Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:07PM

-Little mention of Christ

-JS being the greatest thing next to Christ. But, all they talk about is JS.

-Emma's great affection for JS. I don't think so.

-Obedience, Obedience, Obedience TO THE PROPHET

-Boring talks and speeches--OMG, boring.

-Bad Breathe

-Misleading and false statements about the history of the church.

-Realizing how little members knew about the church in lessons.

-White shirts

-Uninspired leaders

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:13PM

-Crying children (unless you're fortunate to be in a singles' ward)

Ever wonder why these "nondenominational" large churches with warehouse-style buildings, half of its space consisting of numerous child-care rooms complete with a sign-up counter in front, continue to grow at a rapid pace?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:47PM

My still slightly active sister gave me a list that was almost the same as your's about a year ago. She is considered inactive. She only goes as her husband is very active. He is working in Alaska this summer. I wonder how often she has attended while he has been gone!!! (I haven't dared to ask.) All her children and grandchildren are not mormon.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:00PM

My FAVORITE part of meetings is listening to the newer members give long impassioned rambling emotional homilies while I sit there speculating how soon their devotion will start fraying around the edges.

Case in point: the young lady who spoke first today. She and hubby joined a few months ago. I give her six months before she starts declining callings, and they both start missing meetings.

I hope their marriage doesn't suffer. They seem like a nice couple.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:05PM

maybe that's why it's always RM's that give the talks, or the dry counsel? ha ha.

What I miss is the days before air conditioners were invented when it was still fashionable to not bathe everyday, when deep in the middle of summer there would be an afternoon meeting (after all the other wards had breathed up the air) I can still smell that putrid air wafting down the hall and out the door.

Yum!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:26PM

I used to be entertained by the small kids that were always trying to escape. They were very funny to me, even though their parents didn't think so.

The ones that shouted out totally inappropriate things in SM were pretty funny too. Kids say funny things at church.

There was a 4yo that was being very naughty one Sunday during class. He was getting every one riled up. The teacher asked him what he thought Heavenly Father would say about him being so naughty. He immediately broke into song "Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?". The teacher had to step into the hall so he couldn't see her laughing so hard she had tears running down her face.

Other than events like that, I don't miss church at all.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:34PM

As Sam pointed out, there's no "new" revelations. There's no exhorting or expounding on Jesus' teachings. There's only word salad. No one listens anyway, so why not play games on your phone. It's all word salad and even when Mormons are called to repentance on Word of Wisdom, Mormon Political Manifesto, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Political_Manifesto

LDS inc. tells the members almost directly not to vote for Trump because LDS inc is pro-immigration and pro-Muslim refugee; yet all of them turn out to be bigots.

F&T meetings are the worst--especially when parents have been told not to send up their toddlers and youngsters to profess a testimony which the children don't or can't have yet. Etc...

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:07PM

Awesome checklist!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:23PM

Things I don't miss: crushed cheerio mixed with poopie diaper odors, pictures of Jesus in the men's room staring at the urinals, florescent lights everywhere without a hint of natural lighting, morbid music emanating from the organ where someone has discovered the vibrato stop, all in a space decorated to be some tatty funeral parlor.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:33PM

I don't know... Tough call!

What's your alternative? Sunlight? Snoring in a hammock under a tree, with the *annoying* buzzing of insects? Your favorite 'mix' coming through your ear buds or a nice bluetooth?

Would you trade the Sacrament for grilled meat and ice cold beer? Would you trade the mind numbing drone of the stake high councilman for the shrieks of your kids on a slip 'n slide?

I am sincerely wondering about your suitability for ghawd's very own CK!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 06:12PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I am sincerely wondering about your suitability
> for ghawd's very own CK!

Have YOU looked in the mirror recently? Plus, I want to be where my friends are. Face it, Dawg--scotch, BBQ, cussing, Boners, and Dawgs are stuff of the Terrestrial Kingdom.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 06:44PM

LOL Boner

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 07:30PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> elderolddog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> Have YOU looked in the mirror recently? Plus, I
> want to be where my friends are. Face it,
> Dawg--scotch, BBQ, cussing, Boners, and Dawgs are
> stuff of the Terrestrial Kingdom.
>

Maybe we can get on the same shift at the Celestial nappies laundry!!

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 07:17PM

In front of the urinals? Ew!

I remember escaping to the women's bathroom sometimes, and then sitting in a stall still being forced to listen to the speaker because they piped those talks to everywhere in the building. The bathroom wasn't much of a respite, though, since it was sometimes filled with babies getting their diapers changed, screaming children, and exhausted, sobbing mothers.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 07:24PM

Question --> Did the men's bathroom have a changing table? Or was it assumed there would always be a woman around to do the baby changing?

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 07:11PM

and where you chose to be instead of a gloriously boring LDS meeting block.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:59AM

I love children, unconditionally, even their crying.

I have spent a lot of time on noisy playgrounds during recess, in loud, indoor swimming pools, in gyms and parks and waiting rooms--and kids are just noisy!

But there's a DIFFERENT SOUND in a Mormon church meeting. It's the sound of children in despair! They are crying and pleading with their parents to take them out of that depressing hole, and out into the sunshine and fresh air.

Children are wiser than we know!

I am appalled at the cruelty of the parents, who turn a deaf ear to the wailing of their own little ones, for the sake of "obedience." Christ and "Love" are not in the Mormon buildings.

When the children grow up, the thoughtless parents just turn their kids over to "The Church" and expect those innocent darlings to cope with the evil--alone. The cult has free reign to teach racism, sexism, elitism, JS's lies, false promises, fear and threats, and Satan, and hatred of gays--all those things that made my own children hide in the bushes for 3 hours, or run for the hills, when they were old enough. But when they were tiny, they cried and cried, until I took them out of meetings. I was glad to go, too. My kids and I resigned together.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:49AM

What I miss least is the length.

3 hours--at a minimum.

When I was a ward mission leader in a student ward, it was even worse--with two extra hours of meetings. Five hours of meetings in the morning, and probably something like home teaching, fireside or ward prayer in the evening. Sunday was hardly a day off.

Of course, it would be one thing if it was always an intellectually challenging, socially constructive, and spiritually inspiring--but the vast majority of the time it was no such thing, which only made those hours worse.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:56AM

Amen brother! 3 freaken hours was time and all eternity. Especially during football season!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.