Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 04:34PM

Does it really matter what you say in a resignation letter?

Honestly... Your stake president may read it, and it doesn't matter how "ah-ha" or "gotcha" it sounds, either way, he's not going to share it with anyone. He's not going to respect what you've been through or correct people when they make petty comments about why you left the church. It seems that all hat matters is to get down to business and make your intent clear and unimpeachable, to formally close the door and demand in the name of the law it never be opened again.

Does anyone hope to accomplish any more than this with a letter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 06:43PM

There's no way to make TBMs understand or respect anyone who leaves. I think the best text is, "I'm resigning from the Mormon Church as of today. Best Regards, Your Name"

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 06:46PM

The purpose of a resignation letter is to inform the church of your resignation. Anything else is extraneous and unnecessary. If you feel better using the resignation letter as a chance to express yourself, go ahead, but don't expect anything to come of it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 07:07PM

My recommendation is to keep it simple and straightforward. The sample letter on this page is perfectly fine:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 07:53PM

I agree with Cheryl... I just said I'm resiging from the church and gave my name and my ward and Bishops name. I got my resignation letter in three weeks.

I don't owe them an explanation , or the time of day.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 01:06PM

Almost all non-paying organizations don't require any notice of quitting. You just walk away, quit paying dues, stop going to meetings etc.

The church just requires a letter just to prove they have control over you.

As far as any explanation or reason on your part in the letter is completely useless.

After thousands of resignation letters, they have heard it all and nothing anyone says now will be new.

Like saucie() said name, ward and Bishops name and the statement "I resign." is all that's needed.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 01:51PM

It is true that all you need do legally is resign, based on the Guinn and Hancock precedents.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to remind them, particularly if they are local authorities, that you know about the legal precedents and you are familiar with the rules for "name removal" in their Handbook of Instruction."

It also doesn't hurt to stipulate that you not be contacted, that you will not change your mind, and if you so desire, that your relatives not be contacted.

Part of the charade of their response, is telling you it's a local ecclesiastical matter, and they need to make you understand what you are giving up. Let them know it's not a local matter, and that you fully understand what you're giving up.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 02:37PM

Simpler is better. A single goal: resign. A simple message: I have resigned.

Anything more could be an excuse for delay. Oh, that point you made, when can we meet, let's talk about it, etc.

The sample letter covers it all.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 27, 2016 11:06PM

Writing my resignation letter made me feel better. I just thought about the off chance that it might be read by someone, somewhere, sometime. If LDS, Inc. keeps and records everything on computer then maybe it would get scanned and put in my file. Probably not, but one never knows with the corporation.

Also, I kept a copy so if anyone ever asked me about my resignation and how I felt about resigning at the time it is all in my letter. I also like to take it out and read it myself just to recall how good it felt to resign. I wrote my letter for me more than for them and I'm glad it got it off my chest even if I'm the only one who ever read it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 01:19AM

I just used the one available on this site. It worked.

RB

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 04:20PM

Richard Nixon's resignation letter is one sentence long. That's all you need to meet the legal requirement.

http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=809e his letter

BTW, it is not LDS Inc that requires a letter. It is the US legal system. Actually, it doesn't have to be a letter, but for the courts to recognize your resignation, you must be able to show the court that you unambiguously notified LDS Inc of your resignation.

That's really the only requirement - you have to tell them you're done, and you're done. If you just walk away, you're a member that walked away. If they then decide to excommunicate or disfellowship you, nothing judicial you can do about it. Once you are a member, until you fire them or they fire you, you are still a member, as far as US courts are concerned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.