Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:08PM

This takes an old problem we have with these mission call videos and takes stupidity to a new level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PI-BdQEMrY

She is pretty, so I hope her future husband comes by to meet her at her Wrecksburg abode. In person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:26PM

Sorry, I got 5 mins in and gave up.. It runs for 36 mins!!
What happened, I didn't get past the envelope in front of the camera.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:31PM

But she just kept displaying her address. I assume she has gone home by now.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:42PM

She actually opens it around 26 minutes. Announces that she is going to the "Germany Speaking" mission - twice.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:03AM

The Germany Speaking Mission. Silly, but cute in an ignorant way.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:53PM

Before I joined (converted adult), a gal I was dating (TBM) invited me to a friend's house; their son was gonna open his letter.

I hadn't realized it was such a big deal. It was a freakin' party--tons of food, folks calling in from overseas on Skype. Just so a kid could open an envelope and announced to an excited extended family that he was going to... [drum roll]...UTAH!

I should have known then that something was amiss. It was one of those things that, only after joining the church and having Toto pull down the curtain in front of the Wizard, found its place on my soon-to-be-crowded shelf.

I feel sorry for these kids, all of them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:09PM

So now creeps all over the world know her home address. Real smart.

In my novel, a boy gets dumped badly by a girl, and is counseled by a G.A. to go on a mission. I have him enlist in the Marines instead. (Eventually, he'll leave the church.)

(Is there still a French Foreign Legion to run away to?)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:08PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:30AM

It's very tough - US Marines-type tough.

One of my brother's BILs joined it at 19 to get away from his horrendous parents. He got out after 18 months, totally traumatized.

Still exists though.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:48PM

The amount of applause depends on how exotic the mission sounds...

I'm sure there's still the ranking: best mission is overseas, with a language, then South America, then State side or Canada w/ a language, then State side or Canada, and then finally, the Provo mission...

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:57PM

I wish one of them had a twisted sense of humor & announced he/she was going to some war torn hellhole like Syria, Yemen, Somalia, etc. See how many cheer that crap.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:19PM

I had a mormon, theo-political operative neighbor/her University Professor husband who were actually called to Damascus, Syria! This craziness took place in 2009 or 2010! When they - overwhelmed with excitement informed my wife/I of the planned lunacy, I told them to refuse the call! Sister crazy who was more outspoken than her husband essentially told me she would have none of that kind of thinking! So, off they went to a mid-eastern country in shambles in the mist of a terrorist driven, violent/chaotic revolution! I'm okay with their stupidity, after all, GRUNT did his duty as a human being/warned them of the inherent dangers that of course went completely unnoticed!

Through the moron network, I later learned that they were eventually transferred to Jordan after being locked away by the church in Damascus in order to preserve their lives! From what I understand now, they have returned home! At this point in time, I can't fathom them taking another absurd chance like the Syria debacle! But - who knows - they're morons? As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:51PM

Don't they actually believe that they're selected by the prophet? Too bad the prophet couldn't have seen the political instability & the rise of ISIS, coming.

Posted by: What?! ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:15PM

Looks like an overeaters anonymous meating in a cheap apartment

Date: May 29, 2016 09:19PM

I was bummed 'cause they left the Latino all by himself. He came in with an Anglo male and female and the male stood by him and never said a word to him. So I decided he was banging the white girl and that was her brother, who hates the idea, but what's he gonna do; homeboy is bigger.

Posted by: jeffbagley ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:26PM

Great
I'm sure she'll have an easy time learning to speak germany.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 11:45PM

First word: auslander

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:26PM

Good lord those kids are boring!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 03:21PM

Was the room spinning or something? As soon as anyone entered the room they immediately got sucked over to a wall. It was kind of strange. Hardly anyone speaking to another. Guess they were there JUST for the letter opening, period.

Date: May 30, 2016 03:32PM

Great! Attending mission call letter openings has become a new meeting to attend.

At least they all had their cell phones...

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:52PM

Isn't it stupid to put your address on the internet for nearly 1/2 hour? A very trusting idiot, naive.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:52PM

I went to Switzerland and was constantly asked if I knew how to speak Swedish? Geography isn't a long suit in Utah schools obviously.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:08AM

So, did you speak Swiss?

Posted by: The Matrix ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:57PM

When I announced EL Salvador 19 years ago there wasn't much applauding. In fact I'm pretty sure most laughed. I love when people ask me about it today. I tell them the Mormon Jesus hated me.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:59PM

I just fail to comprehend in this day and age of information and intelligence. How can they want to serve to peddle such crap?

There's facts and knowledge that is greater than prayer, feelings and worthless dribble called scripture and empty words of fossils.

Come on LDS youth; you can do better.

Use google and seek the truth!

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 07:44AM

Kimbie?

Infant disposable diapers called "Kimbies" were sold in the seventies.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 02:45PM

The evolution of the party for every mormon event is out of control.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:28PM

I suspect everyone in there had already attended quite a few of these letter-opening "events" and it's now basically an obligation to go to each others' letter openings. Like all the other meetings they go to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 04:30PM by seekyr.

Date: May 30, 2016 04:47PM

How many of those sweet spirits served or will serve missions?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:01PM

Hasn't the morg leadership said anything about doing this or protocols!???? Or maybe common sense!!???

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:14PM

That's what I was thinking.

They cracked down on "irreverent" farewells during sacrament mtg years ago so why aren't they getting tough on these silly videos?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:19PM

Yet after a missionary homecoming or farewell, the members still hold parties after Sacrement and 3/4 of the ward leaves for it! Didn't the morg crack down on that too?? It sure doesn't seem so in my part of the morg corridor....

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 06:21PM

God, the YSAs all look exactly the same wherever you go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.