Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 07:24PM

This has happened to different degrees to several friends that left the church. One egregious example resulted in a father that only had the opportunity to visit his children a few times over a decade. As this man is a close friend, I have a detailed understanding of what he did for his children.

Not only did the mother make it hard to visit (e.g. moved over 1,000 miles away, refused to return phone calls); the TBM mother continually spread rumors that he was not providing for his children and was not paying child support as ordered by the courts. In an attempt to defend himself he opened his financial records to two close friends. This man was paying what would be considered nearly 100% of his children's financial needs. He also provided additional resources to his children over and above what was legally required. This did not stop this temple recommend holding, church serving, TBM mother from smearing his name at every opportunity.

The visitation issue is very difficult and although it is nice to say that visitation is enforceable, enforcement can turn into expensive and difficult legal battles in many cases. This woman's church leaders worked with her in creating these problems for my friend.

In short, TSCC does not care what damage it causes to families in an attempt to prop up the endless stream of lies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 07:43PM

If true, *this* could be a possible cult lawsuit, dontcha think?

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 07:58PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If true, *this* could be a possible cult lawsuit,
> dontcha think?

He discussed this at length with his lawyers and determined that it would not be worth the cost, additional animosity, and marginal improvements to the situation. Until seeing several similar situations, I did not realize how weak the laws are in terms of ability to enforce divorce decrees.

This man was paying what would amount to a payment on a new Lamborghini every month for years and his wife was griping. I have seen other women get anywhere from $50-150/month when the father decides to pay and virtually nothing happens for months or years. The courts have enough problems with child support payments and visitation is another few rungs down on the ladder.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 07:47PM

If you're Mormon and married, your marriage is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:13PM

The train goes woo woooo

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:54PM

Through the years I have witnessed the cult in marital disputes counsel the spouse who is active to divorce the partner who is not active, who cheated, etc. I am not aware there was any advice to encourage both to get marriage counseling, just to dump the spouse who is not being a 'good' mormon. In some of these cases the cult has given money to help with lawyers, to move, and for living essentials.

I personally think the cult is responsible for breaking up countless marriages that might have had a possibility to succeed with the right amount of education and counseling. But this is what the cult spends its time doing, butting into areas that it needs to stay far away from, instead of doing things that really are a service and helpful people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 09:56PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.