Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:25PM

It's all stupid and pointless and they're fleecing the rubes. Because the "answer" is yet another example of the belief the church holds that they owe the members nothing. There is no need to make church more intellectual. No need to quit with the dumb and repetitive lessons and talks. Are you bored? REPENT!

https://www.facebook.com/lds.david.a.bednar/?fref=ts

Have you ever heard a Sunday School teacher introduce the topic for a lesson and thought, “I already know about this subject”?

Have you ever heard a speaker in sacrament meeting identify the theme about which he or she will speak and responded, “Not again”?

Have you ever wondered, “Why do Church leaders always address the same basic doctrine and principles in general conference?”
Have you ever “checked out” mentally and spiritually because you anticipated an episode of repetitious teaching?

We all have, of course. And we need to repent for doing so and more fully appreciate the value of repetition as a means of facilitating revelation.

Repetitious learning and teaching as a line upon line and precept upon precept pattern of revelation can invite the Holy Ghost to renew, enrich, and enlarge the knowledge we already have obtained; it also can bring new knowledge and understanding into our minds and hearts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:28PM

The core of the religious teaching is to repeat until the answers are rote replies. Works in every single religion.

Date: May 30, 2016 04:46PM

Not so much when people have choice, though.

Date: May 30, 2016 04:48PM

Wrong placement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 04:49PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:26AM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The core of the religious teaching is to repeat
> until the answers are rote replies. Works in every
> single religion.

I disagree, SusieQ. It depends upon the church and the clergy. My Baptist pastor skips around both testaments, into different genres, and comes up with different material.* Just last Sunday he turned to Joseph's abduction and enslavement, and I thought, "Oh, no--not again!" But he had an entirely new take on it, focusing on the decades-long duration of Joseph's separation from his family, how that exacerbated the alienation and hostility (his brothers did sell him into slavery, after all), and the human and divine elements that interconnected for reconciliation.

My son is in seminary, and keeps a mental "inventory" of about 5 sermons he can deliver on short notice for guest preaching, plus outlines for others. Guest preachers can bring something new and interesting to a church service, which untrained LDS "clergy" and correlation mitigate against.

*He has a few issues he tends to bring up too much, but these are secondary--things he might reference in passing, rather than devote an entire homily to.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:43PM

There are some religions that want intellectual debate. They may all have been restrained by scripture but at least there's room for interpretation. There is no prophet to do the thinking for you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:44PM

Well, not to be nit-picky, but it's not like they have a modern day prophet to give them anything new...

Well, except for how the spirit moved on the prophet and had him create a new handbook doctrine re the children of gay couples, which ghawd then revealed to the masses via FB, which is like ghawd's message board now.

Ya have to give ghawd credit for growing with the times!

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:46PM

hear hear!

Date: May 30, 2016 04:49PM

"Well, not to be nit-picky, but it's not like they have a modern day prophet to give them anything new..."

Sounds like they're outsourcing that too. Do your own damn revelation, but don't get a different answer!

"Repetitious learning and teaching as a line upon line and precept upon precept pattern of revelation can invite the Holy Ghost to renew, enrich, and enlarge the knowledge we already have obtained; it also can bring new knowledge and understanding into our minds and hearts."

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:06PM

That first picture looks a lot more crowded than typical Sacrement meetings!

Date: May 30, 2016 05:10PM

Well, to be fair, it was all the members of the entire countries of Spain and Portugal. LOL!

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 06:18PM

Then again, sometimes repetition only serves to bloody your forehead and the wall you're beating it against.

JAR

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 01:58AM

He apparently had some good teachers in the university-level LDS get-together (I forget what they call it) and he has said, "There is so much more depth to the LDS belief system! Why do they have to go on and on with the same old primary-level drivel?"

He was a decent, tithe-paying, garmie-wearing TBM when I met him. When we married, we dragged sleepy kids out of bed before school for BoM reading (which I could have happily skipped, but I tried to be good). Granted, we watched the occasional R-rated movie, but it had to be QUALITY, like "Schindler's List." All in all, we followed the rules. But it got to be raggedy and thin.

And don't blame ME for dragging him away. It wasn't my fault. It was THEIR mindless BS that eventually drove him away. He couldn't bear to see what the current idiots have done to the church he once loved.

When they lost him, they lost a QUALITY believer.

Date: May 31, 2016 10:04AM

What? No repentance for wanting better? No turning the mindlessness into an opportunity for revelation?

It's a revelation, alright. The church reveals itself as nothingness and extortion.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:09AM

His Facebook says he is a public figure. Why not "An Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ." Says it all.

Send out 18 years olds to declare they were called of God to be a Missionary. Yet a head guy can not even express his calling as a divine calling.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:13AM

Not to change the subject, but a more recent post on that page from Bednar:

"The devotion, service, and sacrifice of Latter-day Saints in all parts of the world is a miraculous thing to behold—a marvelous work and a wonder only God could perform."

In other words, when you buy the lumber, pay for the permits, hammer and saw and work long sweaty hours alongside other talented craftsmen--you didn't build that house, it was all wonderful work that only God could perform.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:15PM

We learned that in the temple.
All of creation was performed by Jehovah and Michael, who had to return and report, get more instructions, return and report ad nauseum.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:23PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The devotion, service, and sacrifice of
> Latter-day Saints in all parts of the world is a
> miraculous thing to behold—a marvelous work and
> a wonder only God could perform."

There are currently about 22,000 active LDS missionaries.
Doctors without Borders counts currently over 30,000 volunteers, most of them doctors and nurses who give up lucrative pay to help people (REALLY help people) throughout the world.

Oh, oops, I guess "only god could perform" is false. Good people do it without referencing "god" all the time. How about that.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:40PM

As a convert, I last about 2 years (longer than many), then the church just got boring and depressing. The repetition didn't work with me.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:16PM

Rote Repetition Repeated

Mormons learn the three Rs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 10:16PM by donbagley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.