Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 03:43AM

This article hits just about every aspect of the Church's toxic influence.

Gay couple will wed in Zion National Park.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a45719/gay-mormon-community/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:43AM

Great article; thanks for posting.

For me the takeaway is priorities: our real personal relationships are more important than the church's arbitrary abstractions, whether or not we agree with the latter. (Too bad many couples don't agree, IMO.)

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 11:23AM

Wow, I have such a hard time with people staying with the church when they know their policies are wrong.

What do you really need in order to know that the church is a ruse?

What kind of damage do you do to your children by staying and teaching them that you support this kind of thinking.

Ugh, just feel for the two young men. I hope they have really happy fulfilling lives and have a great family of their own that they can teach greater tolerance.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 11:49AM

Thank you for posting. Esquire. Wow! We're getting very mainstream. :)

The Mormons really screw up the minds of the gay kids so badly with their pernicious indoctrination. I have always believed that for most though the old adage is true, "Love conquers all." And when these tortured gay kids fall in love it can undo the the Mormon Church's sick manipulation in no time at all.

I felt such torturous guilt and despair until I fell in love. It vanished in seconds never to return.

Date: June 25, 2016 12:47PM

I'm really glad to hear that, it gives me hope for others that are in your situation.

It still just infuriates me that their parents hang in when they have to see the harm it does their kids. I just don't get that.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 12:05PM

The point, as I see it, is that TSCC makes you choose between it and your family. Although my son is not gay, he was targeted by a particularly sadistic bishop as being sinful and the dregs of society for having long hair and (god forbid!) tee shirts with rock bands on them. I knew the truth, that my son was a decent soul who had a soft spot for those weaker and more vulnerable than he. He was fiercely protective of the things he valued (all the right things).

This was a catalyst for my exit from TSCC. Leaders were so clearly not inspired in this case. My cognitive dissonance was forced into clarity by them, and forcing me to choose gave me the opportunity to think a new thought, "This church isn't true."

I do believe when stalwart leaders refuse to face facts, even in the face of science, and stick to their dogmatic dribble, they eventually lose, if not from hemorrhage, then by death from a thousand cuts (that they themselves inflict upon members).

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 06:36PM

Good article.

It was encouraging to see the mass resignations flooding the desk of that one SLC area attorney since the Q15 decision last fall. In the first day following decision he received 2,000 resignation requests. Since then he's received 9,000 requests for assistance to resign.

That 11,000 for one attorney just since the decision made news. Think of all the others who didn't use him to resign, who either did it themselves or went through some other service?

Amazing.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 07:48PM

The saddest words in the article

."We love the Church; the Church is our life," says Steve."We love our kids,"

The church is their life.

Date: June 26, 2016 12:12PM

I know, that and the fact that they stayed in the church for their other children.

That is truly unbelievable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.