Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 07:12PM

What a puff piece of nonsense.

https://www.lds.org/blog/to-my-friends-going-through-a-quarter-life-crisis

She posits young adulthood as "wilderness days." What a crock.

"Remember that the wilderness days are part of the journey, and God is at the helm. Young adulthood is a transitory stage when it comes to relationships, career, physical location, and other aspects of life, and the future seems uncertain and the ground unsteady."

"But every day in the wilderness was another step toward the promised land, and I can have confidence on my wilderness days that the Lord is leading me, like Nephi, to “a far better land of promise” (Alma 37:45)."

What then is her "promised land"??? Knocked up teaching primary as her weekly fulfillment in life?

Is getting out on your own and owning your own life scary? It can be. Is growing up hard to do - yes, but "wilderness days"??? Only in Mormonism would this time period be a wilderness filled with scary beasts and a sense of being lost.

Growing up is exciting and hard but not a "wilderness." It is just life. It is deciding what to do with it as an adult instead of being guided through it like a child.

Actually many young adults like this "wilderness" so much they that have a hard time leaving their forest homes and start homesteading by cutting down all the trees to build a life out of them.

Seriously, I have a child leaving the nest. To talk to them about their exciting life just starting as a wilderness which requires them to cling to their Mormonism in order to make it to Mormonism's promised fantasy lands sounds criminal to me.

They get to explore the world, wildernesses and all. No need to feed them promises of land to grow more Mormons upon. I don't need a fictitious murderer like Nephi to help them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: friendlyeconomist ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 10:07PM

The interesting thing about this is that this "wilderness" is crossed by most young adults unconsciously. None of my friends from growing up ever shared with me that their 20's were a decade of decision and "wilderness."

The reality is that, while this time is exciting, most young adults choose the right thing for themselves unconsciously. They get jobs, degrees, fall in love, adventure a little, move out, discover their true values, perhaps start a family, ...all without thinking, "this is an amazing part of my life! I really need to be cautious about this!" And perhaps more importantly, often without religion or prayer to hang on to.

They just do it, like billions who have come before them. It's all intuition. Not a teary soap opera. At least here in the real world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 10:08PM by friendlyeconomist.

Date: June 25, 2016 11:02AM

friendlyeconomist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not a teary soap
> opera. At least here in the real world.

Good way to put it. In Mormonism adult's are children and their children see adulthood as a wilderness to navigate with the help of a sky daddy to a promised land of yum yums and good sweets in their own tree of life.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 05:06PM

Candyland for adults.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 10:19PM

Apparently TBMs can't accept the possibility that their kids could ever entertain the notion of "...that's not how I'm going to do it!" Which simply have to be the most common conclusions kids make as they experience being kids.

I don't putt the ball like my dad did! He was way too handsy~!

Date: June 25, 2016 11:00AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I don't putt the ball like my dad did! He was way
> too handsy~!

My father was too handsy with his adopted daughters but I'm sure he still thinks he's getting into The Celestial Kingdom. They were the same ages as many of Joseph's girls blessed by his laying on of hands.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 05:09PM

working, earning money, owning a car, traveling, SHOPPING. I loved my job, but they told me I had to be married and I really wanted to be married.

And at about 25, my wilderness began and it lasted a really, really, really long time. I'm sure glad I'm through that. I'll be 59 this week. It is so much better on this side of the wilderness that the lds church brought into my life.

Date: June 26, 2016 11:53AM

totally.

The wilderness of parenting is really a wilderness. Just growing up isn't. Humans are good at navigating life if they aren't forced into a lifetime of childhood. Puppies for Jesus.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 05:33PM

Mormonism and other conservative religions are for scared people, people who value (supposed) safety and certainty rather than the varied wonders of life. So not having an officially approved destination and an iron rod to hold onto seems like a wilderness fraught with peril to them.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 12:05PM

Chronic chickenshitism. No wonder they won't read the essays.

Date: June 26, 2016 12:15PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> No wonder they won't read
> the essays.

Yes, because they would actually have to think about the wild history their bubbleland came from and that would be too hard. Better to see the wilderness of maturing self than the wild west of the early days.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.