Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:51AM

We had yet ANOTHER disturbing story on local news this evening: a teenager who would have graduated from high school tomorrow was in the wrong place at the wrong time, got caught in the middle of a gang shootout, and ended up dead. This seems to happen three or four times a week here. Very depressing.

I started looking up safer places to live on the internet. Many are in Southern California (which we can't afford), some parts of AZ (which we can't afford either), some places very near the Mexican border (been there, done that, don't want to do it again), and then there are always VT and NH. As a native San Diegan, I cannot comprehend snow on the ground from October until April. Don't think I could handle that.

Boise kept showing up on various lists. I know they get snow there, but we get that here, too - once in a while. I don't think they have the scorching summers we do, but would like to hear more.

What I'm mainly concerned about is crime and personal safety. Those of you in and around Boise - what can you tell me about this? And is housing reasonable?

I'd appreciate your input. I don't think you can spray for Mormons, but we have come up with other ways of dealing with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 07:26AM

I recently saw Boise pop on a list of good places to retire. I know that safety was a consideration for that listing. Have you checked out Oregon as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 07:27AM by summer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:34AM

Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 09:14AM

Hi I live in Boise and we love it. We moved to Meridian first, which is "little Provo" in the Northwest part. Boise is completely different than Meridian. A lot less Mormons. Also the schools are better. House prices have shot up here. There is a ton to do outside, big name concerts, Broadway shows come, minor league hickey and baseball. In the summer the Shakespeare festival. Farmers markets galore. Weather is great, in winter the snow stays in the mountains. Plenty of grocery options. The library has a ton of programs for adults.

Little crime here, we walk downtown at night to eat. Hyde Park is a cute little restaurant area.

Sometimes I do feel trapped bc the nearest big city is 5 hours away SLC or 8 to Portland. But I feel safe here I love my "boring" life.

Nothing is ever crowded either. Let me know if you want more info.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 12:19PM

You had me at major league "hickeys!"

I've only driven through Boise but I thought it looked like a nice place to live.

Also, look at Grand Junction, CO. Mild winters, no scorching summers, and Beautiful scenery.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 12:59PM

I went to college in Boise, and is where I graduated mid-eighties. It was the height of Madonna, Prince, punk, and Blondie.

Winters could get bad, but by degrees not as bad as southeastern Idaho where I grew up.

The Mormon influence isn't as pronounced there. It's way more liberal than more conservative pockets of Idaho, including the Morridor. There are fruit belts nearby, and wine country.

It's straight driving to either Nevada (Winnemucca, Reno,) or SLC, and to California one direction. Oregon and Washington another.

Housing prices are slightly above the national average. Forbes has listed Boise as one of the top 25 places to retire to recently because of moderate weather, lower overall crime, housing and quality of life issues. I have no desire to return there but have family who lives there still. They seem to like it (and they're Jack Mormons to boot!)

It's also close to Sun Valley and Ketchum which are both winter and summer getaways for Boiseans. But expensive. Picture Park City to SLC, for an idea as to cost.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 08:28PM

Boise is fine, not very Morg. In fact they recently dissolve a stake in Boise. Meridian and east Nampa are where the Mormons are. I work in IT and on my staff of about 30 we only have one jack Mormon there. Boise is in the banana belt of Idaho. Fairly mild winter with snow only a few times a winter, summer can get over 100 for a short period. We moved here from Seattle and like having 4 seasons and lots of sunny skies. You can fly fish in the middle town and floating the river through town during the summer is a major pastime. Wife and I love running the foothills above town and the greenbelt. House prices have been going up. We were lucky to buy ours 4 years ago when the market was at the bottom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.