Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:21PM

I did not want to be updated to Windows 10.

But Microsoft had other ideas.

It decided to shut down my computer when I was doing something and is now updating itself. Nearly an hour later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:23PM

Oh my! I can't upgrade or my work program won't work. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Date: May 29, 2016 07:40PM

Best find out how to stop it from happening.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:24PM

are you saying that windows is a virus ? *LOL*

Date: May 29, 2016 07:37PM

Dave, you raise an interesting point.

If software takes over your computer without permission or authority and makes changes to the computer, is that a virus?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:31PM

Google: How to prevent windows 10 from down loading.

You are not alone in being frustrated with this move from MS.

It tried to overtake my PC a couple weeks ago. It started a countdown clock on my PC. I tried turning off my PC and rebooting, but when it came up, the clock was still counting down. I panicked and Googled for a resolution to stop it. I don't remember what I did, but I was successful.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:32PM

Happened to my partner. It is possible to revert to your old OS. I had to do it twice.

Date: May 29, 2016 07:55PM

It has installed.

First thing it did? Remove my HP printer software and removed my anti-spyware software as it doesn't work with Windows 10.

Perhaps the jerks at Microsoft could have, oh, I don't know, done something useful like making Windows 10 compatible with stuff?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:57PM

Has anyone had problems with Microsoft Word and Windows 10 being compatible? Or is it an issue with having both Microsoft Works and Word on the same desktop.

I really need to take a computer science class or something.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 12:52PM

I have Word 2013 and have had no issue with compatibility. It was a part of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:05AM

It seems to do things that I haven't asked it to. Other times, I can't figure out how to make it do what I want.

Overall, I don't like Windows 10 and resent being bullied into using it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:16PM

They tricked me into updating. When their EULA pops up, click "Do Not Accept" and it will restore your old OS.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:00PM

I was finally beaten down and let it update. My 7 year old desktop runs faster than ever. Everything seems to still work.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:08PM

I went through 3 new computers in less than a month that had windows 10. I've never worn so much or been so frustrated in my life. It was a month of hell.

I ended up going Apple.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:31AM

What a nightmare thread. So glad I left Microsoft behind after XP.

Madalice, hope the Apple experience is going well. And I wish I could say Apple's software is as solid as it use to be. But alas, they seemed to have let it go, apparently to pursue other priorities.

I know a lot of Apple people that are getting frustrated and would switch if there was an alternative. Lucky for Apple, there isn't. Yet.

DO YOU SEE THIS, APPLE? SMARTEN UP, DAMNIT.

Human

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:29PM

I figured I had the mother of all viruses!

This is a VERY old (9 years?) computer that has been replaced, I just haven't bothered to physically plug in the new one.

Everything is on two external hard drives as back up, and I had done a manual back up just the other day, so when it started the whole "WE HAVE TAKEN CONTROL. YOU WILL BE UPGRADED" bullshiz, my first thought was unplug it, then I thought, it's all saved, I have a whole new box right there, let's see what happens.

seems to make the old girl a lot faster.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:41PM

Same here... I resisted the upgrade, made sure to cancel the automatic update... But then I began reading tales of joy by others who'd resisted it.

I took the plunge and the ONLY difference, besides the start page being old school again, is that the one program that used to glitch on me, PrimoPDF printer, has not glitched once since the upgrade.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:55PM

I just bought a computer with Windows 7 ... on purpose. Now I am being told it will upgrade to Windows 10 May 30. I don't know how to stop it!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 01:42AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 08:14AM

My laptop (upgraded to 10 last july) is now VERY slow to boot up. Don't know if it's malware that affects W10 or what. I've done a couple complete scans but to no avail.

RB

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:27AM

I did not like Windows 8 but I like Windows 10 just fine. I bought a 15" MacBook Pro in between, but was sadly disappointed and gave it to my son, who was THRILLED that it did't work out for me.

My problem with the MacBook would probably not be a problem for others, however. I have a certain music editing software product I like that is not compatible. I wasn't willing to pay hundreds of dollars for comparable ones that WERE compatible. I tried Garage Band and used trial versions of others that were affordable, but I didn't like any of those as well as what I was accustomed to.

I also continuously had problems with things being too small on the screen, and I felt like I constantly had to keep messing with it to get it right. I don't have that trouble on my Windows laptop. If Apple ever comes out with a 17" laptop, I will try again, because they are otherwise excellent, and I love my iPhone and iPad. My husband has a desktop Mac with a HUUUUGE screen. It's just beautiful and PLENTY big. But I need a laptop for my purposes.

EDIT: P.S.- Not interested in OLD versions of Macbooks, some of which are 17".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 09:41AM by seekyr.

Date: May 30, 2016 12:48PM

I feel your pain. My computer updated automatically on a work morning when I was desperate to get to my email. I couldn't do any work related tasks until I figured out the new OS. But on the whole, I do like it better than Windows 8.1. It's far from being problem-free, but it's better.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 12:56PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 12:58PM

I'm using vista.

Let the flaming begin ...

Date: May 30, 2016 01:32PM

What flames? I loved Vista. My work laptop runs XP and that's wonderfully stable, functional, and reliable as well.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 03:01PM

I almost cried when I had to give up XP at work. I loved it.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:13PM

Of the One-Button Mouse... With Steve Jobs as its Prophet...

I've been a senior missionary for that cause since I left managing a computer rental company in the days of Windows 3.1 and DOS 4.0...

I wish there were money in opening rehab clinics for Windows wonks...

Admit it, you bought them for the gaming platforms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 02:36AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: byuatheist ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:23AM

I'm quite content to use Linux.

(BTW, I've upgraded to Windoze 10. I decided that I'd have to do it sooner or later, and decided to do it sooner. Win10 is not too unpleasant, but that may be because I hardly ever use it.)

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:17AM

Windows 10 is doable because you can strip it out enough to get it to work pretty well.

First off disable cortana and every permission that it gives itself (creepy). Just run through privacy and security and block about everything. You can also get rid of that weird search thingy at bottom. Annoyed me half to death.

Second disable edge and install chrome, Firefox, or even IE. They are all better.

Third uninstall every crappy metro app and make the store icon disappear.

Fourth install classic shell to get your windows 7 start menu back. You can even get the windows XP one back as well.

An now you can use it as a functional machine.

Then wipe the harddrive and install Ubuntu Linux. So much better and easier to use.

Date: May 31, 2016 05:30AM

To me, Edge (the new browser) is one of the biggest issues. It could be, and hopefully will be, a really great browser. But Microsoft issued it in very rough form. You definitely need a backup browser with Windows 10. I use Chrome or even IE when I've had it with Edge.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 07:39AM

Browsers: I use Chrome when streaming movies (when you mouse over the timeline you see screen shots of the movie - nice for skipping forward/back), and Firefox for everything else. I have IE in case there's an online course or something that works better on IE than on the others. I don't use Edge because I don't like how all my bookmarks are arranged over on the side.

I use the search box ("Ask me anything") at the bottom fairly often for quickly getting to a program or file I want, or check the weather etc.

The Start button that was taken away in 8, was thankfully returned in 10. That was my one BIG gripe with 8 and I actually did download a shell to restore the Win 7 start button when I was in 8. I have never embraced the new menu screen idea with all the "apps". If I used my laptop as a tablet and used the touch screen I suppose I'd use that. I think the emergence of touchscreen laptops and tablets is why they created all that.

I've been a computer user for about 30 years, but I'm not a techy, so I try to keep my system up to date and not mess around with things too much.

Posted by: seneschal ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:22AM

As much as I dislike the way that Microsoft is forcing Windows 10 on people that don't want it, it is actually a very good operating system. Possibly the best they have ever done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 11:22AM by seneschal.

Date: May 31, 2016 12:24PM

It might yet be, but at this point it lacks the stability of Vista or XP.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:22AM

I have a Toshiba laptop that runs Windows 8.1. It had this annoying icon in the tray that was "Get Windows 10".

When I saw this post, it was the first time I had heard that Microsoft was going to upgrade me to 10, whether I wanted it or not. Google saved me. If you have Windows 7 or 8.1 and do not want to "up?"grade:

Go to https//www.grc.com/never10.htm and download the very tiny (89K) and free app. It disables the Microsoft VIRUS that would automatically take over your computer.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:59AM

After many years of MS at work and at home I switched to all Apple at home.

All wireless too. No more cabling. Everything works together all the time.

Apple TV, iphones, ipad and laptop. No more PC room. It is flippin awesome!

It was not cheap but my time is more important.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.