Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:41PM

No, I don't want your Scensy candles, your It Works! wraps, your maxi dresses and leggings, your Thrive patches, or your doTerra oils, thank-you-very-much. I can't take one more "selfie" of you posing duck-faced with a product you REALLY BELIEVE IN!!

I have an ad blocker on my browser, and I have clicked "Hide all from" as many LDS sources as I can, but these individual testimonials are really hard to escape, without blocking the friend or un-friending them altogether. (Which I don't do, because like most evangelical zealots, their gung-ho doesn't usually last longer than a few months.)

I read somewhere that the average person selling an MLM product takes home $1800 a YEAR. So all the blather about SAHM's supplementing their husband's income while keeping church orders to never leave the house are inflated at best.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 12:43AM

No, I cannot come to your Tupperware Party. Why, you ask why? Because I will have to move if I have to make room for one more burping-lid-piece-of-plastic (I really preferred to say shit).

Oh, and the guilt you are frequently made to feel when you do not buy whatever is being sold. I must say I bought into this whole scam for a while, but seriously, how many candles, how much make-up, and certainly, how many pots and pans does one need?

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 01:07AM

I know someone that sells $5 jewelry for Paparazzi. I figured out fairly quickly that it had to be an MLM, especially when she traveled 2000 miles to Hurricane, UT for a company convention. She also sells Plexus. I am not sure what that is. Maybe a weight loss product? I don't know if that is an MLM, but I tire of the posts about it.

Thirty-one. I bought some of their stuff because my friend hosted a party and her husband was unemployed. Now I'm kicking myself. It was over-priced and there is one item I just don't use. It seemed like every bag was nothing but a tote bag. You could add dividers but there was nothing to zip it shut so if it gets tipped, everything falls out. Okay for some things but not for others.

Scentsy is way overpriced. I can get similar items that are 90% cheaper.

DoTerra is another one. People talk about it and it reminds me of people bearing their testimony.

For those that really like this stuff, I don't mean to upset you. I always liked Tupperware but I haven't bought any in about 20 years. My main problem is getting bombarded on facebook with all this. Facebook was so much cooler when people weren't trying to sell their friends something.

Posted by: Tori ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 05:47AM

The WORST are the Rodan and Fields. A college friend has taken that one on, and it's RELENTLESS. Complete with PMs asking me to 'leverage my standing in my community' to promote the MLM.

I didn't reply. Am sorely tempted to unfriend, but we live far apart, and FB was our way of keeping in touch. I don't want to lose a friend over this.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 09:30AM

Tori Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The WORST are the Rodan and Fields. A college
> friend has taken that one on, and it's RELENTLESS.
>

Yes, it is pretty much all one of my family members talks about. And it is very expensive.

No way am I spending that kind of money on my face.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:20AM

You don't have to unfriend -- you can unfollow. That means that you are still friends but you won't see her posts on your home page. You can follow her again at some point in the future.

I unfollow people I like if they are spamming my home page with anything that is undesirable and/or relentless. They eventually figure it out when you don't respond to any of their posts. It's a useful way of sending a message.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 07:31AM

What's "Facebook"?

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 09:02AM

I went to the big annual Christmas crafts fair in Portland, OR. At one table there was some kind of packaged product--hardly a "craft," as it were--and I asked about it. The guy at the table claimed that it cured this and that, and was, in fact, some kind of miracle product. I said out loud, "Well, I wonder then..." and picked up a package and turned it over. Sure enough, it was manufactured in Salt Lake City. I said, "Salt Lake City. I thought so. Just another multi-level marketing product from the capital of multi-level marketing," and I walked away. This is quite the weird phenomenon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.