Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:12PM

Is this gentleman still a member?

Gatorman

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brettys ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:18PM

Wowie!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:22PM

How did he get his Stazi, er, HCO file?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:24PM

Back story...

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/opinion/53825333-82/marriage-sex-gay-church.html.csp

The above article is from 2012 and ends with, "(he) lives in Phoenix and is active in the church."

Bradley Carmack, talk to us! What's going on now? Google yourself and come talk to us!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:57PM

Date: May 29, 2016 10:12PM

I read a few of the profiles on FreeBYU(dot)org, and yeah, it looks like they're all exmos. But there are a lot of profiles...

You can't see the name until you click on the photo, so I don't know if Bradley has a profile posted.

But then I found his blog... He's one of the leaders of FreeBYU.

And he's into http://transfigurism.org/ Mormon Transhumanist Association.

If you want to learn about this association, here's a story from none other that the New Yorker Magazine!

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/mormon-transhumanism-and-the-immortality-upgrade

...further deponent sayeth not...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:29PM

"deeper and deeper"

Date: May 29, 2016 09:49PM

The new 11th Article of Faith:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all non-BYU students and non-church employees the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:09PM

If you're on Facebook, you can find his page there. (Just his name, but there's been a change)

Doesn't say if he's still a member or not.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:06PM

What all did he do?

Date: May 29, 2016 11:26PM

SII, he worked against same-sex marriage when it was on the ballot in Maine. Then a couple of years later, while a law student at the Y, had a change of heart. He wrote a book about his change of heart, and in that book he proposed that same sex marriage was NOT against church doctrine, and he even used the proclamation of the family to support his opinion.

Because the theme of the book was against church teachings, and he was a BYU student, someone reported it as an honor code violation. But as the document reflects, the powers that be at the Y decided not to do anything about it.

The guy then went on to help found the FreeBYU(dot)org website, where, basically, exmos who either attend the Y or graduated from the Y tell stories about the horrors of the Honor Code as it applies to people who decide the church is not true, while at the school. They get kicked out. One guy said he was in his last semester at Ricks when they booted him.

Which is why the came up with their version of the 11th commandment; the church says anyone but BYU students can worship as they see fit. BYU students must remain mormon.

Posted by: brettys ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:44PM

Thanks so much for that link. I've only read a few profiles, but they are interesting. Very sincere. The church is in deep trouble.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:07PM

Interesting read and well written. He makes compelling points in his book synopsis. Thanks for posting this, Topper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 11:07PM by cinda.

Posted by: Anon1993 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:36AM

In one of the less flattering parts of my family history, two of my uncles and several more distant relatives were spies for the communist East German government, keeping detailed files (down to overheard conversations) of presumptive regime defectors - mostly common citizens. The detail and makeup of this file reminds me of that. In fact, the similarities are so striking that the documents probably could be exchanged and no one would notice...

On the other hand, his outline goes to show that it is actually possible to find sound scientific research done at BYU. Not without alerting the HC Department, but some students have beaten the odds and actually know enough about research methodology to get things done. I'm impressed! I'd love to get a copy of the book sometime.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 11:13AM

I'd have to injure myself doing mental gymnastics to think that TSCC wants to have *any* members.

Posted by: seneschal ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 08:44PM

What am I missing here? Didn't the Honor Code Office review the submitted complaint by an anonymous student and then reject it, finding no cause for action? I'm all for criticizing the Honor Code Office, which I think should be abolished, but I don't think this is the best example to use.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.