Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:08PM

My very first impression is that the models in the photo can't be mormons...their eyes sparkle. Their smiles are genuine. If they are in the cult they're recent converts that haven't had time to absorb enough of the soul killing Kool Aid.

Second impression: the author is headed for trouble.

Third: I agree that mo women hear all this stuff and that it's damaging, but not with the author trying to square her position with mo theology, because her opinion has no support in mo theology. Mo theology is the reason mo women are hearing this b.s., you can't reconcile a feminist standpoint with the cult's beliefs.

Last: I disagree with the, "She's beautiful but I can't see why he is with her." I don't think that's a myth. I've met a LOT of mollies who have nothing to recommend them but their good looks, and that is likely the only reason they have a man. 'Insulting a daughter of God' is a weak indictment next to the previous and very valid gripes.

Edited to fix a dyslexic duplication

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 09:14PM by ptbarnum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 09:14AM

These pictures are out there on online catalogues for people to buy and use for a modest price. the mormon church and any one else who publishes use them all the time. so it could just be one of those.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:10PM

Well, to some of the points, I say it's about time they throw out the chewed gum and such nonsense about chastity. Good on her for pointing out some of the worst offenses about body shaming etc.

However, the last one...premarital sex and so forth....I do not agree that the sex act is some sort of sublime thing only because it is how babies are made. She goes overboard on that, IMO.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:25PM

Well, I read it.

It didn't change my life. ...I was disappointed.

There is a lot confusion in the lives of the true blue saints.

Sex is the most sacred fun you can have, if you're doing it right, but they won't define what doing it right is, other than ya gotz ta be married.

And I was shocked at the notion that women ought not to be slut-shamed! Where did that come from! Women as 2x4s with nail holes in them...! Now those were the days!!

Lots of confusion in sexual mormonism.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:32PM

Meanwhile in young womens, firesides, especially for youth, sunday school, young singles ward, young singles, young womens camp.....

That's not what is being taught. Of course they have to be much more subtle about it these days.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 08:41AM

I think every 'myth' could have had 'stop objectifying women and girls they aren't things. So stop, whether you are a man or another woman, just stop!'

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 04:49PM

I heard a lot of these myths taught at church in young women's.

Posted by: nightwolf983 ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 05:47PM

It's the inside that counts, but only as long as you don't show too much skin!

This is exactly the kind of hypocritical slut-shaming bullshit I'd expect from tscc. They try to sound supportive and empowering to women, but they're only like that so long as you live by their misogynistic standards. Women have worth. As virgins and incubators. If they want control over their own clothes, their own reproductive systems, or their own lives, it's a sin.

They say dating isn't "a test to see how long we can hold out until we are married" but when you tell people they can't have sex without marriage how do you expect them to view it? The church lectures people on developing intimacy and then wonders why they can't do it in a sexless relationship. I hate how they talk about respect like it's impossible to respect someone you're sleeping with. Guess that shows how much they value their marriages.

If they really believe that sex isn't scary, hateful, or disgusting they should start acting like it is. And stop telling people how to run their sex lives.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 06:14PM

Personally, I doubt the author has ever met anyone who looks like the 3 young ladies in the header...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.