Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 10:11PM

So are these secret names completely Utah-centric, like Ruth? Or do they include some of the ridiculous names in the Book of Mormon? I'm guessing they don't include traditional names from Asian, African, and Middle-Eastern cultures because as we all know, only white culture really counts (or Native American culture, but only as redefined by white people).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 10:29PM

When I got my new name, Moroni, I honest to gawd though that there were just two of us, and I gave a friendly salute to his statute on top of the St. George temple on my way to the parking lot.

To my knowledge, JS gave no instructions on this issye. When he was playing temple bed bingo, he was just making shit up as he went along.

There was no written record of the temple ceremony and when they were ready to open the St. George temple, special meeting had to be held so they could all decide how it should go.

The gawd of the mormons leaves them alone a lot when things have to be figured out.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 10:30PM

They are names from the church genealogy files. Most are from the US in the 1800's or further back, from what I could tell. They let you keep the little piece of paper with the name on it, then they demanded them back. I suppose that is when they started recycling names, or they had been doing it all along and people found out. I know I got the same name twice.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 05:44PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are names from the church genealogy files.
> Most are from the US in the 1800's or further
> back, from what I could tell. They let you keep
> the little piece of paper with the name on it,
> then they demanded them back. I suppose that is
> when they started recycling names, or they had
> been doing it all along and people found out. I
> know I got the same name twice.

What SusieQ#1 is referring to is the name of the dead person for whom the proxy ordinances are being performed. That is NOT the "new name."

The "new name" is a really new name for the person (alive or dead) being endowed, and it becomes the "name" (for that person) of the First Token of the Aaronic Priesthood, and must be given as a password at the veil of the temple, at the end of the endowment.

Most "new names" are from scripture. It is a first name only. On any given day in the temple, all male patrons receive the same "new name" and the females likewise.

My "new name" was "Enoch"

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:26PM

RPackham

Thanks for that clarification. That's what happens when I get interrupted and don't finish a post.

Yes. The New Name is a name chosen by the temple presidents wife, or so I am told, for each day. It's the same for every male and every female on that day in that temple. (Have reason to believe they are not kept recorded anywhere..next paragraph explains why!!)

I forgot mine and went through the strange series of events to get it back. Ya. I was that dedicated. It required being interviewed by the bishop, the stake president and a recommended appt with the local temple president who gave me three names to choose from so I chose one which he accepted as correct.
Just shows you how much this is total baloney!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 04:26PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 10:55PM

The temple names I have heard of are names from the bible, bofm, and the older pioneer immigrant names, so some that were from England, Denmark, and Sweden. Would be interesting to know if there has been any updating in this area to include names from countries that the missionaries have infiltrated.

My temple name is Sarah which sat all right with me as I was worried I would get Gertrude or Helen (deep apologies if these are your names),

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:17PM

This site has collected names for years and lists them by date given.

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:39AM

I think the men get characters from the BOM and the early church fathers and biblical characters. So expect Hebers, Helamons, Moronis and Timothys.

Women are the same-BOM, wives of the early church dudes and biblical names. I don't KNOW if they use Sariah, but they SHOULD since she's the only female mentioned by name in the BOM. I was an "Emma." A name I really like, so it was fine with me. I know there are Ruths as well. So same source material.

I, too, was disappointed when I discovered that LOTS of women (and every woman that DAY) had "my" name.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:07AM

I was disappointed as well.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:38AM

On everyone receiving the SAME name on any given day - that to me just seemed so ludicrous and "UN"-special. How is that explained to members? Or are they not allowed to ask?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 12:17PM

It would never be explained to anybody until about five minutes before it happens and they never tell you that everybody gets the same name. You have to figure that one out for yourself.

Posted by: janey ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:58AM

Would someone get endowed for the first time on their wedding day or some time before that? I'm wondering how you would know what someone's temple name was if they hadn't been on a mission.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 08:53AM

Mine was Abinadi

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:09AM

Waiting patiently for someone to reveal their secret...errrr...sacred name of Laquisha, Shin-zang, Shaka, Boris, Singing Bear or Betty Sue.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:56AM

Mine was Moroni, but I wasn't sure which one I was named after. The one who became the angel with a horn always seemed a bit of a loser to me, so I decided I was named after the other one.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:05AM

You can get endowed before your wedding day. Anyone who goes on a mission will get endowed before their mission. I know girls who have gotten endowed because they aren't married yet. My old roommate got endowed at about 38. She did get married at age 40.

I got endowed a week before my wedding. They tell you your name when you have the washing and anointing. You aren't supposed to know your husband's name.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 12:45PM

The temple name thing reminds me of Transcendental Meditation, which I practiced for awhile back in the '70s. To begin meditating one would receive a "special" mantra--a sound to repeat in one's mind. There was a lot of chatter about how these were extra-special sounds that only one's very own personal teacher would be giving out... except that was BS. They were mass-distributed, just like the Mormon temple names.

I think the church should re-think its temple-naming policy--maybe start using something perkier, like old-time baseball nicknames. I'd be a lot happier if, instead of Alma, my temple name were something like "Smoky" or "Shoeless Joe" or "Vinegar Bend" or "Hammerin' Hank" or "Cool Papa" or the like.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 11:32AM

Posted by: maizyday ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:24PM

Or Monty. As in.... Python.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 12:48PM

N/T

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:11PM

Originally everyone received Abraham or Sarah as new names to represent the new name of Abram and Sarai as explained in Genesis.

This meant you entered the Patriarchal priesthoods and covenants as they pertained to celestial marriage (polygamy or the Law of Sarah as explained in section 132:65)

Somewhere along the line things changed and everyone had the name of the day.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:18PM

This makes a lot of sense, in that JS was trying to get his 'all the women we want and more!' scheme supported. And he could use the argument that Sarah was 'in favor' of polygamy, so all you women...

Posted by: thematrix ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:12PM

My best friend got the name Nimrod. Hilarious

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 01:08AM

Define White. Mine was Moroni, fwiw.

Date: May 30, 2016 08:29PM

Caucasian-based -- primarily used by white Americans of UK / Euro / Nordic etc. descent.

Moroni is white, as it was made up by a white guy.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 07:53AM

So no Lamont and Boqueisha Temple names?

They really ought to update those names. Oops, I forgot they were holy; so holy, in fact, that every man and woman who goes through on a given day in a given temple gets the same one! God works in mysterious ways, clearly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 07:53AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 11:29AM

My new name, according to scuttlebutt relayed to me by a spiritual giant from byu before I ventured into the bazaar temple ritual was suppose to be unique/special to me! Okay, so I got the name of Daniel - you know, the Lion's Den kinda guy! Later, I discovered an interesting twist to the so-called new name! Like others, I finally discovered that everyone going through the temple on that particular day got the same name! Somewhat dismayed/shaken, I realized I wasn't really a special player in the mormon Ponzi Scheme but simply a victim in a long line of victims! Lesson learned: The temple experience is like everything else mormon - bullshit elevated to let's say - the 33rd degree! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 12:26PM by tnurg.

Date: May 30, 2016 08:27PM

There are enough Moronis on this thread to have a Moroni convention!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.