Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:31PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/05/26/woman-found-harbor-superbug-resistant-all-approved-antibiotics/84990300/

This doesn't bode well for the human race. At age 6 I had a serious nose infection. My doctor said the only thing that saved me was penicillin which had only become available a year earlier. Without effective antibiotics a large number of people will die every year from untreatable infections.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 09:08PM

I'm allergic to penicillin and another antiboitic.... so I'm

kinda scared.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:00PM

Don't worry baby, I still have the priesthood!!

Date: May 26, 2016 11:15PM

... darn it!

Baby Jesus made me make a mistake, again, dammit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 11:21PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 10:25PM

My old doc who had served in a MASH unit in Italy in WW2 said he feared a superbug pandemic would be the end of us. He was prophetic.

RB

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 10:27PM

A biologist friend told me once that "Mother Nature will always win if the population gets too big."

Date: May 26, 2016 11:21PM

I joke about 'thinning the herd'...

Welcome to Reverse America, circa 1494-ish or 5-ish ...Hopefully the current lack of contact between White people and the various Reservations will result in a little poetic justice.

Of course I'm joking... of course!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:13AM

lapsed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A biologist friend told me once that "Mother
> Nature will always win if the population gets too
> big."

yep. I remember that from Human Ecology 101: "The population of a habitat will not exceed its carrying capacity."

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:05PM

IN B 4 ~ the end of the world

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:18PM

My school is doing a longitudinal study on treating MRSA with a specialized honey. IDK how it would work with an antibiotic resistant strain of E. Coli though. What a terrible ordeal to go through.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:34PM

There are several times I would have died if it hadn't been for antibiotics. The first time was in the 1960's. I acquired infectivendocarditis from having braces on my teeth. The infection started from cuts in my mouth and went to my heart. I could have died at age 11.

That was a lesson learned. Keep your teeth in good health, and don't let your mouth become full of infections like gingivitis. These infections can end up in your heart muscle and kill you.

I also acquired a very horrible nasty infection at the hospital after having my tonsils removed when I was 18. I've never been so sick in my life. Frankly, dying would have been a huge relief. Antibiotics saved my life.

Because of my heart infection at age 11, a dentist won't wok on my mouth unless I premed with antibiotics. This concerns me. It seems like an overly paranoid use of antibiotics. This kind of thinking is what got us in the situation we're now in.

There isn't a good solution at this point. It's almost to the point where we will not have choices. It will be like it was when my grandmother died at age 28. It was before antibiotics. She'd just had her 3rd child. She suddenly died of spinal meningitis. They think she may have come in contact with it at the hospital. Who knows. The end result was tragic. Three kids left without a mother, and left with a horribly abusive father. Three generations later, the ripples of her death are still felt. It's tragic how broken her family ended up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 11:36PM by madalice.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 01:25AM

Many with congenital heart disease have to pre-med when they see the dentist. It depends what condition they have.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:58AM

the first five years or so after I had artificial knee implants. He was nothing if not cautious, and he said there was a slim chance that germs from dental work could end up in those knees, and he didn't want to take a chance on that.

He was an excellent dentist, and back then (he passed away a few years ago) I wasn't allergic to virtually everything, so I always accepted the pre-medication. Now, I don't dare.

Date: May 29, 2016 04:20AM

madalice wrote
>
> Because of my heart infection at age 11, a dentist
> won't wok on my mouth unless I premed with
> antibiotics. This concerns me. It seems like an
> overly paranoid use of antibiotics. This kind of
> thinking is what got us in the situation we're now
> in.
>

The preemptive strike of antibiotics for patients with certain heart conditions may seem like frivolous use of antibiotics, but it's prevented many serious conditions. A bigger problem is the patients and parents of patients who are not satisfied when visiting a doctor unless they walk out of the office with a prescription for antibiotics. it's less common than in earlier generations because physicians have become more responsible, but it still happens, and it's going to hasten the undoing of all of us.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:40PM

This is like the Y2K scare. Cold Atmospheric Plasma (CAP) kills MRSA and a lot of other stuff. Sometimes almost miraculously, like Jesus in a box. I'm not worried about antibiotic resistant anything because affordable CAP will be here before you know it. I mean, it's cheap and it's here but there are regulatory hurdles.

Superbugs - yawn.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 01:14AM

I guess we'll be yawning about your predictable death.

Date: May 29, 2016 04:37PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> I guess we'll be yawning about your predictable
> death.

+15

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:46PM

They are genetically engineering solutions to this. As long as we have science, we will be saved by, well, the opposite of miracles -- by the sweat and determination of mere mortals like ourselves. :) https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160509105649.htm

Date: May 29, 2016 04:21AM

abcdomg Wrote:
> They are genetically engineering solutions to
> this. As long as we have science, we will be saved
> by, well, the opposite of miracles -- by the sweat
> and determination of mere mortals like ourselves.
> :)
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/1605
> 09105649.htm

We can hope, anyway, but man does not always win against nature.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 01:20AM

I've got a fever...

And the only prescription is more cow bell.

;-)

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 06:28AM

Rancid olive oil on the crown of the head will magically cure any illness if cartoon God wills it. B

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 07:08AM

It appears that they made a correction to that story. My husband was telling me the scary story yesterday about it being totally untreatable, but today they say they've corrected the story and say that it WAS treatable with a combination of drugs.
The article did go on though, to say that we still have a problem with overuse of antibiotics and it's just a matter of time.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 03:02AM

antibiotics on the market in America that I'm known NOT to be allergic to.

I've turned into a super hand-washing freak every time we come home from anywhere.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 04:13AM

A news article today on NBC confirms that fear of the 'Superbug' getting the better of us. It ties into your story as relates to the same woman in Pennsylvania. It goes further in documenting why doctors are so concerned.

"A much-feared superbug gene has been found for the first time in the United States, and it has health officials very worried.

The gene, called mcr-1, was found in a woman from Pennsylvania who had a bad infection last month. In her case, it was an E. coli bacteria. But scientists say this particular gene can turn up in any bacteria, including strains that are already hard to treat, and that's what's scare.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/here-s-why-doctors-are-so-worried-about-new-superbug-n581701

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 07:17AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 07:19AM

I notice from the article that the big pharmaceutical companies have given up on developing new antibiotics because there is no profit in it for them. I don't know what the solution is, but that has to be a big part of the problem.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 03:24PM

It seems that having contributed to the problem by aggressively marketing the existing antibiotics to everyone and his brother and his brother's physician and corporate animal farming, Big Pharma wants to take its marbles and go home!

Date: May 29, 2016 04:22AM

bordergirl Wrote:
> It seems that having contributed to the problem by
> aggressively marketing the existing antibiotics to
> everyone and his brother and his brother's
> physician and corporate animal farming, Big Pharma
> wants to take its marbles and go home!

+200

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.