Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:48PM

Ok, I took the two hour challenge, which apparently can be summarized by:

"Its simple. Just pay close attention to your life & what happens in it within the next 2 hours. You should notice a rare occurrence."

So here is my return and report, I took a little longer than 2 hours, just in case God was busy helping someone find their lost keys, or maybe helping starving children in Africa find some food. Wait he doesn't help starving Africans.....my mistake.

So rare occurrences are as follows (they are numbered because there was 3 of them)

1. There was a online global meeting organised by the large Oil & Gas company I work for. I actually dialed into the stupid meeting to hear what our self-important leaders had to say, and I never do. This was a bloody rare occurrence for me.

What a waste of an hour of my life. More fucking job cuts, more ability to avoid answering questions, plenty of cuts to the workers and only a slight trimming to the middle management. No cuts to the crusty old senior executives of course. Which wasn't much of a surprise.

I am not yet on the hook for losing my job, and I was not added in this meeting. So no punishment for me there.

2. I took my car out for a drive at lunchtime. This was super rare for me, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've done such a thing in the last 2 years since I've been at this office.
God made it rain, and I'd just washed my car - bastard!
So I'm driving along, annoyed at God for making my car dirty, but then I remembered he works in mysterious ways. It wasn't about the dirty car, he was trying to get me to lose control of my 485HP muscle car on the slick, wet roads - he wanted me to crash! Unfortunately for God, even engineers from Dodge can outsmart him. Their implementation of traction control kept me safe and God was powerless.
Note there was no thunder or lightning though, so God was obviously trying to be sneaky and subtle about it all. He can be a sneaky fucker sometimes!

3. The reason I took the car for a drive was because I was going to Starbucks for lunch (rare occurrence in itself, but not the truly rare occurrence here), to meet a stranger from Manchester England, who now lives in New York, who randomly contacted me about a pension I may, or may not, have in the UK, that may, or may not, be frozen, and he has a solution to make it live again, if his first two assumptions were correct.

Keeping up in that run-on sentence?

Anyway, if that wasn't a rare occurrence I don't know what is.

So this random guy is a financial advisor who specializes in this sort of overseas pension dilemma thing. He didn't murder me, or cause any kind of physical or emotional distress to me. He did enjoy our short discussion about how crazy Mormonism is. He even had his own story to tell about an event that occurred when one off the apostles died, which was pretty funny.

Overall the discussion and time spent with the random stranger dude was positive and worth my time.

So now my 2 hours is well and truly up, and I don't have any meaningful evidence that God is angry at me, or has has made any meaningful effort to make Dazzler happy.

I had a good few hours though (apart from the 1 hour I wasted in the pointless and boring meeting). Maybe I wasn't faithless enough, maybe I wasn't evil enough. If only I had tried harder.....

Edit: I forgot rare occurrence 4:
My stupid badge wouldn't let me back into the parking lot when I returned. Luckily the guy behind me knew me and got out of his car and opened the gate for me with his badge. So God was thwarted there by a simple act from a colleague.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 08:27PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:54PM

You're gonna have some bad karma is you don't tell us the English dude's funny story about the time an apostle died, and it better be funny!

Date: May 26, 2016 02:04PM

Uh oh. More karmic threats. And even added pressure of a story that must be funny.

Date: May 26, 2016 02:08PM

Hey, real life isn't about lah de dah lunch time drives in the rain to eat at Starbucks!!!

Well, no, that's not true. I repent.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:55PM

I'm more surprised that you have a Dodge in the UK. That's what you're saying, right? I suppose it has LHD, too, which has to make it hard to drive there.

Date: May 26, 2016 05:45PM

Not as surprised as I would be if I were in the UK.

I'm in Houston, TX. Dodges aplenty.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:45PM

Hard to get a gun rack in a Dodge charger.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 05:55AM

Mixing you up with someone else, then. I somehow thought you were in the UK. I would say that Starbucks tipped me off, but I saw them all over parts of Europe.

Date: May 27, 2016 09:47AM

I am from the UK. I just happen to live in the US right now.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:34AM

Just curious- what part of Houston? I grew up in Clear Lake.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:21PM

Ah, yes, once again "god" fails to do anything significant. Or anything at all.
I'm sure our "challenger" (no Dodge pun intended!) will insist you weren't faithful/faithless enough, or that something DID happen and you just didn't notice, or that you're lying, or something else to justify the outcome.
Sigh.

p.s. I'd like to hear the apostle story, too -- but no pressure to be funny! I don't have a "god" to threaten you with...

Date: May 26, 2016 07:35PM

Ok, here is the apostle story.

I don't have any supporting evidence.
I only met this guy today for the first time ever.
His story is second hand.
I have no names or dates to corroborate anything.

So the Financial advisor I met today has clients in SLC.
One client has a good friend (who is a surgeon, a non member) that lives in a gated community in SLC with very large fancy homes.

The surgeon's neighbour was one of the 12 apostles.

One day a convoy of vehicles come up to the apostles house. The convoy included the "guy who is equivalent to the Pope for Mormons". So we are talking about the Prophet himself. The neighbour thinks nothing of it.

After about an hour the wife of the apostle knocks on the surgeons door. She tells him her husband has died and that she needs him over there quickly. the surgeon thinks he is being asked to go over to certify death, so he grabs his little bag of surgeon stuff and heads over.

When he arrives he asks where the body is and the wife looks confused. She says the body has been taken away to the morgue.

So now the surgeon is confused, why was he needed?

She takes him to a large and fancy wine cellar. Stocked with some very expensive and nice wines. Probably 1,000 bottles (again this number is subject to exaggeration for effect no doubt).

She tells the surgeon that in a few hours family members will start coming to the house, that high ranking LDS leaders will be coming to the house, that family members will be digging around looking for little mementos to claim to help them remember their lost father/grandfather/sibling, etc. They MUST NOT accidentally come across the wine that her husband had been collecting and enjoying.

She asked the non-member surgeon to come buy to remove all the apostle's wine from the house. Not to provide any medical care, or certify death.

The surgeon reported to his friend that he hasn't been able to drink cheap wine again. The wine was so good that he just can't order a bottle of wine for $100 at a restaurant and enjoy it like he used to.

That's the story. Can't verify a word of it.

Posted by: dazzler ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:04PM

Im glad u had a chance to reflect on 2 hours of current life and look for God in it. However, I apologize for thinking this site was for healing exmos and trying to find reason outside of Mormonism. It seems like u guys abandoned your belief in God altogether, but I didnt and am going to search for a site thats for exmos that still believe in God.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:14PM

To some it is given to heal from the Mormon bullshit by abandoning belief in a deity altogether, and to some it is given to heal by finding a different belief in a different way to worship. So....What is the problem? And that is more of a rhetorical question....

Posted by: dazzler ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:19PM

I thought the site name was exmormon not exjesus, but whatever. People on this site are haters & in many ways no different from those lying ass leaders in mormonism.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:33PM

I think this site is definitely exjebus...not sure about the exjesus thing you mention.

And regarding the hater comment... That really hurt. I mean deep. No doubt by the time I press Post Message

Date: May 26, 2016 08:33PM

The truth is that many of us simply don't agree with YOU.

The odds are good that you'll figure out how to integrate with people who don't buy everything you're selling.

Also, good luck finding a lover who won't disappoint you by NOT buying into every single facet of your particular brand of christianity.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:41AM

Yeah, whatever.

You're just butthurt that you can't preach and convert here.

You're right. You're not a good fit for this BB.

Date: May 26, 2016 08:50PM

I think your plan sounds like a good one.

I don't think this ex-mo site is the right one for you.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 01:57AM

Meaning? The meaning is within you.

I'm not an atheist but I like this group because the atheists call it like they see it. They can be very insightful. The empathy here is off the charts. Of course, in any group you have a certain percentage of noise generators but in RFM it's not bad.

Date: May 27, 2016 09:58AM

dazzler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, I
> apologize for thinking this site was for healing
> exmos and trying to find reason outside of
> Mormonism.

That's just what it is. Not everyone heals the way you do. That's what you seem to be having a problem with. Why?

> It seems like u guys abandoned your
> belief in God altogether

Yes, I did. For very good, rational reasons. That was one part of my 'healing' from mormonism.

> but I didnt and am going
> to search for a site thats for exmos that still
> believe in God.

Can't stand people who don't believe the same things you do, huh? Shame. You could learn something from such people, and perhaps they from you.

You came on here spitting god "challenges" (just like the mormons do with their BOM 'challenge' and such), and threats (just like mormons do). I'd suggest you haven't 'healed' from mormonism at all, you're just reliving it with jeeezus version 1.1. You might want to think about that. Or not. Up to you.
Have a good life.

Date: May 27, 2016 11:08AM

Everyone should find a forum they feel comfortable in. I used to dislike RfM, but used to enjoy the NOM forums. Now I can't read a word of NOM stuff without cringing at the mental gymnastics. I now find RfM is a closer fit to me now, the people here are smart, kind, sarcastic, supportive, understanding, knowledgeable, etc.

Date: May 27, 2016 11:11AM

...and good-looking. You forgot that one, Scotslander.

;-)

Date: May 27, 2016 11:41AM

I didn't want you to think I was hitting on you, so I left that one out.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 11:20AM

Thanks to all for the comments and candor!

Loved your report scotslander and dazzler - thanks for inspiring it. I think exmormon.com is a christian site? Not actually sure and I have no time to look. The dog and I are heading out to look for evidence of things not seen. (in her case coyote pee!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.