Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lcray ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 12:44AM

The other day a friend shared a video from Holland, I believe, where he's talking about depression. A few TBM friends shared it actually. They were all praising him for his profound and helpful advice on depression.

Now, to clarify, if you find ANY quote or advice from anyone that helps you with a struggle you're having, good for you. That's wonderful. But what I've noticed so strongly amongst my still-LDS friends is that they tend to only follow advice or teachings from LDS authorities. They never seem to speak about any other profound teachings or philosophies that are out there from so many other people (the Dalai Lama, Buddha, whoever). I realized how annoying I find this.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if all of these "inspirational" quotes from LDS authorities were just well written PR jobs given through an "inspired voice". Really, these quotes are not even that intelligent or anything new, and they almost always sound like a cheesy line.

Anyone notice this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 02:26AM

I used to think like that. The general authorities had all the answers that mattered. Now I see them for what they are. Closed minded hacks whose opinions carry no weight.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 01:53PM

Perhaps the descriptive words could be Sanctimonious, Hypocritical, and Bigot.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 05:48PM

What could be offensive about sanctimonious, hypocritical, and bigoted hacks leading a multi-million member religion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 05:49PM by bradley.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 06:22AM

I've heard numerous tbms say if the 12 haven't said it, written it, I don't have time to read it, I'm just too busy. It's no different than the baptists saying if it's not in the King James then I won't read it.

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 08:15AM

Yes I have noticed this! I so often will share a great book I've read, or a thought I've heard only to get a blank stare and a subject change. If it wasn't from LDS approved material then the tbm community isn't interested. It infuriates me at times. It makes a deep two way conversation shut right down. Also, I have noticed that some of these "profound apostle" quotes tend to have a new aged twist on them, while trying to look as though it was the one true church that came up with the idea.
Apparently the members aren't reading other sources, but the big boys at the COB are! They have to get their material somewhere!!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:28AM

LDS has a very successful product. But consuming that product is largely a zero-sum game: to make room for Mormon ideas we have to cut back on non-Mormon ideas. That's a key component of LDS marketing strategy.

So we get pictures of Jesus as a tall handsome white guy with a neatly trimmed beard instead what he probably looked like, which was a shorter dude with a big nose and puke-colored skin.

(One of these days I'm going to print out my collection of "Jesus Christ" portraits and tape them up on the wall. I have a couple dozen pictures of all kinds of folks from all over the world--all races, ages, men and women. Below each is the word "Jesucristo." Then I'll invite my TBM family over for supper and ask them each to pick a favorite.)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 09:58AM

haven't seen any worthy advice from either.

Posted by: maizyday2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 12:03PM

Hmmm....some of the best advice I've ever read comes from the Buddha.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 10:05AM

Listen to that Infants on Thrones "Chicken Soup for the Soul or an Apostle" episode.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 10:12AM

'The glory of God is intelligence.' That requires critical thinking. Of necessity it includes empathy - walking in someone else's moccosans. The quality of living authentically must be there, too. Somehow, don't you think?

Didn't someone write somewhere that charity is the pure love of Christ? I think I remember reading that. The charity it speaks of is not just giving physical support to those in need. It's also part of giving spiritual and emotional support to others - empathy.

Without a doubt, no mormon I've ever met understands that. They are fearful of life and those who are different. They are not Christians. They are prisoners of self rightousness and intolerance.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 11:48AM

Lcray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone notice this?

That their wisdom is less than useful? Yes. They are honest liars, righteous conmen, and useful falsehood promoters.

They may not be as rich or powerful as they would like to be but they get to be considered wise men in an age of increasing skepticism.

They get an all expense paid mental vacation touring the world in minor rock stardom and can dispense all sorts of pablum to eager ears everywhere they go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 11:49AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: maizyday2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 12:16PM

Not long after moving to Utah, and still not knowing all that much about Mormonism, I was spending some time with a gay (still LDS at the time, now married to his partner) friend. I picked up a book about depression that he had laying around his house that was written by some LDS poobah or another. Having struggled with some depression myself, I was interested to see what it said. I remember thinking how shallow and trite the advice seemed. The book was a complete waste....and a turn-off. Whoever wrote it clearly knew NOTHING about depression.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 12:12PM

That is how Mormonism works. People running a religion that know nothing about religion.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 12:39PM

Stolen words/advice, wasted time-attention, useless "wisdom"/commands.

Words aren't that useful when twisted, perverted and fudged, as they are, to dupe the sleepy, delusional and sleepless.

If the Mormons had anything useful to spout about in the 1830s, people would have heard about it by now. The purpose of TLDSC is to lead the hearts and minds of the people astray, and dilute and discredit anything of great value in life and replace it with retorical nonsense, Satan's desires and otherwise very impractical commands and harmful dogma!

M@t

Posted by: m ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 05:57PM

Shouldn't Olive oil on your head ( near your brain) and hands laid on your head ( near your brain) and words spoken with p-hood authority heard ( by your brain) ....

cure depression in the Mormon world?

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 12:10PM

When you are commanded to be perfect, which is not possible, there is no room for self tolerance or true love of others.

I changed the scripture/advice to 'be ye therefore, whole.' Trim of the edges when I need to. Polish the rough spots when I find them. Laugh at myself sometimes. Once in while, cry. It's all good! Love is all that truly matters. It is that simple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.