day 1, designed to separate people from their money by usurping their free will.

Joseph was no prophet, he was just another fool. And his religion is a fool's folly.

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 01:14PM

Speaking of What Ifs.....

I've always wondered if Lincoln could have beaten Chopin at bowling.

Date: June 27, 2016 02:45PM

What if Marilyn Monroe had wanted to marry me, instead of just sleep with me? That's the one that has me tossing and turning...

Date: June 27, 2016 02:46PM

Only if Lincoln were a vampire.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 02:45PM

I agree, Elder Berry, it was a very positive day for the human race. Pity it didn't happen 30 years earlier...

Tom in Paris

Posted by: saddlebronctapir ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 07:45PM

I usually wait till Friday, but what the hell, it is a great day in history , opening an ale from the lost abbey brewery, "witch's wit" hints of honey and coriander

here is to the carthage grays , the warsaw dragoons and all the fine people in the mob, that day ole joe went out guns blazing...... CHEERS..........................AHHHH, that's good tasting stuff

Date: June 27, 2016 08:40PM

They should make a more accurate movie of the events that didn't spin the sympathy card so hard.

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 10:49PM

It's also my resignation birthday!
Fuck Joseph's Myth!!!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 11:40PM

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.