Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:28PM

She is only a fictional animated character...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 09:49PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:48PM

From Frozen?

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:51PM

Since when?

Date: May 30, 2016 10:11PM

Well there is one paranoid person's opinion of it. I wouldn't say it was the Mormonism view on it.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:33AM

Wow, check out the comments. She gets absolutely hammered!
'Crazy hateful bitch' was about the kindest one I read.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:15PM

My favorite comment after her post:
"Wow! I can't wait for your analysis of the Lego Movie!"

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:07PM

Strong independent women, like my wife...bad influence on righteous Mormons.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 05:22PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: flower ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:13PM

I had no idea that TBMs might not like the movie, so I searched "Mormons Frozen Elsa"

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-26759342

And the "lesbian" lyrics:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/disneys-frozen-let-it-go-lyrics-idina-menzel.html

The plot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_(2013_film)

Just.wow. Maybe I never knew Bambi was really gay.

Date: May 30, 2016 10:18PM

Inter-species too. There were rumors about him and Thumper.

Posted by: flower ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:07AM

It must have been while I was hibernatin'.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:19PM

Some cranks from various hyperevangelical corners slammed Frozen after it came out for promoting lesbian themes because Elsa and sister didn't need men to rescue them and the sister's relationship with the reindeer bro that helped her out was merely casual, not happily ever after.

The idea is, I guess, if Disney promotes anything other than 1950s era ideas of gender stereotypes then they're advancing that scary old "gay agenda" boogeyman. I'm sure many concerned TBM parents banished Elsa and friends from their little girls' lives for fear of contaminating their precious little breeders with Lesbian Levels of Penis Independence. My überTBM SIL has young girls in the Disney target demographic as well as a lifelong affection for *cough obsession with cough* all things Disney. I mean this woman goes to D-land 2-3 times per year, even living in AZ. She has 4 girls and 2 boys and freaking EVERYTHING in the house is D-themed, down to Mickey shaped soaps in the bathroom.

There was a week when my other TBM SILs were having an ardent Facebook discussion about the great Elsa Gayness Problem and how to get their little princesses to Let It Go, but D-loving SIL chose her Disney over her cult and took the moral high ground with her other SILs saying if Disney says it's time to be more inclusive than we should ALL embrace Elsa, even if she was one of THOSE women.

She got a strict talking to by MIL. This is why I stay on Facebook, it's endlessly entertaining to watch momos struggle with cult and culture.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:23PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:40AM

/big horn honk

I don't do Facebook myself; I spend too much time on-line as it is, but you're welcome to pass on a little message to Mormons I posted here years ago (I pilfered it from the Hinkster, of course, since he acknowledged he wasn't sure the church "taught" it any longer).

>As you are; we once were...

Give 'em heck... :)

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:08PM

LOL I will probably actually do that, I can't resist the occasional attempt at outreach salted with my usual trollish tendencies towards them.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:30AM

She rebels! And her dress isn't Mormon enough.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:33AM

Most Mormons I know love Frozen. I have never seen it, but I have not met a Saint who has spoken evil of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 12:42AM by tensolator.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:36AM

Hmmmm, I was wondering why my ultra TBM dil made a BIG deal out of making sure we didn't give the granddaughters anything that had to do with being a princess, and especially the movie Frozen.

She's been hyper adamant about this. I figured it was just another mormon crazy thing going on. You know, NO ice blue dresses or sparkles for the little girls.

Is the crazy ever going to end?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 01:29AM

I bought a copy and invited them to my house. We made popcorn and watched the movie. I thought it was cute; I had never seen that kind of animation before (pretty impressive) and was delighted when the girls burst into song and sang along with the songs in the film.

We all had a great time, and I didn't get any "woo" feelings about hidden agendas. . .

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:00AM

It's a very liberating song. The lyrics and the catchy beat reflect the determination of the young princess to be free.

(I noticed that two of the people involved in creating the Broadway version of "BoM" were also involved in "Frozen:" lyricist Robert Lopez and actor Josh Gad.)

My older granddaughter has a problem with ADD - she has real difficulty paying attention in school. I have it, and her father has it. So I can sympathize. All three of us can laser-focus if we are interested in something, and if we are not interested, we are masterful at tuning it out, even if it is something important.

Apparently, Granddaughter's first Kgtn teacher (she had to repeat it) was "mean" and critical. If Ali gave an incorrect answer, the teacher made fun of her and belittled her, so she became afraid to say anything at school. She would try to hide and avoid going to school, or simply shrug and say "I don't know," even if she was pretty sure that she DID know. She was too afraid of criticism to even try.

Now, she says she replays the lyrics of "Let it Go" in her mind, and says what she is thinking. It might be wrong, but she can always explain how she came to that conclusion. Her teacher this year says things like, "That's not the right answer, Ali, but I can see how you got there. Let's try it again." It gives her the courage to try. And I can't fault that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:24AM

I use "Let It Go" when two students are having an argument over something petty. I'll settle the argument, but I can see that bad feelings are still rife, at which point I'll tell the kids to, "let it go." And the whole class bursts into supportive song. :) I love it!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:10AM

Elsa is a powerful, independent woman who throws off the shackles of society to find herself. She is the monarch, yet she doesn't seek a husband, let alone abase herself to her husband. She tells her younger sister not to get married in haste, like young Mormon women love to do. Some people think she might be gay.

As BKKKP said, the three great enemies of the LDS Church are feminists, intellectuals, and gays. A strong woman who thinks for herself and doesn't need mean pretty much wraps that into one person.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:12AM

There is also the unspoken assumption in certain quarters that all single women past a certain age are gay if they are not actively dating. I've found that attitude. It's ridiculous.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:15PM

Although with Mormon men, if they are halfway attractive and have half a personality, if they aren't hitched by 30, they are probably gay.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:32PM

There is an attitude that women who do not return the interest of men or chase after marriage are gay, which may be why Elsa is assumed to be gay. Her orientation is never shown and shouldn't matter. Gay, straight, or asexual, she has a right to show zero interest in getting married. But many (not all) Mormon mommies would object to their daughters learning that lesson.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:13AM

Mormons are heavily dependent on Disney for much of their entertainment because they are supposed to only view "safe" movies that fit their moral agenda and have no sexual content. Also, most of them seem to be stuck in a kind of perpetual state of intellectual and artistic childhood; they avoid anything that requires intellectual engagement.

Elsa doesn't end up with a prince; so what? Given the plot of the movie, she's had zero opportunities to meet one. She's afraid of her powers and convinced that others will see her as a monster. She believes she will end up accidentally hurting or killing people, so she isolates herself to make sure that can't happen. There's nothing about Elsa's sexual orientation anywhere.

The more problematic message for Mormons might be the very clear message (with the younger sister, Anna) that it's a bad idea to get engaged to someone you've just met.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:55AM

No one, I repeat no one, is allowed to get twitterpated.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:53PM

It's a Disney movie and mormons LOOOOOOOOVE Disney. Mostly because most of them never progressed psychologically or emotionally past Disney level. I've certainly never seen a mormon who doesn't like Frozen.

But since my granddaughters love it so much, I take every opportunity to remind them of the really good things about it--never apologize for being yourself, you don't have to live up to everyone else's expectations, men are pigs, etc.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:11PM

Were Mulan and Pocahontas gay too? Maybe even Kung Foo Panda. Po liked those meatballs a little too much.

Posted by: Dory ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:26PM

I believe in the new Disney/Pixar film - Finding Dory - there's allegedly supposed to be a lesbian couple (human)

who cares?

seriously who gives a fuck

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:44PM

They might agree with that crazy blogger if Elsa is shown to have a girlfriend in the sequel. As for now, as it's a Disney thing, it's one "safe" form of entertainment.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:54PM

a well behaved Mormon woman saw it 3 times with her grand kids. she should tell ellen DeGeneres she doesn't like the gay agenda. ellen might reply, I've been gay since I was born

Posted by: anonexmo ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 11:32PM

None of the Mormons I know have a problem with Elsa or Frozen. They're not ex-mos or inanctive, although they're not ultra-extremist hardcore Mormon, either.

I know we love to mock Mormons and their love of Disney into adulthood, but let's not assume that the vast majority of Mormons hate the film or have a problem with the film or Elsa---that's not true.
There may be a few ultra-extreme TBMs who hate it, but that's not the majority. Some ex-mos can be just as judgemental and make just as many ridiculous assumptions as TBMs do. Shaking My Head.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 11:55PM

Beauty and the Beast. How DARE that Belle want to study and learn instead of getting hitched to that odious Gaston! They banned it from their house and had to make nasty comments if they saw an ad or anything else related to it.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 02:10AM

I mean the main star is a known practicing married Homosexual. It's got to be part of the Disney/Gay Agenda right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.