Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Maizyday2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:32PM

Latest email from my son's friend:

This week was a unique experience for me, but I'm sure it's one that every missionary ever has, and ever will have. After last week, full of people to teach and people interested in talking to us, I was pumped to work hard and have it happen again. I was excited to do it all over and to find even more people, teach even more lessons, and feel even better about our work, so that's exactly how we started the
week... Excited.

We couldn't wait for our set appointments that we had
throughout the week with new people that looked so promising. We decided not to let the size of our area hold us back and go to those who we felt needed a visit no matter how far away they were, and bike whatever we needed to bike to get there.

To make a long story short, nobody was home all week. If anybody answered the door, the person we had in mind moved, and the new people weren't interested. All of our appointments fell through except for one with the family we met last week, and after an awesome dinner they slammed us with all of their research that they had already done on Mormonism, and we couldn't do anything to resolve their concerns
because of how deep the concerns were. We continually went home
disappointed and worn out.

All of my excitement for working hard and looking for miracles was being diminished because of all of the things
that weren't happening, and I was getting so burned out. Nothing was going our way, and I didn't know what we were doing wrong.

On Sunday after church during dinner we decided to listen to some talks that Elder Swensen had on his USB, and one by Elder Holland came up all about missionary work. It was directed toward mission presidents for when they have missionaries come up and ask why things
weren't easy, so it was perfect for me. I'm going to paraphrase what Elder Holland said and what I learned from the talk:

Missionary work was never supposed to be easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. We can't truly share the spirit of our testimonies of the atonement if we haven't seen and felt the love from it. We could never let someone feel the truth when we haven't come to a real understanding of what it can do, and the only way to do that is to use it ourselves. When we are struggling, when we are being spit upon,
rejected, and left alone, when we feel burned out and don't think we can go any further, we are standing shoulder to shoulder with the greatest light that the world has ever known.

The fact is, life isn't easy. Missions aren't easy. Nothing truly good comes easy, but that's okay, and we all need the Atonement. When we're at our lowest, we are the closest to where the savior was, and the closest to where we can feel his love if we're humble.
"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast
into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce
winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the
elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws
of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son,
that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy
good.

The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?"
D&C 122: 7-8

To be a true disciple of Christ, we must walk a path that reminds us of the path that he walked. It was never said that it would be easy,but it will always be said that it is worth it. He can always lift us up and teach us what we need to know, and it will always be for our good. It's not easy in the moment, but after all, it will 'be but a
small moment' and will always be worth it. Happiness, salvation, real friends, pure love toward those around us, families, meaningful memories, and all the good things that truly will last a lifetime and onto the eternities are not cheap. Life isn't meant to only be hard.

The part that makes it worth it is what comes after, and once we get to the top of the mountain we are trying to climb, we will understand.

I have the faith that it is worth being a disciple of Jesus Christ. I have the testimony that He lived, died, and rose again, that he set up a church in these days through the Prophet Joseph Smith who was also rejected, spit upon, and left alone save the Lord by his side, and
nobody can make me believe differently. I can't deny any of that without being a liar, and even though I continually have my doubts and my questions, I also continually have reassurances and confirmations that it is true, which either can't be explained otherwise or just feel deeper and more peaceful than anything else. This isn't something
that I believe in just to reassure my questions about life, but
something that I know is actually true, whether that's something I'd want or not. The beautiful thing is that it's exactly what I'd want and even more what I need! It brings joy and support, and I know that God loves me and is giving me everything that I need to become someone
better. I know that it is the same for all of you too, and I'm so grateful for all of you that have helped me in any way. I learn best through example and other people, so I couldn't have done it without you! I love all of you for the support I've been given, and I love this gospel. I want all of you to know that.

A random challenge that I have for all of you (I may have done this
before) that like hymns, is to take one of your favorites and really
study the words. It works wonders! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:48PM

"All of our appointments fell through except for one with the family we met last week, and after an awesome dinner they slammed us with all of their research that they had already done on Mormonism ...."

And I'll bet the ones that fell through without explanation were the result of Googling "Mormonism," too, but the people were just too polite to confront the poor mishies.

I wonder if Sergey and Larry realize how many Mormon missionary appointments they're canceling. (I think they would be proud, but probably wouldn't admit it.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:58PM

Remember the good ol' days, when someone would mention one of the wobbly legs of mormonism and we'd bullshit like mad and bear our testimonies and smooth the waters over?

Facts, with chapter and verse, are a mo/fo!

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:56PM

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:44PM

"we couldn't do anything to resolve their concerns
because of how deep the concerns were. We continually went home
disappointed and worn out."

I was actually pleased to see him validate them as "deep concerns" rather than put it more negatively or express it as evidence of the work of Satan, or something.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 03:02PM

The missionaries need to be trained to deal with the "deep concerns" that they face. It's too bad they are so ill prepared for donating their whole life to a service that leaves them hanging like that.
At least, have some answers the missionaries can use, even if they are lacking.
The core of the problem is simple: your feelings that drive your "testimony" is no match for the real facts that have been out there all along and are now easily accessible on the Internet.

Ultimately, the person has to decide if they want their World View to be based on metaphysical, supernatural, visionary claims .... or not.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 03:30PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The missionaries need to be trained to deal with
> the "deep concerns" that they face.

This issue has to have come to the attention of the Fossil 15. It is likely that the Fossils, in order to maintain the appropriate facade, are going to continue to insist that having been issued one Testimony, Regulation Seminary Issue, they are adequately equipped. After all, 'facts' don't convert, the Spirit does!

What they won't admit is that opening up to the members regarding the 'naughty bits' of mormonism is waaaaaaaay too risky! Can you imagine turning Daniel Tapirson lose to explain stuff to the missionaries!!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 03:38PM

elderolddog !

I know, I know. I was thinking in terms of what would help, not what they will admit they need to do! (Dreaming again!)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 03:06PM

Investigator: You're asking me to make a major life change without researching it a little?

Missionary: Uh, yeah.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 06:35PM

"Nothing truly good comes easy"

Absolutely, categorically untrue. While some good things come after effort and hardship, many wonderful things come easily, quickly, and for free.

Today was a beautiful day. I did nothing to earn it or deserve. It just was, and is. Same goes for this past weekend in the park with my wife and the girls. Oh, it cost us two bucks in bus fare to and from, but that's about as close to easy as you can get.

The "atonement" is a fraud to begin with and has no intrinsic value, because there's nothing to be atoned for. But if you swallow the B.S. that you need atonement then suddenly it has great value. I don't need atonement from Jesus Christ or anyone else because I don't need atonement, period. I forgave myself (but thanks for asking).

If this kid equates "looking for miracles" with finding someone vulnerable, talking them into getting dunked, and then a few months later the dunkee thinks "Forget this" and splits, I got news for you: that ain't a miracle.

Posted by: superdave ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 06:52PM

At least they got dinner out of the deal. That family couldn't be all bad! :)

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 08:16PM

To say it's hard because many good things are hard is at least less abusive than placing all the blame on the poor mishys. It could have been the president yelling about how they didn't work hard enough, have enough faith, been obedient, giving in to Satan, etc.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 08:35PM

"salvation is not a cheap experience" well uh, Mormon salvation is not a cheap experience that for sure.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:43AM

Exmoron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "salvation is not a cheap experience" well uh,
> Mormon salvation is not a cheap experience that
> for sure.

No kidding. It'll cost you 10% for the rest of your life. At a minimum.
And you get nothing in return.

Posted by: maizyday ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:58PM

This missionary is a good kid... bright, talented. The youngest in a fairly large family. They are also, I believe, a bit of an anomaly. I think they're...gasp.... Democrats.

Here's hoping that before his mission is over, a few light bulbs start going off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.