Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 01:53PM

EDIT: Thank you for the responses. I agree with what a few of you stated to just keep it simple at the airport with flowers and a bottle of bubbly. Thanks, again.

Original post:

In a little under a month, one of my adult children will be coming home from almost a year abroad on a Fulbright scholarship. I can't erase the smile from my face with the thought of seeing her and hugging her again, as well as the idea of welcoming her with a bouquet of flowers, and a bottle of Champagne. I only wish the scene could be in Utah.

What other fun things can I do? What would you do at the airport?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 06:10PM by toto.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 02:04PM

1. Ask her what she'd like - who she'd like to see, or what she'd like to do. Perhaps she needs a little time to decompress from the life she's lived for the past year,

or

2. Ask her about her life abroad as well as her experiences and impressions. I'm sure she has a lot of stories to tell,

or both.

Date: June 25, 2016 02:21PM

Thank you.

Yes, fortunately we've discussed those things through Skype conversations as well as Whatsapp texts (not sure if current missionaries have as much access to their family as she's had to us). She's definitely going to decompress when she gets back, and we've made plans around her requests.

I was just wondering if there are other things I could consider doing at the airport.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 02:12PM

That's wonderful. Congratulations to her on her achievement and you for being a supportive parent!

Yeah, if it were in Utah, you could mimic the "Welcome Home Elder" airport ritual. You could have Champagne and a banner that says, "Welcome Home Wiser!" (Of course the Mormon's wouldn't get it.)

Hmmmm. If it were my child, I think I would give her some cash to make sure she can get what she needs to transition home, a fluffy bed (in case she doesn't have her house set up), and out to dinner with family for a few days!

She will be happy to see you too!

Date: June 25, 2016 02:23PM

Yeah, it's the first time in a long time that I wish I could be in Utah to mimic some of that stuff.

Cash sounds good. Definitely planning on it. Thank you.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 02:57PM

All the things you could do are going to pale in comparison to just her seeing your face.

The bouquet of flowers and the bottle of champagne are class. I would keep it simple.

Date: June 25, 2016 06:01PM

Good one. Yes, I'll keep it simple.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 04:31PM

In 'n Out double double on the way home?

Now I'm wondering how one (or two) would go with champagne...

Date: June 25, 2016 06:05PM

Yes, you're right! She's been craving greasy American food. I'll take her to Park Burger or Larkburger right away.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 05:05PM

How lovely that your daughter is returning! Perhaps she would enjoy her favorite meal for supper. When she settles in, perhaps give her some suggestions for things to do as a family in the coming days and weeks -- perhaps a baseball game, a picnic, an outing, or a trip to a local lake or beach.

Date: June 25, 2016 06:07PM

Thank you. Yes, we've already discussed major plans for the weeks following her arrival, and also time to get over jet lag and relax. I'll definitely be making her favorite meals.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.