Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:00PM

In another thread, MIB was talking about the pressure for young men in the LDS church to go on missions. I posted about my Family’s horrible reaction to my deciding to go into military service in that thread. MIB made a follow up comment that it’s important for people to grasp just how tough it is on young men, especially those that just not to go. I agree.

So I thought I’d share my story so that perhaps those lurking will appreciate just what kind of stuff goes down when a young man chooses not to go on a mission.

For me, Lost, my misery started when I was 19 years old. I was held back a year and so I was a Senior in HS. All during that year, I constantly heard about the need to go on a mission. There was some concern about what Lost would do, because basically I was the ward loser. I had only achieved Star Scout Rank in Scouting, I had never been a leader or in any presidency. I was never much of a success at Scripture Chases and was just plain average. To be honest, I was a pretty ugly boy/man-child.

So there was a lot of gossip, which my mother in particular did nothing to help. Just to illustrate how messed up she was, she thought nothing of bearing her testimony telling the ward that her son had a problem with bed wetting and that through prayers and the guidance of the holy spirit, this was resolved. Actually it was resolved when I outgrew it, but hey since when has truth ever mattered when it come to faith (self) promoting stories? It was, however; grossly embarrassing and never forgotten: I was the guy who had pissed his bed. Gee, thanks Mom.

The bishop had droned on and on as had my parents about how I must go on a mission. I didn’t want to go to college; I needed a break from school. What I really wanted to do was travel the country and see things, but that was impossible. I didn’t have any money and zero support. I was going to go on a mission, except that nobody asked my opinion. Or more accurately, didn't listen to it because it wasn't what they wanted to hear.

I had two fantastic uncles on my father’s side who were both military men. My one uncle, who I will call John (not his real name) was a SEAL. He was the one who I confided in, who taught me how to defend myself and basically listened to me. I have a lot of wonderful memories fishing, hunting for gators and just having a grand time with him. I'll always consider John my surrogate father, because he ACTED more like a father than my real father did. John did not believe the LDS church. He told me that he believed in God, but that ultimately once on earth, its up to us. God doesn’t interfere and you’re on your own. Later in life, I now really respect that opinion. John told me great stories about his military service and I wanted to serve as well. I knew I’d never be a SEAL, but I liked the idea of getting into physical shape, having a job and seeing the world. So I decided I wanted to go into the military. I really looked into it, so this wasn't an off the cuff decision.

All holy hell broke loose. My family unloaded all manner of crap on me once I told them my decision. All kinds of threats, punishments, and tons and tons of verbal abuse we heaped upon me. If there was a name to describe me, I was called it. Interviews and whispers at church. I was blacklisted. I was shunned. I wasn’t allowed to date any good LDS girls. My girlfriend at the time broke up with me, because she would only date someone who, “ Wanted to marry in the temple.” I wanted this too, but since I wasn’t going on a mission, it wasn’t likely to happen. All manner of nasty whispers and viciousness occurred. Vandalism, etc. Unpleasant. You would have thought I was a murderer.

During this mess, I became a man. I discovered deep inside myself steel that I didn’t know I had. I was going to decide what I would do with life and that was final. My uncles were both away serving, but their survival lessons really got me through it all. I simply hunkered down and weathered the storm. Despite all efforts, my family and ward couldn't break me or change my mind. They couldn't buy me off either. The bishop even offered to make me 1st Assistant to Priest's Quorum if I would just commit to going on a mission. Serious stuff for a 19 year old to deal with. But I knew what they were up to and wasn't buying it.

In desperation, my parents turned toward the Bishop and Stake President claiming I had an evil spirit. I repeated over and over that I felt a mission wasn’t right for me. I wanted to serve my country. "What did I know?," the adults would say? "I’m only 19 and a fool." The military was full of drug addicts and sex maniacs. I was throwing my life away. Hmm.

How could honorable service to my country be throwing my life away? I was getting experience in a trade. I was seeing the world while getting paid. At the end of my service if I didn’t stay in, there would be money for college. It was perfect for me, I felt. No, you fool—only a mission will do. But I would have none of it. Once my military service was over, if I wanted to go on a mission then, I could do so. At least I would have the money to pay my own way. Not acceptable. You will go at 19 on a mission, period. Mission calls are not granted to young men over 20.

Finally, all the screaming and shouting culiminated with a command appearance before a GA. I won’t give his name for privacy reasons, but he was well known. He was pompous, arrogant, bombastic and a complete jerk. He kept calling me “son” trying these little power head games. I calmly and rationally told him that I felt going into military service was the proper thing in my life. He disagreed. I was disobeying the prophet. God would punish me if I went into military service. There would be a mighty battle (after all-Jesus second coming is right around the corner) and I would die horribly. He went on and on about the wounds I would suffer and how someone would castrate me! Un-frickin-believable. However, if I went on a mission I would be transformed. I would become handsome. (Gee Thanks, dude) I would baptize many many people. I would return from my mission and marry a beautiful daughter of Zion. She would be so beautiful that the heavens would weep. (I kid you not, he said this) He wanted to give me a speshul blessing right on the spot. I told him, “No-Thank you.” I appreciated what he had to say, but I had made my decision and I was sticking to it because it was the right thing for me.

My family went ballistic aftwards as did my ward. I was shunned. My parents refused to talk to me. My sisters ignored me. My maternal grandparents ignored me. Gossip at church was flung high and low. School became hell. But they had seriously underestimated me. I was going to serve my country.

Many more visits and interviews occurred. Many sad faces and head shakes. Finally my father threatened that if I went into the military that I would be unwelcome to return home.
Fine, I said. “That is your choice.” No, he said. “It is your choice for choosing this wicked path and not following the advice or your parents and elders. “ “Your mother and I have failed, but sometimes there is nothing good parents can do.” Then he hit me and left. As I stood there bleeding I knew that I would never return to my parent’s house again once I left.

Is this a Forever Family? Not a chance.

Finally, it was my day to report for service. I was excited and nervous. Basic training was reported to be tough and my uncles had prepared me with pretty much what to expect. I had been working out and running a lot, so I felt prepared. Then came the last little hitch from my parents. They refused to drive me to the induction center. I had to walk the 30 miles on foot. I didn’t have cab money. So I started walking and fortunately a good Samaritan gave me a lift so I made it on time.

Basic training was tough, but considering what my home life had been, it was a breeze. Then came mail call about 10 days into basic training. It was a letter from my family. I was certain they had finally accepted that I was serious about serving my country. Yep--Unfortunately for me.

They had held a family court of love in absentia.

I had been excommunicated from my family.

Wow. My Family had all signed the letter (those that could sign it) and I cried.

Even though life had been miserable growing up a mormon-they were family and I loved them. Now they were gone. I never saw them again to this day. (I saw them, but they acted as if I was dead)

My squad mates in Basic Training were terrific and I had a lot of support.

A Forever Family???

Only if you do exactly what you are told: Pay, Pray and Obey.

Every young man MUST go on a mission.
Otherwise, you may lose your family.

Brought to you by your friends:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:09PM

That is a ghastly story. Good for you for standing your ground, though. I bet you found a new family in the military. I am an Army wife and an Air Force brat, so I've been around military folks my whole life. Some of the best people I've ever known have been in the military.

My husband's daughters have disowned him. It hurt him like hell, but his life is so much better now, even without them in it. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story and for serving our country.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:11PM

That is evil beyond belief.

Also they BSed you. I met several missionaries who came out on missions in their mid to late 20s. One who had served in the army, leaving as a sergeant. In fact he wore his military jacket (with his stripes removed) for several weeks on his mission until he could afford a suit.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:12PM

This is just incredible. Please post it on the bio board so it gets saved.

TBMs will brush off the pressure and say it is just certain families, as in any religion. This story shows the depth and breadth of the involvement of the entire church community.

The best revenge is living a good life. I hope your life goes well, both for you and to show them how very wrong they are.

It makes me weep to think of parents throwing away such a fine son. Thank your for your service.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:30PM

I wonder if Jimmer got the same treatment from his family when he announced he wouldn't be going on a mission? Oh no, he's a BYU basketball star, so propbably not. Well, as long as he keeps bringing TSCC positive publicity.

Who exactly was folloing Satan's plan?

Posted by: JohnDrake ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:41PM

Lost,

I am nearing my 24th year of service to our nation, and I've been an exmormon for almost nine years now. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did. This, "Family Forever" institution is the furthest from.

Like knotheadusc said, my daughters, (who remain in the Morg) disowned me nearly five years ago--most likely because they figure I'll not be part of their family in the afterlife. It defies all reason, doesn't it? Your own family treating you this way. That they would do this for love of an organization that lives to tell them what to think and do. It's criminal.

For a short while after I left the "collective" I was certain my life would be perfect hell. I bought all the doom and gloom stories the Church doles our hook, line and sinker. But you've probably figured out by now (as I did) that that was all bullshit. My life got better. Exponentially better.

But now you, like me, are a Warrior, and you know our Ethic. Your family may have turned their back on you, but we will never leave you.

Good luck with your career, and remember to keep your head on a swivel.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 05:13PM

I'm speechless...

Each one of those people is so f@cked in the head. You are a strong person...WOW. I admire your courage and integrity.

Mormons are the "true" church of Christ? In the words of my lord raptor, "assclownery".

I'm normally one of the least judgmental people I know, but I feel like hitting them with a shovel. You deserve a loving family, and no matter what form it takes, you will have the best chance finding it far from the shitty evil church. I hope you found a good family in your fellow soldiers...

My heart hurts just reading that...

Damn

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 05:17PM

Well, I got very upset when I read 'thedrive's' story about his mother's upcoming "court of love" and harassment. This post far, far exceeds it.
*sigh*
Oh "Lost".....how much has been lost indeed. Thank you for sharing this today. I've been through a church "court of love" and that was bad enough, but this.....I just can't find the words. How wonderful that you had your uncle to be the parent and father you didn't have. My father served his country honorably in the US Navy during WW II. I honor his service and commitment and have taught my two boys to honor the memory of their (Catholic) grandfather as well. To go to such INCREDIBLE lengths to demonize, vilify, and reject someone who was willing to put his life on the line for their own miserable, sorry asses........God, I just can't find the words. You are certainly a hero to me, "Lost"!! Along with so many others on these boards. I am seriously getting choked up and crying here because it's hitting me. All these horror stories, all these ugly, UGLY things coming out of the darkness and shining on the internet where it all can be seen. I hope to God that we are slowly, perhaps, but steadily reaching a point of critical mass for that ugly, ugly, UGLY evil cult. The negative PR and the uglines of so many of its most hardcore, brainwashed pracitioners........may they hasten the exodus and reap the full measure of their reward, that's all I can add.
Again, kudos to you, Lost, for finding your way out of the darkness and somehow having the courage, at that young age, to "choose the right" and stand for something better.
Just, wow.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:39PM

Lost, my heart ached for you while reading this story. Cult, cult, nasty, evil, mean spirited, God-forsaken CULT.

You are such a brave man. Many would have folded given that level of pressure from your family and your church community. When that GA prophisized that you would be castrated in battle, it reminded me of how Brigham Young did just that when a young man defied him by refusing to give Brigham his intended bride. I see things haven't changed all that much. :-/

I agree with the others who have urged you to put this on the Bio Board. It is a powerful story. It could help many others, particularly investigators who need to understand just why this isn't a "family friendly" church. It could also help young men, who like you, want to forge their own honorable path in life.

Thank you SO MUCH for your service to our country. If not for people like you, we would not be enjoying our freedom, peace, and security. It is a shame that the small minded people in your family and church could not appreciate the invaluable service that you were providing to them and to us all.

Many members of my immediate and extended family have served in our armed forces. Two of them died defending the USA.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 05:21PM

Lost, as mom of an Army vet, I am SO proud of you. And I am SO thankful for your uncles who taught you that you CAN stand up for what you believe is right for you. I pray your family comes to its senses, but in the Morg, that's not likely to happen. Still, we can hope. Thank God you have brothers in service! Thank you for yours.

Posted by: Deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 05:26PM

Thankyou for your service to our country.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:35PM

Deco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thankyou for your service to our country.

Agreed. Thank you. (Navy vet)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 05:27PM

This is truly the no-mission story from h*ll.

I wonder if you would even be alive today if it weren't for your uncle “John.” I admire his example and commend you for somehow recognizing that HIS was the healthy example worth following!

Please post this story on the bio board, “Lost.” In addition, this story should be published somewhere!!! And/or, have someone film you and put it on YouTube. People should be informed about what "family" REALLY means in the Mormon church!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:10PM

WiserWomanNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is truly the no-mission story from h*ll.
>
> I wonder if you would even be alive today if it
> weren't for your uncle “John.” I admire his
> example and commend you for somehow recognizing
> that HIS was the healthy example worth following!
>
> Please post this story on the bio board,
> “Lost.” In addition, this story should be
> published somewhere!!! And/or, have someone film
> you and put it on YouTube. People should be
> informed about what "family" REALLY means in the
> Mormon church!

This would make a great film. All we need is a film maker (Timothy!!!!) a scriptwriter and some publicists and some people to fund the production.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:27PM

...particularly since it is a true story, In any case, this story merits a wide audience.

"Lost"'s story also demonstrates how "voluntary" Mormon missions actually are, as well as what "family" really means in the Mormon church.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:18PM

indeed it is!! even though you have chosen not to be a S.E.A.L.....i think you may have gotten thru the BUDS school!! with tenacity such as yours!!! WOW i am from an adopted family and i feel sometime closer than blood-tied families!! what a church for the family!! it about time huh???!!! good for you man!! so what a-school did ya chose???

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:34PM

Lost - I can't believe your family treated you like that. Your conviction to do what is right is so admirable that anyone should count themselves lucky to have you for a son. In fact, I hope my teenager turns out to be just like you - committed to what is right for him. You sound like a wonderful man. I'm glad your talents went to the service of our country instead of lining the pockets of Mormonism.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:39PM

But this one takes the cake for family cruelty.

I also believe it belongs in the bios. If you prefer, you could save this gem of writing and add it to your full bio since it essentially describes your exit (your forced exit). Or it could stand as an exit story on its own. Your choice.

At once this story makes me livid at the Church, but it also makes me happy for you. Military service is actual service. That's an honor I cannot put an a resume that I wish I could. Yeah I could put my mission in its place, but I'd rather not have people go WTF? when they see it.

Also this brings up a logistic question from me though I believe every word of your story. You can't (according to the current C.H.I.), be exed just for not serving a mission. How did your family manage to get you exed? They would have had to have sworn to having witnessed you commit an "ex-able" sin. That or you had to have come out and outright say you didn't believe the Church is true. I'm not accusing you of actually doing anything or questioning the validity of your story. I'm merely curious what devious steps your family must have taken to get you exed.

That said, I salute you for your service and envy you for the experience you have to serve over the one I had. At least you can tell your service story with pride.

Posted by: zarahemwhat ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:59PM

Please post this to the bio-board.. I was so shocked and saddened by your story. It just screams CULT.

Thank you for your service!!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:41PM

And that's all that matters. Family is more than just blood. You can make your own family.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:59PM

Lost, thank you for sharing this. More stories like yours need to be told so people will finally realize what a dangerous, evil institution the Morg can be.

Have you tried to reach out to any of your siblings? Sometimes kids go along with what their parents want, even though it's not what they want. I don't know how long it's been since this happened, but I wouldn't give up on your sibs just yet. Your parents...well, they simply don't deserve you.

Thank you so much for your service to our country. You are a brave man in so many ways.

Date: May 01, 2011 08:00PM

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. They mean a lot.

I have a lot of people to respond to, so please bear with me.

@WinksWinks/Men in Black

"Excommunicated from family" = Disowned. Yes & No.

Yes. I was disowned, but that's just the tip of the Iceberg.
No. I was not excommunicated from the LDS church.

So what do I mean. I will explain because my family went to a special place on this one. They chose to hold a mock court of love in absentia. Just the family itself. My father headed the court of love (like a SP) and my mom and siblings (serving as HCs) voted. My father made the final decision like an SP would. The voting apparently was unanimous (they included that wonderful fact in the letter) and that decision was to excommunicate me from the family because I chose not to go on a mission. I had disgraced the family and I wasn't part of the family anymore. The letter listed the things I could do in order to *repent* and once again accepted into the family. This was similar to the pentience one must go through when disfellowshipped. Is this not a messed up letter to recieve? All the worst during basic training when one is homesick, etc. All because I wanted to serve in the military & not a mission.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, my family provided me with a list of several things I could do to be once again allowed into the family: 1) Immediately leave the Military, 2) Immediately be interviewed by the Bishop for the purpose of going on a mission, 3) submit papers for going on a mission, 4) Bear my testimony in fast sunday asking forgiveness for chosing military service over a mission that the prophet commander all boys to go on, 5) Volunteer to speak to youth in our ward about the necessity of all boys to serve missions.

@Men in Black.

You might think this is my exit story from the LDS church. It is not. This is Part 1. I foolishly thought that I lived with messed up parents and in a messed up ward, therefore the rest of the LDS church wasn't this bad. My uncle "John" warned me not to judge an entire church on the actions of a few. That was good advice, unfortunately in this case, the whole church is a mess. So Lost's final exit from the church was Part 2. I, by some miracle, managed to leave with my wife (a BYU grad no less) and my entire family intact in 2000. We are happy and doing well, but the LDS church has left a ton of scars.

@John Drake & Knothead.

Thank you both. You certainly understand the pain. Some of the best people in the world are military service men & women. Thank Heavens. The nation is in great hands.

@Bignevermo

I was a Med Lab Tech. I knew there was no way I could be a SEAL. I didn't have the physical stamina for it. Those guys are purely incredible. I'm glad they represent the USA!
HooYah.
As y'all might imagine, this was a devastating letter to recieve, but my incredible buddies at Basic were super cool. They were some pissed off at my family, though. I was invited to go home with no less than a dozen guys after Basic & Tech School-everyone was just awesome. I still after 30 years have contact with these great people. They really got me through a tough situation.

Again, thanks everyone. Please keep posting-I love reading your comments.

Date: May 01, 2011 08:16PM

@DebbiePA

I've tried to contact my siblings, but all expect one sister have completely ignored me as if I am dead. That one sister told me that she can never speak to me because she will get exed from the family like I did for not obeying the final decision of the family council. This is a grown woman for heaven sake, so uggghhh. I hope those lurking get a feeling for just how much is at stake in the LDS church when you walk away. My story might be extreme, but others are nearly as bad.

I did recieve a follow up letter from the family a couple of years later when I was on duty in the Pacific. It was a "final" letter telling me that the excommunication was "permanent" and that there was no possibility of redemption.
My family had washed their hands of me. That probably came about because of an article in the local newspaper that had just came out about me recieving an award and promotion. My family referenced the article and noted that I wasn't making any effort to do the things they listed I had to do to repent.
I was wicked, sinful, not following the prophet and a disgrace.
It's always nice to hear from the family, isn't it?

What's really sad is that my kids don't know their Grandparents or their Aunts/Uncles or cousins. I frankly consider it a blessing. You can't be hurt by those you don't talk to.

Amazing what the church's influence can do.

This is one of the reasons I am telling this story.

The LDS Church is NOT about Forever Families.

It's about Control and Money. Abuse and Power.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:36PM

but your "family" is beyond totally whacked out!

You are totally better off without these so-called "people" in your life.

And THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! (Navy veteran, 1979-84)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:12PM

OMG Lost - I was literally holding my breath on pins and needles reading this. I kept willing you strength not to buckle and wondering what else could they do to you? AND THEN THERE WAS MORE!

I am so pleased that underneath the ward "loser" there was a man of steel who would not have his life choices manipulated away from him. You saw that's what they were trying to do! It reminds me of the Bible story of Satan tempting Jesus. "I'll give you the city laid out before us if you will worship me...."

I see these namby-pamby LDS films and here is a riveting true coming of age story that would be a must-see in AMerica.

Very proud of you,

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:23PM

Of course you've figured that out by now.

What a pathetic, sad bunch of people. Absolutely incredible.

Your task now is to create an intentional family.

Something to think about - eventually you will likely marry and have children - grandchildren to your parents. The power may shift a bit and you may be faced with 'forgiveness.' Just a thought - you have some time to think about what you will do then.

Best of luck.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:33PM

Lost. This doesn't happen to everyone but all get it to a certain degree. My question is this. Would you be willing to do an "I am an ex-mormon" video. Your story really does need to be told. I think that would be a great way to show other families that this is not how to treat family and that it was the religion itself that was the primary cause.

And for Don Bagley. I hope you were sitting down for Lost's story. Stories like this must be a real bitch for you to read. Hang in there buddy.

You too Lost. You are not alone.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:51PM

It's a heartbreaker to see a parent hold their children as so much less than the status as a mom of a missionary. Surely, getting "attaboys" at church should never be as important as a childs happiness and success.

Good for you for standing your ground. I'm sorry that you lost so much, but our Armed Forces gained so much more to have a person of such principle and integrity wearing the uniform. I salute you.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:56PM

Damn and I thought my family reacted to me not going on a mission in a shitty way. What a disgusting way to treat a family member.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:17PM

Posted by: rogue ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:18PM

Hey there, Lost. I was impressed with your tenacity. I went into the military through the ROTC program and really found my place there made it my career. The people I met, both enlisted and officers were some of the greatest folks I have ever known. Have you ever considered making the military a career? It sounds to me that, with your dedication and drive, you could certainly do well in that capacity.

In any event, I wish you my very best in your future life. All I can say, is that if you decide to exit the military, they will have lost a REAL MAN!!

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:40PM

I am in awe of your strength and commitment to doing what you needed to do for you.

Thank you for sharing your story and thank you for your service.

I can't help but wonder what your family think of their present Prophet who joined the military and did not go on a mission.

"In 1945, at age 17, Monson joined the United States Naval Reserve and anticipated participating in World War II in the Pacific theater.[1] He was sent to San Diego, California but was not moved overseas before the end of the war. His tour of duty lasted six months beyond the end of the war, and after it was completed he returned to the University of Utah. Monson graduated cum laude in 1948 with a bachelor's degree in business management.[6] Monson did not serve a full-time mission as a youth. At age 21, on October 7, 1948, he married Frances Beverly Johnson in the Salt Lake Temple.[7] The couple eventually had three children: Thomas Lee, Ann Frances, and Clark Spencer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_S._Monson

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:41PM

Unbelievable. Guess I'm lucky I came from a ward and family (and a time, I guess) that didn't take going on a mission all that seriously.

Serving in the military is every bit as honorable if not more honorable than a mission. Your family must love you (I'm not being sarcastic). Are they just so overwhelmed by the mission thing they aren't thinking clearly?

This goes way beyond anything I've ever heard before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 10:04PM by verdacht.

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:14PM

Horribile story, I have a few questions...

1. Did the ward/stake leadership know your family had a mock court on you? Seems like your father should be excommunicated for his hateful actions while purporting to have the "gospel of love".

2. Since about 1/2 or LDS young men don't go on missions, I find your story of the treatment from your ward curious? Weren't there others of your age not going either?

3. Is your family mentally insane? The treatment of you is so obviously hateful not to mention you did something very honorable instead. In my ward, they would print the addresses of both serving missionaries and serving military personal so we could write them if we wanted to....

BTW: I have always regretted NOT serving in the military and instead going on a mission, so good for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 10:22PM by regularguy.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:21PM

I'll bet your are touching hundreds of lives...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:24PM

My Scottish family's motto is "Thole and think on," or in other words, "tough it out and get on with things." Looks like you don't need a family motto--you done did it. You may live to see a day in which your parents beg to see their grand kids.

Incidentally, your experience should be entered into a collage of Mormonia for a sort of documentary, like Great Moments in Mormonism. You mentioned long ago that you had been "excommunicated" from your family, but I had forgotten who it was. Thanks for re-stating that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.